The Karakoram Highway

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

The Karakoram Highway

Post by howdy »

In keeping with our continuing education: I suggest you turn the sound off.

The attributes of this unbelievable roadway, the Karakoram Highway, extending from Pakistan to China, It is fast becoming recognized as the 8 th man-made wonder of the world. Known informally as the KKH, it is the highest paved international road in the world. I would not like to have to drive this road in the daytime, let alone at night. Yikes!!!
At its peak, near the China/Pakistan border, it is considered to be one of the world's hardest alpine climbs. The Karakorum Highway connects China and Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range via the Khunjerab Pass. Its maximum elevation is 4,693 meters (15,397 feet) above sea level.
810 Pakistani and 82 Chinese workers lost their lives in landslides and falls while building the highway.
The route of the KKH traces one of the many paths of the ancient Silk Road, and has a total length of approximately 1,300 Km. (800 miles). 887 Km. (551 miles) in Pakistan and 413 Km. (257 miles) in China. It was started in 1959, and completed 27 years later in 1986.

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The Karakoram Highway

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

That highway would be a fun challenge on a motor cycle! It took me 2 seconds to understand why you recommend turning the sound off. Hahaha

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 pm... It took me 2 seconds to understand why you recommend turning the sound off. ...
I think she's the one who broke up the Beatles too.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Aww, she's not that bad. Catchy little tune.

That would be a great motorcycle ride. A little slow in a lot of spots, but gotta be awesome scenery!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Wow.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

NO, nada, nyet, nein.

NOPE
NOPE
NOPE

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 pm That highway would be a fun challenge on a motor cycle! It took me 2 seconds to understand why you recommend turning the sound off. Hahaha
I wonder if they have gas stations and rest stops along the way.
NRA Endowment Member

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

WildBill wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:36 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 pm That highway would be a fun challenge on a motor cycle! It took me 2 seconds to understand why you recommend turning the sound off. Hahaha
I wonder if they have gas stations and rest stops along the way.
No gas station is needed, when you are riding a bicycle in China.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My mother took that road from China to Islamabad Pakistan back in the 1990s. She is a very nervous passenger under the best circumstances, and she said it was absolutely terrifying. Back then, it wasn’t paved all the way.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am My mother took that road from China to Islamabad Pakistan back in the 1990s. She is a very nervous passenger under the best circumstances, and she said it was absolutely terrifying. Back then, it wasn’t paved all the way.
I dunno. This road looks pretty scary. It may have been the one on that truck driver show? #1 Yungas Highway Or The Death Road In Bolivia – Most Dangerous Roads In South America.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:58 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am My mother took that road from China to Islamabad Pakistan back in the 1990s. She is a very nervous passenger under the best circumstances, and she said it was absolutely terrifying. Back then, it wasn’t paved all the way.
I dunno. This road looks pretty scary. It may have been the one on that truck driver show? #1 Yungas Highway Or The Death Road In Bolivia – Most Dangerous Roads In South America.

Yeah, I’ve heard of that road before. My mom's trip was from China to Pakistan over the Karakoram pass. I have two Persian rugs she picked up in an open air maker in Islamabad on that trip. She had traveled around China some before the caravan she was with went over that pass. They entered China via Beijing, spent time in Mongolia, in the Gobi desert, and then went over the mountains. At that time, the Karakoram Pass road wasn’t paved all the way. She has pictures of it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”