Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

RDS v. Iron Sights: Not just for old blind guys

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is an excellent read, including the full report linked in the article. As I've posted before, I'm absolutely sold on red dot sights on handguns. I have two 1911's and one CZ P-10C with Deltapoint Pro 7.5 MOA triangle RDS and I'll have more. I wish CZ would make some of their various 75s (like the Compact PCR) either optics ready, or with a wide rear slide so one could be milled.

I learned that SIG is shipping the P320 optics-ready versions that is pre-drilled for their own Romeo 1 RDS as well as the DPP. This means the sight sits lower in the slide and you don't have to buy a mounting plate.

No reason for you young guys with good eyes to wait until your hair turns gray, or turns loose, to enjoy the distinct advantages of a RDS.

Chas.

https://lockedback.com/results-4-year-h ... -dynamics/

carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Re: RDS v. Iron Sights: Not just for old blind guys

Post by carlson1 »

Thank you Mr. Cotton. I switched to a RMR several months ago. Mary and I just took a shooting class I used my RMR for the first time. It has taken a lot of dry practice and about 500 rounds at the range. One shot at a time, but I love mine.

One of the things I like is now I can actually shoot with both eyes open.

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Tex1961 »

I’m just shy of 60. Old to many of you and young to many others. Over the last year I went down the RMR path but have returned to regular iron sights. My issue isn’t my eyesight but hands that aren’t as strong or steady as they used to be. Seeing the red dot on the target jinking around makes me look like I have Parkinson’s, and throws off my concentration. The iron sights while now harder to see due to my older eyes keep my sight picture more stable on the target. A conundrum for sure, but that’s my personal issue with RMR’s. Truly frustrating as I really do like them.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 74novaman »

I’m a fan.

The simultaneously most hurtful/true thing I’ve heard about shooting red dot equipped pistols is “There are no more hard shots, just bad trigger presses”.
TANSTAAFL

E10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E10 »

I've become interested in red dots since I viewed a video on the subject by Colion Noir. Lately I've found that I cannot bring any front sight into focus (arms aren't long enough). My problem is that my taste in guns discourages installation of red dots. Only one of my handguns, a Colt Commander, is readily converted. Everything else requires extensive modification. As I've gotten older I lean toward heavier handguns to reduce the effect of recoil, and the additional weight of a larger sight is also a concern.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by carlson1 »

A lot of Police Agencies are also making red dots available. I know one agency in East Texas that they have all changed over to the RMR on their Glock 17 provided by the department.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 pm This is an excellent read, including the full report linked in the article. As I've posted before, I'm absolutely sold on red dot sights on handguns. I have two 1911's and one CZ P-10C with Deltapoint Pro 7.5 MOA triangle RDS and I'll have more. I wish CZ would make some of their various 75s (like the Compact PCR) either optics ready, or with a wide rear slide so one could be milled.

I learned that SIG is shipping the P320 optics-ready versions that is pre-drilled for their own Romeo 1 RDS as well as the DPP. This means the sight sits lower in the slide and you don't have to buy a mounting plate.

No reason for you young guys with good eyes to wait until your hair turns gray, or turns loose, to enjoy the distinct advantages of a RDS.

Chas.

Cajun Gun Works does optics milling on CZ slides.

bobby

Post by bobby »

As Im reading this on my desk is a Canik TP9 Elite SC with a RomeoZero on it. so yeah Im working on this...
:txflag:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The simultaneously most hurtful/true thing I’ve heard about shooting red dot equipped pistols is “There are no more hard shots, just bad trigger presses”.
OUCH!

I'm looking at getting a XD 9 Service Model soon. Upgrading to RDS is high on the want list.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

maverick2076 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 pm This is an excellent read, including the full report linked in the article. As I've posted before, I'm absolutely sold on red dot sights on handguns. I have two 1911's and one CZ P-10C with Deltapoint Pro 7.5 MOA triangle RDS and I'll have more. I wish CZ would make some of their various 75s (like the Compact PCR) either optics ready, or with a wide rear slide so one could be milled.

Chas.

Cajun Gun Works does optics milling on CZ slides.
CGW did the mill work on my P-10C. This was done well before the optics-ready version was available.

Chas.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Great Thread!

I've got plenty of optics on my rifles these days which are infinitely better than iron sights for those of us over 40.

While I haven't made the move to RDS for my pistols yet, I absolutely agree on the benefits. In a real fight they are a huge asset.

Kelly McCann was perhaps the first to start mounting RMR sights on his combat pistol, due to his aging eyes.

Gabe Suarez has been using RDS for pistols for a while and found that RMR is very rugged. The only other RDS Suarez recommends is Holosun. Many of the other pistol RDS are not rugged enough for self defense use. article

ETA looks like he added The Leupold DeltaPoint Pro and The Shield RMS to the list
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Some additional discussion about which RDS is best for your carry gun: Not Everyone Can Afford a Trijicon RMR
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott B. »

The last 6 to 8 months, all the 320s I've sold to officers have been optic ready. The last week or so just about all I've done is mount the optics and tall sights on some of those same guns.

It's a pretty interesting evolution. HPD's current class went to 100% red dot at the academy.

For me, it's been a work in progress to transition to the red dot. Probably going to take another thousand rounds before I start to feel comfortable with it. One benefit for me is that it's much easier to shoot with both eyes open using the red dot. I have a little astigmatism so i don't see a crisp 3 MOA dot, more like a 5 MOA blur, but it works ;-)

Here's the the 320 with Romeo1Pro red dot and Xray3 tall sights, the LE gun configuration:
320 PRO RX
320 PRO RX
You can buy almost the same gun as the Sig 320X RXP. On the LE side, we call it the PRO.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Killadocg23

Post by Killadocg23 »

I am a young chap 27 and have the holosun on my g19, shop here in Houston milled it for me and at a very cost efficient price. I do not have TALL sights on mine but man the thing is SWEET! Definitely takes getting use to but once you are able to acquire the dot it’s good. I prefer the holosun over rmr due to different reticle options.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

troglodyte wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am
OUCH!

I'm looking at getting a XD 9 Service Model soon. Upgrading to RDS is high on the want list.
Xdm 4.5 osp will get you a slightly longer barrel few more rounds and a slide pre milled for an optic. You can also get one with an extended threaded barrel on top of all that
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”