Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

Post by K-Texas »

Pic from one of the game cameras mounted on the exterior of his house. The time was 5:56PM on Monday. She didn't wait for total darkness and has began terrorizing his neighborhood on the edge of his very small town. Going out to tests slugs this afternoon and the .357 Magnum shotshells I've been making. ;-)

Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My Shooting Partner's New Pig!

Post by Mike S »

I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Mike S wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:
LOL! If he had one, little piggy would have already been dispatched. The only roasting once she is dispatched won't likely leave much behind. ;-)

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Piggy got dropped yesterday by a .308 150 gr. Winchester Power Point at 75+ yards. About 3" behind her left ear and lower to around eye level. She dropped like a sack of bricks. Just a day before as we were leaving the local range, my SP got a call and pic from his wife. His neighbor asked that if the sow was on his property, could my SP please dispatch here. Exactly what occurred.

My SP has had numerous hog sightings on his property from the exterior cameras. In all case except this one, the hogs seemed to just pass through. This sow, however, decided to take up residence and terrorized the neighborhood. Maybe because of her piglets. But no more. ;-)

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

How big was she? I just had a tech from the cable company leave here, but while here, he told me he dropped two hogs just yesterday at his brother's place in Poolville. He said the two hogs had attacked his brother's domestic pig, fighting over its food. Gashed the domestic pig up some, but it's doing alright now. Scratch two feral hogs at fairly close range with an AR10.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lynyrd »

Good job! Right behind the ear and they go down instantly. In the chest, not so much.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:36 pm How big was she? I just had a tech from the cable company leave here, but while here, he told me he dropped two hogs just yesterday at his brother's place in Poolville. He said the two hogs had attacked his brother's domestic pig, fighting over its food. Gashed the domestic pig up some, but it's doing alright now. Scratch two feral hogs at fairly close range with an AR10.
TAM, as you can see from the pic she was tall. Maybe not as heavy as she could be, I suspect, because she was weaning piglets. When my SP got the invite to take her out on his neighbor's property, he wasn't quite sure how he'd load it on his pickup, but he was quite pleased that his neighbor had extended the offer. She was shot on the neighbors property with a good bank of dirt behind her. A tank was on the other side of her, what we call man made watering holes out here.

He's about 35 miles NNW of me and about 45 SE of Abilene. They're getting out of hand here, but that seems to be the case all over Texas. She was bedding down near that same location in a brush thicket. It appeared she had no plans to leave, so there were several of his neighbors wanting her eradicated.

He had several options as far as gun and caliber. I made those 158 gr. XTPs I posted on with that purpose in mind as a defense precaution. We looked at Buckshot and slugs at the range on Wednesday but were not able to test the 000 Buck because the loads were old enough that they had deteriorated. No problem there because I'm gonna pull the 000 pellets for another shotshell project since they're .355"/9mm in diameter.

I encouraged him to use our 5.56mm NATO load that uses the tough 75 gr. Hornady HPBT Match w/cannelure at just over 2750 FPS from our 16" barrels and 30 rounds of opportunity. I knew though if the shot presented itself his preference was his Savage M10 in .308 Win. He got that shot exactly where he wanted to take it with the dirt barrier on the other side of her. ;-)

The Annoyed Man

Yah gotta love some .308. :thumbs2:

I've got 2 bolt guns and a semiauto in that caliber, and they're keepers.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

TAM, to my way of thinking, the .308 Winchester is one of the most useful calibers we have for anything larger than Varmints up to anything to be found in the lower 48. I'm kind of partial to the 7mm-08 REM, but it was the .308 WIN that spawned it.

Lynyrd, no doubt about it. My SP said she dropped like a sack of bricks immediately! ;-)

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

Mike S wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm I must admit, when I read the title I thought the thread was going to have a picture of your shooting buddy rocking an M-60 machine gun. :oops:
Gotta love the vets among us. That was my first thought too.
Steve Rothstein

The Annoyed Man

srothstein wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Not just the vets, because that was my initial thought too when I first saw the title in the active threads list.

#TINVOWOOT

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:09 pm
srothstein wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Not just the vets, because that was my initial thought too when I first saw the title in the active threads list.
I'll buy that. Most vets who carried or worked around them knew the nickname. I wasn't aware that others would recognize it but I should have known better.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”