Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Is Taurus CS the worst in the Imdustry?

Post by K-Texas »

My older brother got into shooting kind of late in life. His first purchase was a lightly used older Rossi .38 Special from Interarms, pre-Taurus who have essentially killed off the brand.

After he began considering getting his CHL, he bought an infamous PT-111 Millenium Pro in 9mm. He paid $350 + tax. Then the recall occurred. I wondered if he wouldn't be better off by sending them his, but he had never had a problem with it, and they were only paying out $200 per pistol. A bit later, he contacted them with his experience of no problems, I guess for assurance's sake. They were adamant that he return it for replacement, they had stopped refunding by then.

Unfortunately, he capitulated and sent them his pistol, I believe, over three months ago. Each time he has contacted them about them not sending the replacement, the G2c that is now retailing for less than $200 from some dealers, he keeps getting the same story, "we apologize, and will get one shipped to you in 2 or 3 weeks."

What a joke! For many years the only product they sold that I'd even entertain was the PT-92. I bought several over a span from 1986 until the last one in 2008. My opinion being the 92 purchased in 08 was not the same quality as the earlier models. Unfortunately, I wasn't with my brother when he made the purchase, or I would have advised him against it. In fairness, however, he had none of the reported problems affecting the recall. Think we both wish now that he had just kept the PT-111.

Like the axiom: Buyer Beware! ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Texas_Blaze
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is Taurus CS the worst in the Imdustry?

Post by Texas_Blaze »

My Rossi 38 snub has been in their backlog for four months. I don’t miss it but it’s the principle of the matter.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

After I received my plastic 12/2/08, the first handgun I bought was a Taurus PT111 Millenium, a 9MM. When the class action lawsuit was brought, due to safety problems with multiple Taurus pistols, I stopped using it and got other handguns. I signed up as one of the gun owners with a problem pistol.

The lawsuit took forever to work its way through the system. Finally, I was eligible to get a brand new G2C, the re-designed answer to the PT111 in 9MM.

I called Taurus several times over the months, about a shipping date for my new free pistol. Around 6/28/19, they told me they were backlogged, and that Brazil had to make enough to catch up with demand. ETA please? They told me December 2019. I felt this was bull since there were plenty of G2C's at retail gun dealers, as well as at gun shows. I felt they were stalling since mine was to be sent to me free, due to the lawsuit.

Around Labor Day 2019, I went to the NRA Self Defense event in funky town Fort Worth. I ran into a gentleman from Taurus Corporate and he said call him when he was back in the office. I did.

He told me that my pistol had been cleared for release about 4 days after my 6/28/19 inquiry call, it had been shipped, and had been sent to my chosen FFL, Academy Sports and Outdoors in Lewisville. I called Academy, ID'd myself, and yes, they had my pistol.

Taurus never called me, texted me, or emailed me that the gun was on its way, 5 months earlier than they told me. Then they compounded the problem of getting the pistol to me. The gun was sent in a single FedEx box, was addressed to me by name, but they DID NOT provide my phone number to Academy.

My pistol was sitting at Academy in Lewisville for almost 2 months because they had my name, but no telephone number, or email address.

As Redd Foxx might say "Taurus, you big dummy!!"

Since I got the G2C, I have shot several hundred trouble free rounds out of it. No issues. Goes bang every time.

Perhaps some of the problems with Taurus CS is that they have moved from Miami, Florida to Bainbridge, Georgia. About 20% of their Miami folks made the move to South Georgia. All of y'all must have experienced not finding everything after moving.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Good stuff! As far as the move to GA, I would ask what even gets moved around in a warehouse these days, that isn't tracked by computer? I understand that only 20% of the production staff moved, but not much less than 100% of the computer tracking changed. ;-)

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I think the only Taurus I'd consider would be the TX22 but in reality, I think I'd rather have a Ruger Mk IV or an S&W Victory 22. My personal motto is "Life is too short to buy a Taurus".
Psalm 91:2

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I’ve had the most issues with Rossi revolvers but I have had some dealings with Taurus CS as a dealer and they do suck. Had one customer ask if I could receive a repaired Taurus. Some time later after it never arrived he called Taurus and come to find out they sent his pistol to a dealer in Louisiana (Taurus didn’t figure this out, the customer did). The dealer that received it had no idea who it was for and Taurus would not let that dealer send it direct to me, they shipped it to Taurus and they shipped to me.

Second one, I sold a Taurus pistol (don’t recall which one) and one mag was broke when it arrived. I told the customer I would get it replaced for them and I called Taurus. They said they were out of stock but would get me one ASAP. Weeks passed and none of my distributors originally had any in stock but I later found one and purchased it for the customer. I was a bit irritated at Taurus since it was talking so long and I was finally able to reach one of their managers who said she would pull a mag from the production line on a new pistol going out. I asked why they didn’t do that in the first place, told them this is why Taurus has a bad name (after telling her of the defective guns of theirs I’ve had) and she apologized and sent me two mags (which I gave to the customer). She also gave me her direct number for future issues and told me to call her next time. So I did the next time I had an issue and guess what? The number was no good and I was never able to reach her again.

So, if you want a Taurus or Rossi buy from a Gallery of Guns dealer and you can utilize their lifetime warranty (they will have it replaced or repaired). You won’t even have to deal with Taurus.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Buy once, cry once.

