Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mr surveyor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Church shooting in Tarrant County - White Settlement

Post by mr surveyor »

are we back to using the term "church security team" rather than "church safety team"? I may be a bit behind on the accepted terminology.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

AndyC beat me to it. :thumbs2:
Last edited by Pawpaw on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Grayling813 »

mr surveyor wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm are we back to using the term "church security team" rather than "church safety team"? I may be a bit behind on the accepted terminology.

jd
Depends on whether or not the church is operating as Texas licensed security.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bbhack wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:03 pm I dl'ed the video before it was removed, if anyone wants a copy.
Pm sent.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The parishioner who was shot was trying to draw from concealment. He made a couple of mistakes; letting the gunman see him drawing and standing still. To quote Clint Smith: "If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:08 pm
bbhack wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:03 pm I dl'ed the video before it was removed, if anyone wants a copy.
Pm sent.
The video is on the Star Telegram’s page https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 07963.html
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

ELB
Posts in topic: 14

Post by ELB »

Keith B wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:15 pm The parishioner who was shot was trying to draw from concealment. He made a couple of mistakes; letting the gunman see him drawing and standing still. To quote Clint Smith: "If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin, you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
My thought also, and he took a long time to draw. Hard to tell how much room there was on far side of church, he may not have had much room to maneuver, but he took too long to draw, and drawing from 4 o'clock really telegraphs the draw. Brave man, RIP.
USAF 1982-2005

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Second parishioner reportedly has died.

And some really good comments in the press conference from the Lt Governor and Law Enforcement officials stating how having their own well-trained citizen security group prevented more lives from being taken
Keith

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

philip964 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:47 pm https://www.click2houston.com/news/2019 ... orth-area/

Says “security guard” murdered. “A dear friend”.

Also says murderer was one of the dead.
Maybe it has been amended, but I think this is what you saw. It sounds a little different now.
An elder at the church told the New York Times that one of those killed was a security guard who responded to the shooter, calling him a dear friend.
It sounds to me like the security guard was a dear friend of the elder. Is that what you meant?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

bbhack
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bbhack »

Several have asked for the dl'ed file. Here's that link:

https://safe-storage-misc.s3.amazonaws.com/m8sly.mp4
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The guy who took out the trash was a trained shooter.

C747D05E-F67D-4D89-92FF-7A9FE3CF4B71.jpeg
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

From this article https://pluralist.com/gunman-opens-fire ... ed-deacon/
The congregant said the shooter was killed by a deacon, who is also a concealed carry instructor and a retired law enforcement office. He “shot the guy before he could fire a third time,” the witness said on Facebook.
Keith

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:25 pm The guy who took out the trash was a trained shooter.

C747D05E-F67D-4D89-92FF-7A9FE3CF4B71.jpeg
Which explains the very accurate "lights out" shot. I know it is considered best practice to aim center of mass but in this case it is very possible that the shooter could have gotten off another round or three before succumbing to his wounds. Head shot stopped him immediately. Good call in this case.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”