Been too long

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 5

Been too long

Post by 74novaman »

How’s everybody doing?

Haven’t posted much in a long time. Had issues for a while where I had to log on every single time I visited the forum and got tired of doing it....but figured it was time to try again and reconnect with some of my fellow Texans. :mrgreen:
TANSTAAFL

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Been too long

Post by longtooth »

Guess I'll start it then. I am the early bird here. Breakfast is already done. Finishin the 1st pot of coffee now. Welcome back. Hope you stay daily back involved. I did that too for a while but not due to log in. Just got to many life issues there for a while . Prolly shuda stayed here for stress relief but did not manage it.
I guess biggest good news that is new is I lost nearly 50 pounds and feel better.
Everybody healthy for our age.
Lord blessed us w/ a husband for our Granddaughter. They live bout 500 yds from us.
He looks like will be a really good one. Good worker on a pretty good job for not quit 21 yet.
Catch us up on all your blessings.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Welcome back, I've had similar recurring problems with the logins also. Usually after the forum has been down for maintenance or something. Sometimes it takes a few days for the stay logged in function to work.
N5PNZ

papabear

Post by papabear »

Welcome back. I learn from evefbody.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

Welcome back to the forum. I am doing okay. Had some health issues, but they are under control.
In addition to the CHL topics I have missed your cooking and your music posts. I am not nearly as active
posting as I used to be. I guess, I don't have as much new to say. ;)
NRA Endowment Member

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

About to head home from the middle east after a week of bumming around Dubai waiting for paperwork to clear, then heading back over here in a few weeks as an expat. If all of this works out I'm hoping for a soft retirement west of DFW in a few years :cool:

Welcome back!
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Hey! welcome back!
Doing good here. My daughter got married this past weekend, it was a small family wedding, and beautiful!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

longtooth wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:43 am Catch us up on all your blessings.
Gladly. :biggrinjester: Wife finished her schooling and got a job, and most importantly....I got a promotion to "Dad" in 2018.

Still in Temple. City has grown like crazy since I moved here back in 2010.

Still shoot USPSA/IDPA/Steel as often as I can, but my range time has slowed down a bit with the kiddo in the house.

Lost a dog, added two new rescue dogs to the house (right before we found out the wife was pregnant...thankfully everyone handled the transition okay).

Glad to be back.
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

WildBill wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:15 pm Welcome back to the forum. I am doing okay. Had some health issues, but they are under control.
In addition to the CHL topics I have missed your cooking and your music posts. I am not nearly as active
posting as I used to be. I guess, I don't have as much new to say. ;)
Good to see you still posting, WildBill.

Sorry about your health problems.

I did a dinner pic on another forum recently, let me drag up the pictures for ya. :mrgreen:
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Here’s a copy of a post I did for a “dinner pic” Arfcom style. Only I made breakfast tacos, so mine is a breakfast pic. Hope you enjoy, Bill.

Step 1: dice up a yukon gold potato. Boil in water with vinegar/salt for 5 minutes. Just enough to get the insides a little fluffy.

step 2: (also step 0): get out the bacon. I coated this center cut bacon in flour last night and put it in the fridge. I know it sounds crazy, but the flour keeps the bacon from folding up and cooking unevenly on a hot pan.

step 3: lightly beat two eggs, set everything up by your skillet. Instead of a skillet, I'm using a homemade discada, made from a disc off an old plow I used to spend hours dragging through the family farm as a kid. I like to add a little cumin and hot smoked paprika to the potatoes for a little extra flavor. Protection while grilling provided by my VZ 61 Skorpion SBR.

The discada:

Start with the bacon so we can use the bacon grease for everything else:

Crisp up the potatoes in the bacon grease:

I’m lazy and just roughly cut up the bacon with scissors while the potatoes are crisping without having to go back inside, then throw them back on.

Then dump in the eggs

Take off eggs/bacon/potato mix, throw on the tortillas. I really like the half corn/half flour ones HEB makes that offends purists of both sensibilities.

The Arf dinner pic tradition is a meal, along with a rifle, pistol and a reload for each.

When I did this one I decided to go with my JM stamped Marlin 1894c in .357 magnum, and a S&W Model 66-8 (their new 2.75” K frame in .347 with a full length ejector), along with a Blackjack Model 5 knife. And Dr Pepper to drink, of course.

TANSTAAFL

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Those plow disc cookers make the best camping/lake skillet. If you can find one, the old cast iron kettle holders are the perfect paring. It holds the disc and regulates how much wood you can put underneath the skillet.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

74novaman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:59 pm
Gladly. :biggrinjester: Wife finished her schooling and got a job, and most importantly....I got a promotion to "Dad" in 2018.

Still shoot USPSA/IDPA/Steel as often as I can, but my range time has slowed down a bit with the kiddo in the house.

Lost a dog, added two new rescue dogs to the house (right before we found out the wife was pregnant...thankfully everyone handled the transition okay).

Glad to be back.
In ‘92 when I moved to Waco from Detroit (yeah that Detroit), centrally texas was a nice quiet little place. Still go there to visit the parents and wife participates in the Baylor yearly. Drove down to Pflugerville from Waco around Christmas. That entire Belton/Temple area is expanding. I remember when I-35 was two lanes headin’ south from the Hwy 6 overpass. I even sat in a traffic jam in Waco, not due to construction, just congestion.
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

74novaman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:18 pm Here’s a copy of a post I did for a “dinner pic” Arfcom style. Only I made breakfast tacos, so mine is a breakfast pic. Hope you enjoy, Bill.
Thank you. I really enjoyed your post. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

74novaman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Glad to be back.
Lots of meat in that post, but most of all- Congrats on being Dad!!
Also love my plow disc cooker, it's great. You're sure right about Temple's growth. (I'm just down the road a few miles)

Hey, where do you shooting idpa and uspsa around here?

Good to have you back. :tiphat:

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

flechero wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:47 pm
Hey, where do you shooting idpa and uspsa around here?

Good to have you back. :tiphat:
We are spoiled here in central Texas.

These days I’m usually only attending the Temple Gun Club matches (idpa and uspsa once a month, Steel challenge Thursday nights in the summer).

Copperas cove also has idpa and Steel matches, Austin has uspsa/idpa, college station has uspsa/idpa/steel.

If you have the time, you could shoot a match every weekend around here, sometimes one on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Check out central Texas practical shooters on Facebook, they keep a running list of what matches are being held where and when.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “Off-Topic”