Post by John Galt »

extremist wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pmYawn
Exactly!

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Glock 44 - .22 LR pistol

Post by K-Texas »

I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I've owned a few. I am, however, impressed with the simplicity of this Model 44's design. One question remains concerning the energy of different .22 LR loads, and if any change in spring weight will be required for rounds like the Stingers, etc? If Glock has them all covered with the unit supplied, that's certainly a +. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

ELB wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 pm
NotRPB wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 pm Interesting that the .22 round must be so large that this pistol can only hold ten of them double stacked? :lol:
I bet there will be aftermarket mags soon
I believe it’s something of an engineering feat to get rimmed 22 cartridges to feed properly. Seem to be a lot of 10 round semi auto 22 magazines. Somebody, I think Taurus? Beretta? had a double stack 22 magazine, But that seems to be a rare creature.

The 22 caliber Glock in G19 form factor is a great idea for 1990. 😊

Still a good idea today. I’d like to have one.
As far as Taurus and Beretta having double stacked rim fire mags I have no knowledge. I do know .22 rimfire cartridges are an enigma to engineers to design a double stack mag. The rime causes the rounds to "veer" out of line for lack of a better term. That's why as you state it's a rare creature. I don't know if Ruger ever attempted it; if they did it must have been unsuccessful since they use rotary on their rifles and single stack on the pistols.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

The only Glock I, and a buttload of other folks, have really really wanted Glock to produce is a full size, single stack (10+1 or so), .45.

They have come out with everything but that :banghead:

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

I saw a post on FB from Glock that said, "The new .22 LR, GLOCK 44 will offer a threaded barrel that will be sold separately. The G44 and threaded barrel will be available January 20, 2020."

I don't understand, what is the difference with the barrel that it's coming with?
Last edited by txcshooter on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That’s not only a .22 pistol I want, it’s a .22 pistol my G19-owning wife will likely approve buying. I don’t really care if the magazine "only" holds 10 rounds. My Ruger 22/45 mags only hold 10 rounds, and that’s a non-issue. I wouldn’t be buying it for self-defense. When I do buy it, I’ll also order the threaded barrel, and I’ll add a .22 suppressor to my trust. It’ll be a great training aid for my grandkids when they’re old enough, for the self-defense caliber pistols they’ll eventually inherit from me after my passing.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I'd like to use one of my GSSF coupons for one of these. I hope they put it into the program.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 am That’s not only a .22 pistol I want, it’s a .22 pistol my G19-owning wife will likely approve buying. I don’t really care if the magazine "only" holds 10 rounds. My Ruger 22/45 mags only hold 10 rounds, and that’s a non-issue. I wouldn’t be buying it for self-defense. When I do buy it, I’ll also order the threaded barrel, and I’ll add a .22 suppressor to my trust. It’ll be a great training aid for my grandkids when they’re old enough, for the self-defense caliber pistols they’ll eventually inherit from me after my passing.
Sounds to me like what it was intended for. Having spent most of my working life as a designer, I can say that the very best design trait is simplicity. I think Glock did a very good job of that. And whether or not Gaston was personally involved. ;-)
Last edited by K-Texas on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

LDB415 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:55 pm I'd like to use one of my GSSF coupons for one of these. I hope they put it into the program.
GT Distributors is currently advertising them for pre-orders. They are asking $359 for both public and blue label pricing. Based on that, I doubt the GSSF would be a different price, but I admit not knowing their program.
Steve Rothstein

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Rob72 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 am
K-Texas wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:31 pm I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I've owned a few. I am, however, impressed with the simplicity of this Model 44's design. One question remains concerning the energy of different .22 LR loads, and if any change in spring weight will be required for rounds like the Stingers, etc? If Glock has them all covered with the unit supplied, that's certainly a +. ;-)
It is unlikely that the springs are able handle Hyper-velocity and Standard as the OAL of a .22LR is nominally 0.985" and the 9mm is 0.984; therefore, the slide has to travel the same distance, and without a longer slide allowing the primary spring to bear the load of Standard velocity ammo, with extra travel length for the secondary spring to adequately buffer Hyper-velocity. Alternatively, they could shorten the secondary spring and barrel, and increase the weight of the secondary spring for higher pressure rounds, dicey at best. The fact that they have a sub-caliber mechanism that mirrors the full-size weapon is remarkable enough, assuming that it works (as does Advantage Arms, TacSol) with standard loads.

Another attraction is that it appears you're getting a standard G19 frame for ~$100 less than a G19, so it may be a more economical multi-caliber base for some folks.
Okay, I'll trust that you've checked the SAAMI spec for .22LR "nominal" length. You might want to check your numbers for 9 x 19mm. SAAMI Max OACL is still 1.169" while Max case-length is .754". I can't honestly say that I've checked to see if CCI still makes the Stinger, but I did notice that Aguila is making a load very similar. As far as cartridge geometry, I don't see that as an issue. And with the dual recoil spring set-up of the G44, seems to me that getting reliable function with a hyper .22 LR round would be as simple as adding spring weight, if one is required. Maybe I'm missing something here? ;-)

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

delete
Last edited by K-Texas on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

not my day!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ELB wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:55 pm
NotRPB wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 pm Interesting that the .22 round must be so large that this pistol can only hold ten of them double stacked? :lol:
I bet there will be aftermarket mags soon
I believe it’s something of an engineering feat to get rimmed 22 cartridges to feed properly. Seem to be a lot of 10 round semi auto 22 magazines. Somebody, I think Taurus? Beretta? had a double stack 22 magazine, But that seems to be a rare creature.

The 22 caliber Glock in G19 form factor is a great idea for 1990. 😊

Still a good idea today. I’d like to have one.
It’s Taurus. MAC just released a video about it, and it seems like a neat little gun. Magazine is a 16 round double-stack.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”