Springfield 1903 rebuild

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 2

Springfield 1903 rebuild

Post by uthornsfan »

So I am continuing my quest of collecting WWI & WWII firearms and found a poorly sporterized 1903.

The good
* original 1918 receiver SN 808*** so about as early a receiver that I'd feel comfortable shooting.
* original 1-18 SA barrel with good rifling, not counter bored, and no throat erosion.
* paid $360 for rifle, 1 box of cmp ammo, and a soft case

The bad
* the stock was butchered, I mean BAD
* the finish is pretty rough on the barrel 1% bluing, the receiver is pretty good
* the rear sight collar had been destroyed
* receiver drilled for Redfield sight

I plan on refinishing the rifle and have already ordered a complete stock with original recoil pad. I am looking for a gunsmith who can remove the rear sight base collar, I could probably get it done in my shop but I'd rather not butcher it, although destroying the sight base isn't an issue since it's toast already.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Springfield 1903 rebuild

Post by Oldgringo »

The absolute WORST gun mistake I ever made was with a 1903 Springfield. I got an unissued 1903 A4 from the DCM back in the early '60's for <$20. It was a Remington that may not have ever been fired, had a turned down bolt handle and a Redfield scope base and no open sights. It was a sniper model. In my early 20's stupidity, I traded it even for a WWII '98 Mauser.

Too soon we grow old, too late we grow smart.

Topic author
uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Springfield 1903 rebuild

Post by uthornsfan »

Man that hurts a bit.

I kind of took a gamble on this. I couldn't fully see the serial but thought it was 808xxx, luckily I was right. Didn't have a ton of pics but it didn't look awful.

The biggest thing I missed was the utter destruction the original rear sight collar went through. They removed the leaf sight, then ground down the collar flush.

Not sure if I am going to remove the Redfield peep sight and plug weld the holes in receiver or keep the sight as I kinda like it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”