Looking for a financial planner

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Looking for a financial planner

Post by jb2012 »

I finished college in 2018, and I’m just now finally settling into a real job. I’m decent with my money, but I’d like to sit down with a financial planner to line out a plan that gives me guidelines for how I should and shouldn’t use my money. Does anyone have any recommendations for a financial planner in the DFW area?

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a financial planner

Post by oohrah »

Check out Scott Burns, financial columnist for the Dallas Morning News, and his Couch Potato Portfolio. Makes a lot of sense and you don't have to pay an agent who only works for commissions.

If you do decide to go to a financial adviser, make sure it someone you pay to look after your interest (there is an official term for this type of person which I can't remember), not a broker agent on commission.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

oohrah wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pm Check out Scott Burns, financial columnist for the Dallas Morning News, and his Couch Potato Portfolio. Makes a lot of sense and you don't have to pay an agent who only works for commissions.

If you do decide to go to a financial adviser, make sure it someone you pay to look after your interest (there is an official term for this type of person which I can't remember), not a broker agent on commission.
The word you are looking for is fiduciary.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:36 pm
oohrah wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:21 pm Check out Scott Burns, financial columnist for the Dallas Morning News, and his Couch Potato Portfolio. Makes a lot of sense and you don't have to pay an agent who only works for commissions.

A fiduciary is typically used to actually take charge of ones finances. It sounds more like the OP was actually looking for someone to simply advise him on financial planning. A simple financial planner is really all that would be needed for this.

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:47 pm

A fiduciary is typically used to actually take charge of ones finances. It sounds more like the OP was actually looking for someone to simply advise him on financial planning. A simple financial planner is really all that would be needed for this.
Not exactly. The fee based planner should have a "fiduciary responsibility" to only his client, meaning he doesn't get paid from what he advised client to buy. There's a whole spectrum of fee-only to fee/commission structures.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If you’re looking for basic guidelines to get started, the company that handles your companies 401K/pension may be able to do that. My company used Fidelity for our 401K and Pension plans and they provided financial advisors free of charge to us.

If you want an outside advisor, then as stated, look for a planner who Has a fiduciary responsibility to you. They will normally charge a flat annual percentage to manage your money. I have one fund that is managed and the fee is 1.8% annually.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TomV

Post by TomV »

We just had a meeting with an Edward Jones guy in Allen yesterday. My first thought when I walked out of his office was "WOW!"
We are doing retirement planning. I'm not sure i understand what you are looking for. Whether it's advice or what, but there are lots of resources out there. I'm a huge fan of Motley Fool and have been for a long time.

If you want someone to do it for you, I'll second the suggestion of a fiduciary and talk to at least three firms.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Keith B wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm If you’re looking for basic guidelines to get started, the company that handles your companies 401K/pension may be able to do that. My company used Fidelity for our 401K and Pension plans and they provided financial advisors free of charge to us.

If you want an outside advisor, then as stated, look for a planner who Has a fiduciary responsibility to you. They will normally charge a flat annual percentage to manage your money. I have one fund that is managed and the fee is 1.8% annually.
Good advice. I'd like to add...if the company matches funds in the 401k, put in as much as you can to get the maximum match.
Charlie

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

TxRVer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 pm
Keith B wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:29 pm If you’re looking for basic guidelines to get started, the company that handles your companies 401K/pension may be able to do that. My company used Fidelity for our 401K and Pension plans and they provided financial advisors free of charge to us.

Good advice. I'd like to add...if the company matches funds in the 401k, put in as much as you can to get the maximum match.
Good point. Our company had a pension plan, but added a 401K as well. A buddy and I asked his Step Dad, who was a very successful business owner and smart on finances about it. His exact words were ‘Put in the max amount the company will match, even if it means you have to eat beans once in a while’. We both did. And, you really don’t miss it since it comes out before taxes. I was able to retire at 55 and live pretty comfortably after 30 years of contributions.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Archery1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:20 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Not exactly. The fee based planner should have a "fiduciary responsibility" to only his client, meaning he doesn't get paid from what he advised client to buy. There's a whole spectrum of fee-only to fee/commission structures.
I get it. That makes sense.

Topic author
jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Thanks for the advice, I didn’t think about consulting with my company’s 401k provider. I’m going to go that route and see where it goes!

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I would encourage you to learn how to do this yourself. I have tried financial managers and always been disappointed with what they have done (in addition to what they charge). I would be glad to share what I have learned if you want to PM. I really is very easy to do and you will be glad that you invested the time to learn this yourself.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

As many have stated, if you pay someone to advise you make sure they are a fiduciary. CFP's (Certified Financial Planner) have that duty, but as my wife and I and several of my co-workers learned even that's not an absolute guaranty. We all had to go to arbitration (FINRA trial) for the unscrupulous treatment we received for the investments we got that pretty much lost all our money. Even though we won in a landmark and highly reported case, we are still fighting the investment firm and their insurance carrier for restitution. One of the two investment counselors/brokers we all used was a CFP.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Off-Topic”