Is it illegal to deface political signs?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bbhack
Posts in topic: 2

Is it illegal to deface political signs?

Post by bbhack »

Asking for a friend. I did a little research and just can't tell. I think they remain the property of the campaign, but the volunteers never pick them up after the elections. At that point they are trash.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Topic author
bbhack

Re: Is it illegal to deface political signs?

Post by bbhack »

Maybe deface is the wrong word. Maybe redesign? Or post an opposing viewpoint with a sharpie?
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

Is it the property of the person defacing it? Does the person defacing it have permission from the owner to do so? If the answer is no to both it would at the very least be vandalism.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I am not a lawyer, but I would think it would depend on where the signs are located
and whether or not the land owner gave permission to post the signs. My thinking
is that if the signs are on public land then they would be trash the same as if some
one dumped them. If they are on private property they belong to the land owner.
In other words, if the sign doesn't belong to the person who is defacing it, they are
destroying someone else's property.
That's just my opinion.
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I would not advocate interfering with anyone's campaign signs.

That being said, in the 2018 election, I pondered offering a deal with some of the folks in my neighborhood who supported Beto. The deal would be that the person whose candidate won, would be allowed to have the campaign signs of the losing candidate. Now I know what you might be thinking, why would I want a Beto sign. The answer is, campaign signs make for great place to stick adhesive and/or paper targets.

I never did make that offer, mostly because those on nextdoor who were Beto supporters seemed a bit on edge. I would rather not do something that would set them off unnecessarily.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Have you called the campaign? They might be willing to let you have it. You are under no obligation to volunteer why you want it. If you want to be on the safe side, record the call.
NRA Benefactor Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

On your property, do what you want. Claim its your 1st amendment right which it should be. Especially if you donated to the campaign to receive the sign. I would not mess with signs in public or on another's property but I have thought about getting a sign to do what the OP is thinking.

You could always make your own sign to say something about a candidate.

I am not a lawyer and this is probably bad advice.
Last edited by jason812 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

My city has volunteers that collect "bandit signs" that violate city ordinances.
https://www.leaguecity.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2094
I would think that most cities would appreciate concerned citizens helping out local government.
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

jason812

Post by jason812 »

WildBill wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:37 pm My city has volunteers that collect "bandit signs" that violate city ordinances.
https://www.leaguecity.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2094
On another note, if you can get the big corrugated plastic signs that are left over, they make good target backers or keep you from getting dirty when you crawl on the ground under a truck, tractor, or car.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “Off-Topic”