Pmags- gen 2 vs gen 3 questions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Pmags- gen 2 vs gen 3 questions

Post by flechero »

Looking for a little guidance from the brain trust! I'm pretty new to the MSR platform. I would like to take some gift proceeds and buy mags. Can someone give me the practical differences in the G2 vs G3 Pmags? The write up says the follower and dust cover are the main differences. I know the Pmag G2 was the gold standard for a long time so is the follower in the G3 really better for a moderate round count shooter?

Thoughts on mag windows?

Any other observations or differences I should know?

Thanks gents! :tiphat:

Jago668

Re: Pmags- gen 2 vs gen 3 questions

Post by Jago668 »

Here is a good write up on it. However there is basically no functional difference most of are going to see or need.

https://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/differen ... pul-pmags/
NRA Benefactor Member

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

I usually purchase the Gen 2s because they are usually more economical. Have a few Gen 3s.
All have no windows. When using in carbine matches, I have no time to look at the window.
Either one is fine. The link above is a good read and very informative.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I have several of both generations and a few of the 40-rounders.

Performance wise, I haven't noticed any difference between the generations. I have a few with the window and also haven't needed it.

Dust cover? Eh! It's not that dusty out at the range or sitting next to my bed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

strogg

Post by strogg »

@Jago668. Good link. Thanks for the info.

I'm with C-dub when it comes to the mags, though. I don't shoot enough to warrant spending the extra few bucks on a Gen 3. The 2's are easier to find in bulk and on sale. I have had a DOA gen 2 mag, though. It had major FTF problems from the get-go. I'm not sure if the gen 3's are any better in that regard, but I suspect the one gen 2 is more of the exception than the rule. 1 in 20 ain't all that bad.

As far as windowed mags go, I buy those solely for my .458 SOCOM. It's pretty simple. Windowed = .458. Regular black = 5.56. FDE = .300 blk. It's hard to mix those up.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Thanks guys. I'm seeing 10 packs of gen 3 on sale online as well, so they can work out to G2 prices. I bought a single G3 yesterday to try out. For similar price, I'm inclined to go G3 if it runs for me.

Saw this yesterday. Magpul rep goes through the G3 features... different [new] polymer, over insertion stops, better traction, improved follower, etc.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have used the gen 2 since shortly after Obama was elected for 3 gun, carbine matches and training classes and have never had any issues with these magazines. I have some with the window and some without. I thought it would be good to have the window to check round availability during a stage but I never once did that. Don't know if I would get the ones with windows again. I was told that the dust cover was needed to prevent the magazine lips from spreading when loaded. I emailed Magpul earlier today and got the following reply:

We consider use of the Impact/Dust Cover optional as we have never observed any appreciable feed lip creep on the PMAG. Fully loaded with the cover on storage life should be indefinite. Without the cover we've had full magazines loaded for over four years now and have seen no issues.
So, for duty use I wouldn't worry about not using the Impact/Dust Cover. However, for loaded storage of years or decades at a time the cover will keep dirt out of the mag and protect the feed lips from impact damage as well as possible feed lip creep.

So, I don't know that the dust covers are needed.

I have some of the Lancer magazines as well and they have been flawless. A former Delta guy I have trained with prefers the Lancer magazines. I have not been where he has but they all work well for me.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

Lancers are real good

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a lot of Gen1 and Gen2 PMAGs, but no Gen3s....so far as I can remember. The only difference I can tell is that the Gen2s didn’t come with the dust cover that the Gen1s came with. There may be some minor cosmetic or functional changes between the 2 types, but none of those changes seem to have affected the magazine's performance one way or the other. I suppose that by now, Gen3s are more probably commonly found than the other types, but I don’t really think it matters a hill of beans. They’ve ALL worked beautifully, needing only an occasional cleaning.

I haven’t tried any Lancer mags yet.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am a Mag-Pul fan, although I here that the Lancers are very good also. I use them in my Ruger Scout rifle. I particularly like the Gen 3. I store my ammo in them so that they remain stuffed for months at a time. The dust covers do give an added measure of security. But the most important thing to me is that I can just stuff them in a pocket and not worry about contamination. one of the reasons I like the polymer mags though is that they don't clang nor rip holes in pockets. My preference for mags is the 20 round, count models. They carry better, and the extra 10 rounds don't seem to be worth the loss of convenience and compactness.

All my Pmags so far have been flawless.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I user lancers for defense/hunting ammo, and pmags for practice ammo. Don't have to look and see what is in the mag, just grab and go. Also another bit of information (of questionable usefulness) is that lancers and gen 3 pmags have smaller bases, so in double stack pouches they are slightly easier to get hold of than gen 2 pmags. Nothing major, but it is there.
NRA Benefactor Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:10 am I am a Mag-Pul fan, although I here that the Lancers are very good also. I use them in my Ruger Scout rifle. I particularly like the Gen 3. I store my ammo in them so that they remain stuffed for months at a time. The dust covers do give an added measure of security. But the most important thing to me is that I can just stuff them in a pocket and not worry about contamination. one of the reasons I like the polymer mags though is that they don't clang nor rip holes in pockets. My preference for mags is the 20 round, count models. They carry better, and the extra 10 rounds don't seem to be worth the loss of convenience and compactness.

All my Pmags so far have been flawless.
I prefer the 20-rounders too for range work, and I’ve also used them to differentiate between different kinds of ammo. For instance, in 300 Blk, I’ve used 20-rounders for subsonics, and 30-rounders for supersonics. I’ve done the same before with 5.56 subs....although it’s been a while since I’ve had any of those. But in a similar vein, I keep a couple of 20-rounders stuffed with 55 grain softpoints for HD, and 30-rounders loaded with ball in case things get cranked up to ludicrous.

Also, this guy has used a LOT of different magazines, in actual combat, and he endorses Lancer mags too. My son has a few clear magazines that turn out to be Lancers.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”