Sam Houston Statue

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
von Clausewitz
Posts in topic: 2

Sam Houston Statue

Post by von Clausewitz »

I just saw a Facebook post (I know...I know) that some bad guys are going to attack the Sam Houston Statue on I-45 this Saturday...

Is there anybody else that has confirmation on this news?

If this is bull, please remove the post...

If it’s true... :banghead:

iratollah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sam Houston Statue

Post by iratollah »

Sam Houston didn't want Texas to secede. But then we're living among virtue signalling vandals who destroyed a Frederick Douglass statue.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

If so, it's yet another example of stupidity, not "virtue signalling." Houston's father owned slaves and served as a colonel in the Virginia militia. The younger Sam, though, didn't get along with his father at all (and never owned a slave, to my knowledge). The family moved to Tennessee when Sam was a teenager, and a short while later he ran away from home and, for almost 3 years, he lived with a Cherokee tribe in the eastern part of Tennessee. He learned to speak fluent Cherokee and was given the name "Black Raven."

In 1829, amidst pressure from several sides, including political, he resigned as Governor of Tennessee, divorced his 1st wife (they were married for only 11 weeks; supposedly she was in love with a different man), and joined his Cherokee tribe in the Arkansas Territory, where they'd been relocated following the Indian and Creek War (War of 1812). The tribe formally adopted him as a member, and he took a Cherokee bride, Tiana Rogers, in a tribal ceremony. Tiana was a widow with two children when they married in 1830. Tiana chose not to accompany Sam to Texas in 1832, and she later remarried; died in 1838. Bit of trivia is that Will Rogers was Tiana's 3rd-great-nephew.

After Sam was elected to represent Texas in the U.S. Senate in 1846, he also served as the Cherokee's spokesman and advocate with the federal government and worked for Native American rights. In fact, he was known to sometimes wear traditional Cherokee dress to government meetings in D.C. He was elected Governor of Texas in 1859, and while in office he argued against secession and wanted to keep Texas out of the CSA. Mostly because of that, he was forced out of office in 1861. Sam died in 1863, so he never saw the end of the war.

How do we get the idiots--idiots who want to tear down and bury every bit of our history--to actually learn even the tiniest bit about that history?
Last edited by Rafe on Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

30 tons of concrete and 70 foot tall, y'all ain't knocking this one over. :txflag:
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rafe wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:22 pm If so, it's yet another example of stupidity, not "virtue signalling." Houston's father owned slaves and served as a colonel in the Virginia militia. The younger Sam, though, didn't get along with his father at all (and never owned a slave, to my knowledge). The family moved to Tennessee when Sam was a teenager, and a short while later he ran away from home and, for almost 3 years, he lived with a Cherokee tribe in the eastern part of Tennessee. He learned to speak fluent Cherokee and was given the name "Black Raven."

In 1829, amidst pressure from several sides, including political, he resigned as Governor of Tennessee, divorced his 1st wife (they were married for only 11 weeks; supposedly she was in love with a different man), and joined his Cherokee tribe in the Arkansas Territory, where they'd been relocated following the Indian and Creek War (War of 1812). The tribe formally adopted him as a member, and he took a Cherokee bride, Tiana Rogers, in a tribal ceremony. Tiana was a widow with two children when they married in 1830. Tiana chose not accompany Sam to Texas in 1832, and she later remarried; died in 1838. Bit of trivia is that Will Rogers was Tiana's 3rd-great-nephew.

After Sam was elected to represent Texas in the U.S. Senate in 1846, he also served as the Cherokee's spokesman and advocate with the federal government and worked for Native American rights. In fact, he was known to sometimes wear traditional Cherokee dress to government meetings in D.C. He was elected Governor of Texas in 1859, and while in office he argued against secession and wanted to keep Texas out of the CSA. Mostly because of that, he was forced out of office in 1861. Sam died in 1863, so ne never saw the end of the war.

How do we get the idiots--idiots who want to tear down and bury every bit of our history--to actually learn even the tiniest bit about that history?
Fascinating! Thanks for the background info!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cirus

Post by cirus »

AndyC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:17 pm It's not about stupidity - it's about intimidation. They WANT us to know they can attack all the things we revere and we'll just be cowed into accepting it.
Yeah right :smilelol5: Just keep pushing snowflakes. Its coming. :fire

Topic author
von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

Some great background information...thanks.

But still no confirmation that this is true...

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

SpringerFan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:38 pm 30 tons of concrete and 70 foot tall, y'all ain't knocking this one over. :txflag:
No, they can't knock it over. But they can damage and deface it, as they've done to many other statues.

dlh

Post by dlh »

This has happened before--with the Sam Houston statue in Hermann Park.
Some citizens showed up to protect the statue and Antifa and their ilk failed to show.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I guess it is prank to force the hand of some "militia" to show up there.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

AndyC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 pm I'll like to see someone demolish the Lenin statue in Seattle to enrage Antifa.
I certainly wouldn't shed any tears.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Until some us good guys stand up this is going to continue to where there is no going back.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

AndyC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:23 pm I'll like to see someone demolish the Lenin statue in Seattle to enrage Antifa.
Yeah, like, what the heck? I didn't know anything about it and had to look to Wikipedia for some background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin_(Seattle).

It was made by a Bulgarian named Emil Venkov in a 1981 commission from the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia. In 1993 a guy named Carpenter from Washington State found the 16-ft-tall hollow bronze statue in a scrapyard with a homeless guy living inside it. He bought it and shipped it back to Seattle. It's been on "temporary" display in the Fremont area of the city since 1995...it's been for sale ever since, asking price a cool quarter million bucks if anybody wants the thing. The kicker is evidently that the statue is privately owned and stands on private property, and the local/state government supposedly has no authority over it being there.

So, sure. Let's watch Antifa and all their cohorts tear down or deface statues of figures important in American history, but leave the statue of the father of the Russian Communist Party and Soviet Russia untouched. Let me go check to see which country I'm in...
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “Off-Topic”