Weird electrical issues at my home!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Weird electrical issues at my home!

Post by K-Texas »

Had a similar experience in 1989 after a thunderstorm and close lightning strikes. Afterward I found that some circuits were not completely grounded, but had not been thrown.

If in doubt, call an electrician to check it out to make sure you have proper grounding of the breaker box. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Sounds like you may have lost a neutral. Check the tightness on all of your neutral wires in your panel as well as the neutral on the incoming wires. If you have voltage coming from all of your breakers, I can’t think of anything else. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

K-Texas
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K-Texas »

One easy test you can do with a volt meter is to check the voltage at various outlets. Compare those that are showing proper voltage against those that are problematic. The circuits that are working properly should show the same voltage at all outlets. That can vary a bit with different energy providers, but typically close to 120V, after you've checked to confirm that no breakers have tripped. ;-)
Anything that can be corrupted by man; will be corrupted.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want . . .

cirus
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cirus »

Reset all your breakers and gfci's. Get a volt meter and check for voltage at all receptacles that were dead. Wouldnt hurt to check voltage at the breakers also. If you reset a gfci and everything comes back on then it is wired wrong. Everyting downstream is on the load side of the gfci instead of the line side. Just bath, kitchen , garage, and exterior outlets should be gfci protected. If lightning didn't hit your house then it was probably a surge from a strike down the road that took out your stuff. I went on a service call back in the summer with the same issues as you. Blown out electronics, power strips, etc. Turned out it was a bad xfmr. It was reading about 130 phase to neutral and almost 260 phase to phase. Yes I'm a electrician

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 am Electricity to me is witchcraft :)
Wrong. It’s voodoo. :lol:

We’ve had the problem before where a tripped GCMI outlet knocks a bunch of other things on the same circuit offline. Called my handyman, he identified the problem, and the next time it happened, we fixed it ourselves. The culprit was a wall outlet in our guest bathroom, of the back hallway. Apparently a blow dryer in the bathroom tripped the outlet, and it shut down our washer and dryer out in the laundry room.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

RPBrown wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:28 pm
Cheapsk8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 pm Check all your gfci outlets and see if any of them are tripped
:iagree:
Last months gfi in my master bathroom tripped and it affected 2 outlets in living room, 1 in master bedroom and light/ceiling fan in master bedroom. All of this but light and exhaust fan in bathroom still worked
Yup, BTDT.
USAF 1982-2005

cirus

Post by cirus »

ELB wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:35 pm
Cheapsk8 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 pm Check all your gfci outlets and see if any of them are tripped
Last months gfi in my master bathroom tripped and it affected 2 outlets in living room, 1 in master bedroom and light/ceiling fan in master bedroom. All of this but light and exhaust fan in bathroom still worked
Yup, BTDT.
If your capable take the gfci out and have a look. If there is a wire on the " load " side take it out and place it on the " line " side with the other romex. Nothing should be on the load side of the gfci except what needs protecting.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 8

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

cirus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm
Yup, BTDT.
If your capable take the gfci out and have a look. If there is a wire on the " load " side take it out and place it on the " line " side with the other romex. Nothing should be on the load side of the gfci except what needs protecting.
If something were wired incorrectly, the problem would have been there all along.

cirus

Post by cirus »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:46 pm
cirus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm
Yup, BTDT.
If something were wired incorrectly, the problem would have been there all along.
I'm just talking about the gfci not the possible lightning or surge problem. If a gfci outlet trips and something goes out other than that what is required to be protected by it then it is wired incorrectly. Is it dangerous? No but it's a nuisance.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

puma guy wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am
AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:33 am Electricity to me is witchcraft :)
It's like plumbing for amps and volts! :lol:
EXACTLY
I wouldn't suggest anything beyond a person's skill level, that could be dangerous.
I suspect you have an electrical leak and need to put duct tape over all outlets that are unused so the electricity stops leaking out.
Leaky electrical probably violates Ohm's Law, and if so, could be an impeachable offense.
:biggrinjester:

Mel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mel »

[/quote]
I'm just talking about the gfci not the possible lightning or surge problem. If a gfci outlet trips and something goes out other than that what is required to be protected by it then it is wired incorrectly. Is it dangerous? No but it's a nuisance.
[/quote]

Sometimes this is done intentionally as an alert that the GFCI has tripped.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

cirus

Post by cirus »

Mel wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:21 pm
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'll just going by 30 years in the electrical field and the NEC. The gfci has a light on it that shows red when it's tripped.

Mel
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mel »

cirus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 pm
[/quote]
I'll just going by 30 years in the electrical field and the NEC. The gfci has a light on it that shows red when it's tripped.
[/quote]

But this indicator light is usually in the bathroom or laundry room. If you have a light in another room, you might notice it sooner.
I've not done this myself, but I've seen it done.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

cirus

Post by cirus »

Mel wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm
cirus wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:32 pm
[/quote]

But this indicator light is usually in the bathroom or laundry room. If you have a light in another room, you might notice it sooner.
I've not done this myself, but I've seen it done.
[/quote]Yeah I've seen all kinds of weird stuff done.

Return to “Off-Topic”