Dollar Store solution for humidity control in safe

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Frankie
Posts in topic: 2

Dollar Store solution for humidity control in safe

Post by Frankie »

Found these at my local Dollar Store and been keeping one in my safe for about 6months.

Picked up a few more today since the first one has over a 1” of water in it already.

Replace with one on top shelf and one on the bottom.

Next I need to put a hygrometer in there and see if one is sufficient or if two is better.

cirus
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dollar Store solution for humidity control in safe

Post by cirus »

I've got 2 gun safes and one is in my shop. I keep a Golden Rod in the shop safe and have had no problems with moisture. I've got several ammo cans with silica gel packs and no problem there either.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Are they truly a dollar?

Regardless that's a great and cheap alternative to many of the more expensive solutions. Both my safes are indoors and both have golden rods, but this would be great for anyone that has a safe in a garage or otherwise in a non-climate controlled space.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

If a person can afford guns and a gun safe, it seems like springing for 40 bucks to get a golden rod and achieving proper protection would not be a huge issue. Get proper protection. There is no good to be accomplished by cheaping out on this basic necessity. JMHO

Topic author
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

SigM4 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:15 am Are they truly a dollar?
Yes, $1 Ea plus tax. They are 8.1oz.
My safe is inside my master bedroom closet but it’s off the master bath so showers bring up the humidity.
My Safe isn’t one with power outlets, not that I have outlets in my closet, so the Golden Rod wasn’t really a option for me. I figure these are a good alternative for humidity control and very low cost IMO so I wanted to share for anyone else who might be in a similar situation.

flechero

Thanks a lot!

Post by flechero »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36 am springing for 40 bucks to get a golden rod
I just read that and thought it was a typo... because golden rods are only $19.99. Then I checked (just to be sure) and you're right, $40 :shock: you have successfully turned me into my Dad! :lol:

03Lightningrocks

Re: Thanks a lot!

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

flechero wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:51 am
03Lightningrocks wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36 am springing for 40 bucks to get a golden rod
I just read that and thought it was a typo... because golden rods are only $19.99. Then I checked (just to be sure) and you're right, $40 :shock: you have successfully turned me into my Dad! :lol:
When I bought mine I think it was 20 dollars.That was maybe 15 years ago and it still works great.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”