Mass shooter stopped

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Mass shooter stopped

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

An armed school resource officer shot an armed student before he could kill anyone else. I'm really curious to see how much airtime this will get on CNN. My guess is precisely zero.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsin-hi ... l-incident

OneGun

Re: Mass shooter stopped

Post by OneGun »

I always wonder what is the demarcation point between a shooter and mass shooter? How much ammo makes a shooter a mass shooter?

I'm glad the officer stopped the kid. The kid should have obeyed the officer.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

jerry_r60

Re: Mass shooter stopped

Post by jerry_r60 »

LDP wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:03 pm
OneGun wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm I always wonder what is the demarcation point between a shooter and mass shooter? How much ammo makes a shooter a mass shooter?
I've had the same question for a while now.
I do not know of any legal definition of a "mass shooter" or "mass shooting".
It seems that it is in the eye of the beholder, as in: ignorant journalists. When you search for mass shooting statistics, you find conflicting information, probably based on the lack of an official definition.
Does anybody have a good source/explanation, by a chance?
OneGun wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm I'm glad the officer stopped the kid. The kid should have obeyed the officer.
Well, the kid lives. So they won't be charging the officer with 2nd degree murder (poking fun at OK here).
Unless they charge him with attempted murder.

I'll watch the news tonight on multiple channels, let's see whether anybody mentions it.
There are multiple variations for the answer to "what's the definition of a mass shooting". The FBI doesn't define "mass shootings" but has a mass murder definition sometimes used. Other groups, newspapers, studies have used variations of the FBI definition. This article from the rand.org has an article with a table showing definitions used by various groups. It seems like one variable is if you include the shooter if he/she is shot. There are other groups beyond what is cited in the article but they seem to revolve around these same definitions.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-polic ... tings.html

Return to “The Crime Blotter”