Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 4

Strong side carry results in opposite side soreness

Post by Odinvalknir »

Hello all

I have been carrying strong side for the better part of two or three years I guess, and in the last six months or so I'm noticing that if I spend a lot of my day sitting, towards the end of the day the skin over my hip bone around my waist area on the left hand side of my body is bruised and sore. most days when carrying I am standing upright and working and it's not a problem, but if I tend to sit for a long time like a long car ride by the time I'm ready to get off of work it's almost unbearable. I've tried going up the next pant size, but that causes more issues than it helps. As I'm already a fairly stout man at a 40-in waist, if I go up to 42 or 44 the pants are just too big in other areas and makes it really annoying to wear.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know it's from the gun and holster on my right side. Because if I remove the pistol and or the holster it's not an issue. so normally I will unholster and place the pistol in my truck somewhere while driving but I don't like doing this as it's somewhat awkward to have to reholster when I get out of the truck and have to look around and make sure nobody sees and all that kind of guff.

Any suggestions are welcome. Cheers

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Strong side carry results in opposite side soreness

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I used to experience similar issues when I carried IWB. Switching to OWB and using lighter weight carry guns helped alot (aluminum framed 1911 vs steel, etc). I also started using a "snap" holster that is easy to take on and off. This helps with the driving situation and also was a huge help when I had to wear formal tucked in dress shirts and could not carry in my office.

With a decent OWB holster it is easy to stay fully concealed with just an untucked T-shirt.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:56 pm I used to experience similar issues when I carried IWB. Switching to OWB and using lighter weight carry guns helped alot (aluminum framed 1911 vs steel, etc). I also started using a "snap" holster that is easy to take on and off. This helps with the driving situation and also was a huge help when I had to wear formal tucked in dress shirts and could not carry in my office.

With a decent OWB holster it is easy to stay fully concealed with just an untucked T-shirt.
Unfortunately unless I got a holster that set really high up on my waist I could not carry OWB. Technically I'm not supposed to be carrying at work to begin with, but sometimes I go into areas that are not ideal with thousands of dollars worth of tools and equipment. I'm not going to get robbed and killed so I choose to carry concealed while at work. I will have to just continue concealed carry and see what maybe I can pad my waistline on one side or figure out a better way of holstering when I get out of the vehicle.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:39 pm if I spend a lot of my day sitting, towards the end of the day the skin over my hip bone around my waist area on the left hand side of my body is bruised and sore.
The fact that you have bruising suggests that you are either leaning to relieve pressure or sitting against chair arms or something... try to pay attention to how you sitting and moving in and out of the chairs.

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Try a different holster, might help. I recently started carrying a double spare magazine holder instead of my usual one spare. I could immediately tell I had a few more ounces on my belt so our bodies are very sensitive.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

flechero wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:03 pm

The fact that you have bruising suggests that you are either leaning to relieve pressure or sitting against chair arms or something... try to pay attention to how you sitting and moving in and out of the chairs.
No, the bruising is on the opposite side of my waist from the holster. I have a large red mark and subtle bruise basically 180deg from the holster. Caused by the pants/belt pressing against my hipbone and bruising the skin.

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

Heh...this reminds me of a problem I had. I carried strong side, IWB for a couple of years. During that time, a pal of mine died from kidney cancer. When I started to experience pain on my left side, about where my kidney is, I became concerned. I consulted my family doctor, who ran a big bunch of tests, and subjected me to a CAT scan. She didn't find a problem. After going through all that, I realized that the weight of my SIG226 on my right side was causing my belt to bruise my left side....I started carrying at approx 10:00 o'clock, and the pain went away. Not the most convenient place to draw from, but at least it doesn't hurt - and I don't have kidney cancer...

kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

Just a thought but maybe the belt has something to do with it?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

flechero

Post by flechero »

Odinvalknir wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 pm
flechero wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:03 pm

No, the bruising is on the opposite side of my waist from the holster. I have a large red mark and subtle bruise basically 180deg from the holster. Caused by the pants/belt pressing against my hipbone and bruising the skin.
Yes, I got that- it sounds like your belt is too tight and its causing you to lean to compensate for the gun.

Or if you are a little overweight and not used to sitting a lot while carrying- the belt can do that easily. (ask me how I know) :tiphat:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Not knowing your body shape its hard to say. I am a little plump (okay, fat :lol: ) and had the same issues but more in my hip area and it didn't matter if I carried IWB or OWB. Bought a new gun belt and it helped some but not completely. Then I started wearing suspenders and it eliminated the pain.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Yeah that's more or less my problem. I'm a little fat and like I said if I go up a pant size then my pants are too damn big. Even if I don't wear the belt the pants still press in right there on my hip bone. The only thing I can do is unbuckle my belt and unbutton my pants while I'm sitting and driving and that will alleviate the problem. Or maybe I should just find a way to stand and drive.

flechero

Post by flechero »

You may be able to alleviate it by shifting your holster position a little.... like 1/2"-1" forward or back.

When I shifted my holster rearward an inch- so that the gun is just behind the point of the bone, it made a world of difference.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”