Oklahoma lieutenant indicted for stopping active shooter

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TomV
Posts in topic: 1

Oklahoma lieutenant indicted for stopping active shooter

Post by TomV »

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... B7o5zaslCs

I really am at a loss of words for this one
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philip964

Re: Oklahoma lieutenant indicted for stopping active shooter

Post by philip964 »

What has Oklahoma turned blue.

This is insane.

What kind of State AG do they have?

Says he is a Republican.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

philip964 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:57 pm What has Oklahoma turned blue.

This is insane.

What kind of State AG do they have?

Says he is a Republican.
Lt. Mitchell was indicted DA Jason Hicks, also Republican.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Unbelievable! He very well could have saved many lives for doing what he did and he got indicted for it?? Insanity. Pure insanity. I pray he gets no billed. He should be given a medal for what he did.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

bbhack

Post by bbhack »

Soros is meddling in local elections, and that means DAs too.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

If there is not more to this story this is a sad day in America.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I've come to believe that the Republican label means nothing. Most of the people running in Texas in red districts know that they cannot be elected if they run as a Democrat so they select to represent the party through which a victory is possible. If anyone has any doubts about the extent of the problem, you only have to look at the track records of the elected officials on the Republican platform that they were supposed to be supporting. I'm guessing that Oklahoma is not different. It is only when a difficult situation arises and the elected official decides in a way that isn't consistent with their pre-election promises that we recognize the depth of their betrayal. District Attorney candidates seem per-disposed to a Liberal mind set. Conversely, I cannot remember a single example of someone running as a Democrat and ending up acting like a Conservative.

One has to question exactly what the "crime" was here. Was it using the rifle in the first place? Given the current bias against all things AR-15, that wouldn't be surprising. Was it the number of rounds? If 30 rounds had been fired or maybe 10-15, would it still have been a criminal act? Was it even engaging an active shooter? I've listened to the lament of family members after their loved one was killed in an armed robbery attempt say that the perpetrator of the original crime meant no harm. The woman shooter probably wouldn't have actually hurt anyone if the police had just let her run out of ammo.

But perhaps even more heinous than any of that is my chief concern with District Attorneys. They seem to file cases based on whether those matters will advance their careers rather than to serve justice. I get it. You don't want to file cases that you don't that you can will but I feel sometimes that they do exactly that. The odds of a "win" on this one seem pretty long. Whatever happened to mens rea? It was a stretch for me on that subject with that Amber Geiger case. This one goes far beyond that. Is the implication that all police officers have a latent homicidal bent and take a law enforcement job to be injected into situations where they can carry it out? Shouldn't that have to be something that has to be proved in order to convict in a matter like this? The officer would not have been there except for the actions of shooter. Unless he was just waiting to use deadly force, there can be nothing criminal about the described events, at least for me. Perhaps there are additional circumstances but even my vivid imagination cannot come up with anything that would tip the description of this matter in a different direction.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

If you took the time to read the story, "a state grand jury determined that Lt. Mitchell engaged in “imminently dangerous conduct” without excusable or justifiable cause by firing approximately 60 rounds during the gun battle". Even if the officer fired only 30 rounds at the suspect when (she?) was cornered, that's a ton of lead flying around. He's not being indicted for stopping an active shooter, he's being indicted, correctly if you ask me, for basically continuing to shoot after the threat had been stopped and endangering fellow officers and the community.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

LDP wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:10 pm
baseballguy2001 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:06 pm If you took the time to read the story, "a state grand jury determined that Lt. Mitchell engaged in “imminently dangerous conduct” without excusable or justifiable cause by firing approximately 60 rounds during the gun battle". Even if the officer fired only 30 rounds at the suspect when (she?) was cornered, that's a ton of lead flying around. He's not being indicted for stopping an active shooter, he's being indicted, correctly if you ask me, for basically continuing to shoot after the threat had been stopped and endangering fellow officers and the community.
Understood.
But I don't get why they slapped him with "2nd degree murder" then instead of something like "reckless endangerment". That's what puzzles me.
Is this just some silly vindication to begin with?

From reading the (limited) story, it seems like they kept shooting until they stopped the truck/threat. It took 60 rounds. Okay. It could have taken 59 or 61, it is hard to tell. But they stopped the threat and ceased fire. Unless there is more evidence that is not published in the story.
Got a link to a more detailed story?
Yes, the charge would seem to indicate that this is about the officer killing the fleeing suspect versus how many rounds he fired to do so. So the charge would seem to indicate that an officer would not be allowed to kill a fleeing suspect despite the fleeing suspect having used deadly force against several other people. I believe that DA has overcharged and I hope the officer will win the case. As you stated, if they had a problem with him shooting too much, then they could have found a charge more appropriate to that.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”