KT: Louisville woman killed by police after serving a no knock warrant. CHL boyfriend fired at plainclothed officers

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 23

KT: Louisville woman killed by police after serving a no knock warrant. CHL boyfriend fired at plainclothed officers

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/black-woman-shot ... 00674.html

Thought they were being robbed. Called 911.

Represented by same attorney as family for Ahmaud in GA.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Re: KT: Louisville woman killed by police after serving a no knock warrant. CHL boyfriend fired at plainclothed officers

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Kentucky is KY. If the officers announced their presence, I am not sure how the home owner can claim they did not know it was the cops. This one should get interesting. I wonder if the cops had their body cams running. I do worry about the "no knock" warrants for this very reason.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: KT: Louisville woman killed by police after serving a no knock warrant. CHL boyfriend fired at plainclothed officers

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 pm Kentucky is KY. If the officers announced their presence, I am not sure how the home owner can claim they did not know it was the cops. This one should get interesting. I wonder if the cops had their body cams running. I do worry about the "no knock" warrants for this very reason.
The officer's knocking and announcing their presence is a fact in dispute. With the known fact that the officers had a warrant for a bogus address and an apparent bogus sighting of a car... this sounds like an incident similar to what happened in Houston. An officer lied and/or manufactured evidence to get the warrant... and allegedly did a poor job executing the warrant. In any event it was a bad raid with an unnecessary death.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grayling813 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 pm Kentucky is KY. If the officers announced their presence, I am not sure how the home owner can claim they did not know it was the cops. This one should get interesting. I wonder if the cops had their body cams running. I do worry about the "no knock" warrants for this very reason.
There are documented incidents of criminals breaking into homes yelling "police!" Guess we need a law against impersonating police officers so criminals won't use that tactic when crashing into your home.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 108607001/
According to the lawsuit, LMPD executed at least two search warrants — including one at Taylor's home — in the early morning of March 13 in an attempt to locate a suspect named Jamarcus Glover.

But police had already located Glover at his home and detained him before executing the warrant at Taylor's residence, the suit says.

Glover's home is more than 10 miles from Taylor's home on Springfield Drive, records show. He faces drug and gun charges.
and conveniently...
No body camera footage is available because officers in the Criminal Interdiction Division who conducted the search warrant do not wear cameras, LMPD Chief Steve Conrad previously said.
Last edited by Grayling813 on Wed May 13, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

NO MORE NO KNOCK WARRANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

jason812 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:30 pm NO MORE NO KNOCK WARRANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From what I read the police claim they did knock and announce their presence. I thought a "no knock" warrant was when they just kick in the door and rush inside the home without announcing they are there..

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

PriestTheRunner wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:18 pm I have personal experience that cops DO NOT in fact announce themselves, and unless the people start demanding bodycam evidence I doubt that will change anytime soom.
Bodycams should absolutely be required for these warrants.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

jason812

Post by jason812 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm
jason812 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:30 pm NO MORE NO KNOCK WARRANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From what I read the police claim they did knock and announce their presence. I thought a "no knock" warrant was when they just kick in the door and rush inside the home without announcing they are there..
Records show that the police investigation was centered around a "trap house" more than 10 miles from Taylor's apartment, and that a judge had approved a "no-knock" search warrant, meaning officers did not have to identify themselves, according to The Courier-Journal.
They had a no knock warrant but knocked anyway? Plus the guy they were looking for was already in custody. Something doesn't sound right to me. Whether they knocked or not, there should be no more no knock warrants.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

03Lightningrocks

jason812 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:20 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:39 pm
Records show that the police investigation was centered around a "trap house" more than 10 miles from Taylor's apartment, and that a judge had approved a "no-knock" search warrant, meaning officers did not have to identify themselves, according to The Courier-Journal.
They had a no knock warrant but knocked anyway? Plus the guy they were looking for was already in custody. Something doesn't sound right to me. Whether they knocked or not, there should be no more no knock warrants.
Yeah, I did not catch that. I just read something in that article about the police claiming they knocked and heard them inside house. Sure enough, a no knock warrant at work again. I am with you. They should not be allowed to do this.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Paladin wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:13 pm
The officer's knocking and announcing their presence is a fact in dispute. With the known fact that the officers had a warrant for a bogus address and an apparent bogus sighting of a car... this sounds like an incident similar to what happened in Houston. An officer lied and/or manufactured evidence to get the warrant... and allegedly did a poor job executing the warrant. In any event it was a bad raid with an unnecessary death.
If the raid took place at 1:30AM, it is quite likely that the residents didn't hear anything the officers may have said while entering. (I don't believe they announced anything, but I may be wrong.) I don't believe for one second that they knocked on the door several times before breaking in. They wouldn't have gotten a "no knock" warrant had they intended to do so.

Chas.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If this was at 0130 and they were asleep it really doesn't matter whether the officers identified themselves or not. There's no way the sleeping victims would have heard and understood what was going on.

When I was in the Navy there were a few cases of people being awoken and came up swinging. None of them were not held responsible for their actions having been startled awake.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

What is the address validation etc. process like “normally”?
What kind of preparatory work is done prior to storming into someone’s home, and is this process well documented and normalized for all agencies? Do pizza delivery companies have better verification practices?

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

parabelum wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm What is the address validation etc. process like “normally”?
What kind of preparatory work is done prior to storming into someone’s home, and is this process well documented and normalized for all agencies? Do pizza delivery companies have better verification practices?
My experience on our Tactical Team involved weeks of observation, verified drug purchases by under cover officers, in my 8yrs as the team medic we rarely did the 3 a.m.raids, most took place around 11:30 to midnight!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/minute-minute-ha ... 43786.html

Minute by minute account of what happened.

Woman was identified as the target of the warrant. May or may not have received packages at her address for the known drug dealer ten miles away. Works as an EMT, clean record for both.

Later she was identified as the one who wounded the officer and was killed. She was unarmed.

Later her boyfriend was charged with attempted murder of a police officer. He has a CHL.

They knocked with a no knock warrant. Other witnesses did not hear a knock.

Bullets were fired blindly through curtained windows from the outside. Bullets went into other apartments. Their report says they used deadly force to protect themselves and others from harm.

No body cams. In plain clothes.

Reminds me a lot of Houston except the races are presumably reversed.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://news.yahoo.com/no-knock-searche ... 00844.html

USA Today article critical of no knock raids.

Good article. Not often I say that recently about USA Today.

Return to “The Crime Blotter”