BYRNA non lethal handgun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

BYRNA non lethal handgun

Post by howdy »

Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this?

https://byrna.com/
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: BYRNA non lethal handgun

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It's definitely interesting, and might be a decent tool to add to the arsenal, along with an actual handgun. It might also be a "better than nothing" option if you need to venture into a no gun zone for some reason.

I definitely like the range (60 feet), and think this gives it an advantage over standard Pepper Spray and similar options.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

The Wife instructed me to order one after she saw mentioned on Hannity a several months ago. I got an e-mail from the CEO a day or two later thanking me for the order - but ..... they had just received over 13,000 new orders and that I would not be receiving the unit until late August. They did deliver as promised and I promptly did some testing. At 7 yards the "glorified paintball gun" put 5 shots in a group about the size of a 9" paper plate. At 50 feet, yes, there was still some decent velocity, but I was only able to get 4 out of 5 rounds on the paper using a full size B-27 target.

The instructions say to store or carry the gun only with a new (unpunctured) cylinder. The first trigger pull punctures the cylinder and fires the top 68 caliber ball. That first trigger pull is more difficult than on any double action pistol I have ever fired. The next 4 were not too bad.

Several members inquired as to my thoughts on suggesting one for them or family members. In all honesty, I had to say, that a 4-ounce unit of good (stream) pepper spray might very well do the job in many instances - with a lot less bulk and for a LOT less money.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If I was to get this, I would definitely not get one in black. It looks too much like a handgun. I think the yellow one would be a better choice. I never want my non-lethal options to look like an actual gun.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

My thing is, I would imagine that this thing has some bulk to it and that may lend itself to situations where one would choose to carry this and not the actual handgun, or other way around in which case the purpose of this piece is moot.
I’d rather just stick with my current system and carry spray as needed. My $.02

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Pulling this out on someone immediately gives them a trigger respond to a deadly force threat.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I ordered ours in yellow. And yes, it is somewhat bulky. Advertised as "about the same size as a Glock 19", but is actually a little larger - especially in width. A retired cop looked at it and also preferred the color yellow. Said it would definitely get the attention of any of the creatures who had ever been successfully lit up with a taser.

The "kit" has several nice features. I just wish the thing had some rifling to better stabilize the balls. At any distance to speak of, their trajectory gets pretty wonky.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

jerry_r60 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm Pulling this out on someone immediately gives them a trigger respond to a deadly force threat.
Yep. That’ll be my thought. There’s a confrontation of sorts. I pull my Byrna thingy and other person pulls out his/her M&P shield thingy (roughly same cost - pre madness). Now they have right to use deadly force and I have a right to plink them with few OC balls and hopefully be effective. Don’t think I can switch back to my carry gun that fast, if I was carrying it at the same time.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

parabelum wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm
jerry_r60 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:15 pm Pulling this out on someone immediately gives them a trigger respond to a deadly force threat.
Yep. That’ll be my thought. There’s a confrontation of sorts. I pull my Byrna thingy and other person pulls out his/her M&P shield thingy (roughly same cost - pre madness). Now they have right to use deadly force and I have a right to plink them with few OC balls and hopefully be effective. Don’t think I can switch back to my carry gun that fast, if I was carrying it at the same time.
:iagree:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

parabelum wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 pm My thing is, I would imagine that this thing has some bulk to it and that may lend itself to situations where one would choose to carry this and not the actual handgun, or other way around in which case the purpose of this piece is moot.
I’d rather just stick with my current system and carry spray as needed. My $.02
My Lay opinion is it appears to go where others cannot.

places firearms prohibited
Texas Penal Code Ch 46.03 – Places Weapons Prohibited describes and lists the places you cannot take a “firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon,”

Texas Penal Code Section 46.01(3)
defines what the law recognizes to be a firearm:
“Firearm” means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is: (A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or (B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

I do have TWO Kimber pepper blasters dor doctor visits etc ... but the byrna advertises it is significantly more powerful propulsion than a painball gun (which can leave welps/bruises) so it may have a greater range (& accuracy) than the kimber . Practicing with the Kimber runs into money, practicing with the inert or solid balls is cheaper

I'd go for yellow too ... if they were about $200 cheaper
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”