I used to buy whatever I could afford immediately, and that led to repeated disappointment. I learned that if I saved for the better product (typically more expensive) I had a much brighter outcome.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son's first 1911 (he still has it) was a Taurus PT-1911 that he bought shortly after they first came out. About the same time, I was EDCing a Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless. When I got my Kimber, before I started carrying it, it had repeated malfunctions...like 2-3/magazine...in which it would lock back while there were still rounds in the mag. Someone on this forum at the time advised me that this was a known problem, that early Ultra Carry IIs had been released with a slightly misshapen slide-lock lever, and that if I would contact Kimber, they’d get a replacement part out to me right away....which they did. Sure enough, that cleared up the problem, and I stuck that "bad" slide-lock lever in the gun's box, installed the "good one", ran 500 trouble free rounds through the gun and began carrying it.

Fast forward a few weeks/months later, and my son has his new PT-1911, and we’re at the range at Elm Fork, doing some shooting of 1911s. All of a sudden, his Taurus jams and we notice that the slide-stop lever had worked its way partially out. Upon disassembly, we find that the slide-stop pin had broken mid-shaft, disabling the gun until a replacement part could be procured.

But wait! Dad has a "bad" slide-stop lever in his Kimber's case! Let’s install it and see if it works. That was around 2008/2009. That Kimber slide-stop is still in the Taurus PT-1911, and working just fine. And the stainless steel of the Kimber part sets off nicely against the blue steel of the Taurus slide and frame.

Go figure....
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 pm After I received my plastic 12/2/08, the first handgun I bought was a Taurus PT111 Millenium, a 9MM. When the class action lawsuit was brought, due to safety problems with multiple Taurus pistols, I stopped using it and got other handguns. I signed up as one of the gun owners with a problem pistol.

The lawsuit took forever to work its way through the system. Finally, I was eligible to get a brand new G2C, the re-designed answer to the PT111 in 9MM.

I called Taurus several times over the months, about a shipping date for my new free pistol. Around 6/28/19, they told me they were backlogged, and that Brazil had to make enough to catch up with demand. ETA please? They told me December 2019. I felt this was bull since there were plenty of G2C's at retail gun dealers, as well as at gun shows. I felt they were stalling since mine was to be sent to me free, due to the lawsuit.

Around Labor Day 2019, I went to the NRA Self Defense event in funky town Fort Worth. I ran into a gentleman from Taurus Corporate and he said call him when he was back in the office. I did.

He told me that my pistol had been cleared for release about 4 days after my 6/28/19 inquiry call, it had been shipped, and had been sent to my chosen FFL, Academy Sports and Outdoors in Lewisville. I called Academy, ID'd myself, and yes, they had my pistol.

Taurus never called me, texted me, or emailed me that the gun was on its way, 5 months earlier than they told me. Then they compounded the problem of getting the pistol to me. The gun was sent in a single FedEx box, was addressed to me by name, but they DID NOT provide my phone number to Academy.

My pistol was sitting at Academy in Lewisville for almost 2 months because they had my name, but no telephone number, or email address.

As Redd Foxx might say "Taurus, you big dummy!!"

Since I got the G2C, I have shot several hundred trouble free rounds out of it. No issues. Goes bang every time.

Perhaps some of the problems with Taurus CS is that they have moved from Miami, Florida to Bainbridge, Georgia. About 20% of their Miami folks made the move to South Georgia. All of y'all must have experienced not finding everything after moving.

SIA
I am going to recommend my brother to do the same and check with the dealer it is supposed to ship to. ;-)

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am But wait! Dad has a "bad" slide-stop lever in his Kimber's case! Let’s install it and see if it works. That was around 2008/2009. That Kimber slide-stop is still in the Taurus PT-1911, and working just fine. And the stainless steel of the Kimber part sets off nicely against the blue steel of the Taurus slide and frame.

Go figure....
Tolerances gonna tolerate I suppose. :lol:
Psalm 91:2

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

My Rossi snubnose .357 was really a good gun, and gave me no problems, but they said I should send it in, and it would take 12 weeks. After 3 months, I contacted them. They said it was still in the queue. After 5 months, I tried again, and it took 2 days and 5 phone tree choices to get to a human. At one point, the phone tree told me they were closed (at 2 pm).

This guy said my gun failed inspection, and they would send me a replacement (a cheap 5-shot Taurus revolver), as soon as I select an FFL. He didn't volunteer how long they had been waiting, but they had never contacted me.

Amateurs.

:banghead:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
K-Texas
Banned

Post by K-Texas »

Now for the latest chapter in this saga. My brother just checked with Taurus again and it seems they shipped his replacement pistol to FLA! Don't know how you get Fort Worth, TX confused with FLA, but Taurus managed to find a way! I've never heard of a Fort Worth, FLA??? ;-)

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Oh, here's another example of Taurus not being too quick on the draw.

When I got my free G2C, it would not fit my OWB holster (Bianchi CarryLok, model 82). I wanted an OWB holster so I don't always have to carry in my pocket holster (Remora). Taurus had sent me an email that they had G2C-compatible holsters "in stock". I called and ordered one.

"Well those are backordered due to the strong demand". Bait and switch much? Jerry Seinfeld had to explain the concept of "reservations" to the rental car place. Somebody needs to explain to Taurus what "in stock" means.

So I wait about 8 weeks, then called Taurus for a status. "We just got a batch in, so I will release one for shipping to you."

Taurus allegedly uses a FIFO system. First to order, will be the first to be shipped when they are in.

Isn't it funny though that the day I called, they just happened to have received a holster shipment, and I could get mine??

Methinks the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

K-Texas wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:03 pm Now for the latest chapter in this saga. My brother just checked with Taurus again and it seems they shipped his replacement pistol to FLA! Don't know how you get Fort Worth, TX confused with FLA, but Taurus managed to find a way! I've never heard of a Fort Worth, FLA??? ;-)
My guess would be Lake Worth, or Fort Ward, or take your pick from the list;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_forts_in_Florida
many of which have nearby towns named for them.... :shock:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”