Smith and Wesson releases M&P EZ in 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Smith and Wesson releases M&P EZ in 9mm

Post by Keith B »

Got mine today. Wife likes the easier slide. Think she will probably continue to carry her revolver though. Looking forward to taking to the range and using it as a loaner to students that have trouble with the heavier springs on other pistols.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Mine came today as well... seems much lighter to rack than other guns I compared it to. I handed it to my 11yo son and asked him to verify clear. He was able to pull the slide back without straining. :thumbs2: I think it will serve it's purpose well, assuming it's reliable. I'll run a couple hundred rounds through it before I ask the wife and son to the range. :fire

The grip feels funny to me, though. I think the shape is slightly different than other Shields.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:42 pm
gtolbert09 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm
gtolbert09 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:20 pm Just picked mine up from GrabaGun. I’ll take it to the range tomorrow. It feels like it’s a few ounces heavier and the slide is slightly harder to rack, but it is new. It looks just like the 380 version and magazine looks the same as well. I’ll take it and my 380 EZ to range and shoot them side by side. More to come.
Spent the morning at the range with both the EZ 380 and the EZ 9mm. The 9 is just a little bit heavier. Recoil isn’t bad at all. Very accurate. The magazine for the 9mm has 2 helper tabs instead of one like the 380. This pistol will be popular with folks that have weak wrists\hands and ladies. I shot 50 rounds thru both and they were flawless. Ammo was Spear Lawman 124 gr FMJ 9mm and Spear Lawman 95gr FMJ 380.

It’s a keeper.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/29Gs2TzRz5zHfn617

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NMEuTC2yjKgXh6f56
The outstanding aspect of the 380EZ for people with weak, injured or aging hands is the ease with which the slide can be racked. Do you think the 9mm EZ will be a good fit for those folks?

Chas.
I got one a couple of weeks ago and the slide is a little bit harder to rack than on a .380 EZ, but quite a bit easier than on the 9mm Shield M2 I had. Haven't shot it yet, but will report in when I do.

Crash

bobby
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bobby »

I have the 22 compact, 380 ez and the 9 ez. All 3 fit the same holsters the mags have to have there own pouch but with a MRD the 9mm fits a 1911 pouch and then the 22 and 380 fit a single stack 380 MRD pouch.

Easy to hard is 22 380 9mm slides.

All 3 shot great.
:txflag:

Crash

Post by Crash »

My first range session with my M&P EZ 9mm can be summed up in one word: boring--but in the good way. No failures to feed, fire, or eject with a total of 100 rds of three kinds of FMJ and one type of HP mixed up in two different magazines. Accuracy wasn't great, but good enough for self-defense. Recoil was noticeable, but not at all uncomfortable. A strange thing about the recoil, though--I could feel the slide come back and hit the stop. First time I've ever noticed that in a semi-auto. Also, the top of the gun would roll to the left during recoil unless I put some extra pressure on the grip with my support (left) hand. Just some peculiarities to learn, I suppose.

Crash

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

Ok I consider myself a seasoned shooter. I usually carry a “safe action” style handgun like a Glock. I don’t need or care for manual safeties etc. and when I saw the .380 EZ I laughed it off.

I was at a local gun shop and picked up the 9mm EZ and went back the next day and bought it. I personally love it but also got it for use at home that is something my wife can handle. I really do like this firearm.

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Crash wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:38 pm My first range session with my M&P EZ 9mm can be summed up in one word: boring--but in the good way. No failures to feed, fire, or eject with a total of 100 rds of three kinds of FMJ and one type of HP mixed up in two different magazines. Accuracy wasn't great, but good enough for self-defense. Recoil was noticeable, but not at all uncomfortable. A strange thing about the recoil, though--I could feel the slide come back and hit the stop. First time I've ever noticed that in a semi-auto. Also, the top of the gun would roll to the left during recoil unless I put some extra pressure on the grip with my support (left) hand. Just some peculiarities to learn, I suppose.

Crash
Finally had mine out this weekend. I and had similar experience. It is definitely easier to rack and it was perfectly reliable but seemed as if the recoil was a little heavier than I expected for the size of the gun. I shot 3 pistols on Sunday- all 9mm's with the same ammo. The EZ9, a 1911 and a 12 oz. PF9. I felt like the recoil on the PF9 was tad lighter than the EZ. ? It may be that I'm used to the PF9 and not the EZ but it was strange since the PF9 is smaller.

I finished with the 1911 so I didn't spoil the joy in shooting the others. :lol: :fire
Last edited by flechero on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

All else being equal, a lighter weight firearm will have a stronger recoil impulse due to having less mass that the energy from the cartridge has to work against. Certain laws of physics are hard to get around.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Middle Age Russ wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:17 pm All else being equal, a lighter weight firearm will have a stronger recoil impulse due to having less mass that the energy from the cartridge has to work against. Certain laws of physics are hard to get around.
Really? You’re going to bring science and logic into this? REALLY??? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gtolbert09 »

Hickok45 reviews Shield 9mm EZ

USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”