Anyone personally know of an open range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone personally know of an open range?

Post by howdy »

American Shooting Center in west Houston is open https://www.americanshootingcenters.com/ Also Boyert Indoor range in Katy is open.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

Colion Noir recently revealed on Youtube that he shoots at Texas Defensive Shooting Academy outside of Ferris. Because of the video, I assume the range is open.

Charlie

Lena

Post by Lena »

From the amount of vehicles there B-Tactile exit 87 I30 east by me seems open I am by there very often, my private club is open but all matches are suspended, will be there tomorrow I hope. Thinking mud will be dried up by now hopefully. My friend has 2 new range toys to sight in. Other than my 8" 9mm AR a loss on what to take, the AR goes every trip. Thinking on changing the trip to today as to breeze here. My want to kicked in bad. Good rural isolated place to be also and close by.

Heck with tomorrow leaving shortly for range may fish tomorrow
Stay Safe

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The other day strogg and I shot at Texas Gun Experience on Main St., Grapevine.

Nice range but you get 60 minutes. At other ranges you can stay as long as you wish.

For ammo seekers: they had a pallet of 9MM, 124 grain, FMJ, made in Hungary.
They also had a pallet of .45 ACP, 230 grain, FMJ, American made, $19.95 per 50 rounds.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Terryr21

Post by Terryr21 »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:16 am The other day strogg and I shot at Texas Gun Experience on Main St., Grapevine.

Nice range but you get 60 minutes. At other ranges you can stay as long as you wish.

For ammo seekers: they had a pallet of 9MM, 124 grain, FMJ, made in Hungary.
They also had a pallet of .45 ACP, 230 grain, FMJ, American made, $19.95 per 50 rounds.

SIA

That’s a ditto on SIA’s thoughts about TGE. The hour goes quick but yes very nice range. Crossfire Defense Academy in Flower Mound was an awesome range (had preprogrammed dynamic targets), sadly they closed down last year.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Shoot Point Blank range is open from 10am to noon, for members only, and for classes.
We are temporarily adjusting our retail hours to 12pm - 6pm daily until further notice. Our range operations are currently closed, except to members (10am-12pm) daily and for class qualification purposes. The adjusted hours will provide additional time for associates to restock shelves and perform cleaning.
https://shootpointblank.com/response-to-covid-19
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I was out at Quail Creek off I-35W & FM1171 with a friend last Friday. Seemed business as usual and the range-master was pretty cool. No hassles at all. I don't think I'd been there in at least 10 years. A lot bigger than I remembered and there's even bathrooms now.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

C-dub wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:23 pm I was out at Quail Creek off I-35W & FM1171 with a friend last Friday. Seemed business as usual and the range-master was pretty cool. No hassles at all. I don't think I'd been there in at least 10 years. A lot bigger than I remembered and there's even bathrooms now.
There is a blast from my past. I use to go out there weekly some 25 odd years ago.

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SA-TX »

TxRVer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:50 am Colion Noir recently revealed on Youtube that he shoots at Texas Defensive Shooting Academy outside of Ferris. Because of the video, I assume the range is open.

I watch his stuff sometimes. Great to know since Ferris isn't far from me. :tiphat:

SA-TX

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

SA-TX wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 pm
TxRVer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:50 am Colion Noir recently revealed on Youtube that he shoots at Texas Defensive Shooting Academy outside of Ferris. Because of the video, I assume the range is open.

I watch his stuff sometimes. Great to know since Ferris isn't far from me. :tiphat:

SA-TX
Just don’t go after it rains. That place is a mud hole during the spring.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

equin

Post by equin »

SA-TX wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 pm

SA-TX
Yeah, I immediately recognized the range since I used to be a member several years ago. It’s a decent range. Only reason I’m no longer a member is because I now belong to another, less expensive place. I thought it was smart to include recycled tires as part of the backdrop.
Ed

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

jmorris wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:48 pm
cheezit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm
SA-TX wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 am
cheezit wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm My backyard is open. Country life is great.
I bet it is. My little 2 acres definitely isn't enough but it is a decent compromise, all things considered.

SA-TX
We have 20 so plenty of shotgun room. Behind us is better then 500 acres.
We have plenty of coon and other small varmint hunting
I'm looking at 12 acres right now. It's narrow and very long. I expect neighbors (like me) will be putting houses near the front so I put the hand gun range near the back, and I could do some rifle shooting.
You can't shoot rifles on 12 acres. I believe it has to be 50+ for rifles. I could be misremembering, or this may only apply if you ar in an etj... Please do a search here, it had been covered in detail.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmorris »

uthornsfan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:27 pm
jmorris wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:48 pm
cheezit wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:24 pm
SA-TX wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 am
cheezit wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:45 pm My backyard is open. Country life is great.
I bet it is. My little 2 acres definitely isn't enough but it is a decent compromise, all things considered.

SA-TX
We have 20 so plenty of shotgun room. Behind us is better then 500 acres.
We have plenty of coon and other small varmint hunting
I'm looking at 12 acres right now. It's narrow and very long. I expect neighbors (like me) will be putting houses near the front so I put the hand gun range near the back, and I could do some rifle shooting.
You can't shoot rifles on 12 acres. I believe it has to be 50+ for rifles. I could be misremembering, or this may only apply if you ar in an etj... Please do a search here, it had been covered in detail.
No, within city limits you need 10 acres for shotgun and bow, 100 acres for hand gun and long rifle. Outside of city limits if it's in a subdivision[1] and lots are less than 10 acres then county commissioners can regulate. Otherwise the only restriction is the round cannot leave your property.

[1]Subdivision defined as a division of a property so that infrastructure is required. This land was divided so that at all lots faced on an existing road. That's why each is long and narrow.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Not sure what you are quoting but I think that is pretty wrong.

Sec. 229.002.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... LG.229.htm

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike S »

JMorris may be citing the city ordinance local to him.

The acreage is based on the population size, so it varies from 10 acres up to 100 acres.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”