Why is the Texas Republican Party trying to stop drive-thru voting?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Why is the Texas Republican Party trying to stop drive-thru voting?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Flightmare wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 pm
Flightmare wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:43 pm
flechero wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:36 pm I don't know... but since 2004 when I moved here this is the first time the wait has been like that all day, days in a row. We could always go mid morning and vote in under 30 minutes in the past.

Either they reduced # of locations or this turnout is on record pace.
I know Denton and Collin counties are reporting record numbers of early voting so far.
Have you gone down to vote yet. I went to the CCCC location off of Spring Creek, East Plano. It was steady but people were just walking right up and being served. No line at all.
My plan was to go tomorrow or Saturday. While the CCCC location is close to me, there are a few others that are closer.
I was driving by it in route to a customers home. I noticed no line so I just decided to get it done. It always seems they are slowest mid morning. I am thinking Saturday may be real busy. The poll worker told me they have had maybe 2000 people since opening yesterday. I don't know if that is a lot or not.

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by der Teufel »

My spousal unit and I decided we'd drop off our ballots at the county collection site rather than lick stamps and go to the post office. Travis County on Airport Blvd in Austin was well organized. It took us about ten minutes, half of which was driving in, parking, and then driving back out. The poll workers were friendly and efficient. One came to me, one went to the passenger side to take my wife's ballot.
The only issue was that we had not sealed the envelopes for our ballots, wanting to make sure we did everything correctly. The workers were helpful, but the one who took my wife's ballot just told her to seal her outer envelope and that was all she needed to do. My wife asked "Don't I need to sign the envelope"? "No" said the worker, "your name's on the front".
Wrong! Luckily my wife knew she needed to sign the envelope and did so.
Moral: Trust but verify. Know what you need to do. Don't trust someone if their info doesn't match what you think needs to be done. I'm not saying the people collecting the ballots don't know what they're doing, but you just might get the new person who's not totally familiar with the process.
Take care, and vote!
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:07 pm I was driving by it in route to a customers home. I noticed no line so I just decided to get it done. It always seems they are slowest mid morning. I am thinking Saturday may be real busy. The poll worker told me they have had maybe 2000 people since opening yesterday. I don't know if that is a lot or not.
Unfortunately, I work a desk job and kinda stuck until the polls close...at least for this week. Next week, they're open later. I can SOMETIMES bug out a little early on Fridays if things are calm.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

strogg

Post by strogg »

I was just at the Carrollton Public Library for Denton County to do early voting. That place is nuts. They're the busiest EV site in the entire county. For the past three days, they've been averaging about 108 voters per hour of operation! So um... yeah. There's a line for sure, well before they're open, even. If you end up there, please be super nice and courteous. I feel bad for all the workers there, especially the election judge and alternate judge who both have to be there every single day. Just sayin'.

striker55
Posts in topic: 2

Post by striker55 »

Harris County had to shutdown a polling place because a worker felt sick then tested positive for covid-19. Rest of workers sent home to quarantine, new workers brought in and reopened.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 651245.php

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I got one of the benefits of living in a rural small town this morning. I left my home at 9:20 to go vote. When I got there, my name did not show up in the computer as a registered voter. They checked the paper printouts, though, and there I was. So i got to vote, but they had to tell the voting computer which precinct I lived in. Took a few extra steps more. When i was done, I drove home. Got there at 9:44. A total of 24 minutes including the drive each way (about 5 minutes per) and the extra time to verify my voter status and set the machine up. No one in line and seven of the eight machines open for me to choose from.
Steve Rothstein

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I voted yesterday, then afterwards I bought a Glock 41 (I was feeling a bit constitutional). While I was voting they had a drive up voter. I watched as they removed a voting terminal from the stand and then carried it out of the building. I voted then I went back to my vehicle which was near where the drive-up voter was parked. The drive up voter was in their vehicle while the poll worker stood near their vehicle and then I watched as the poll worker took the machine back inside. My thoughts as I observed this was if you were a poll worker who was committed to fraudulently influencing the election there were a lot of opportunities to do so with the process I observed. I know all three poll workers, so I doubt there was any fraud at the location I used but elsewhere I feel it would be too easy and too tempting for the less morally inclined.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Neighbor said polling location at HCC near Home Depot on 610 in Bellaire in Houston was empty no lines.

The better half is out of town caring for an old friend. So I sent her, the application for a ballot about a month and a half ago. She immediately sent it in. Got it about a week ago. 2 day Priority Mailed it two her, post office took 5 days to get it to her.

Wow the absentee ballot was something to see. Probably in total 11 pages of stuff. Two envelopes one green one purple. Fine print everywhere. Repeat fine print everywhere, on the envelopes, everywhere.

Probably do one thing wrong and the ballot isn't counted. Most of the fine print had to do with special circumstances, so if you were just an ordinary Joe, it made it much more complex than it actually was.

Mark the box with an "x" for the person you want. Told you, you didn't have to vote for every one and told you not to vote for both people. Information on how to write in a candidate, and who the registered write in candidates were, a bunch of people running for President.

Stick the ballot in the green envelope, seal it.

Stick the green envelope in the purple envelope and seal it. Then sign you name where it says sign your name.

Then put a stamp on it and put it in a post office box, or hand deliver to County County Clerk. (there are two County Clerk and County County Clerk)

That was it.

But it took a lot of reading to figure that was all there was to it.

Two letters from politicians thanking you for voting etc. etc. County County Clerk and Secretary of State, but you had to read them to make sure there were no gotcha's.

Big thing and all the fine print was for was someone "helping you with your ballot". They had to disclose they were helping, who they were, what the relationship was, had to print and sign their name plus provide a witness who had to print and sign their name. If person couldn't sign their name, then to put an "x", then person who was helping had to provide more information. Do we still have people who can't write their names?

So you have to take it and put it in the mailbox your self. If someone takes it to the mailbox for you, lots more paperwork. Witnesses etc.

I suppose it is all because of fraud.

But all in all, if your a regular Joe, or Josephine, its no big deal. and seems pretty secure as long as the mail doesn't take forever, or they purposely lose it.

Vote.

03Lightningrocks

Apparently early voting is setting all kinds of records. I wondered today if the high turn out has to do with so many people sitting at home all day watching the news for the latest in China Virus updates. Before they realize it, they are caught up in politics.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The wife & I voted at the Tarrant County Sub-courthouse yesterday. From the time we got in line, until we walked out to the place where we first stood in line was 22 min. No complaints at all. And sure glad it's over with. Phew. :patriot:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

Wife and I went yesterday also. I got off early (3:00 pm) so we headed to the Bi-State Justice Building where voting has been done since we moved here in 1988. Nope! Had to go across town to a new place. We pulled into the parking lot, and I was appalled. Barely found a place to park. Got inside to a good size line.
But, they moved us through pretty quickly. We were there less than 30 minutes. All in all, not a bad experience.
Any temptation to be lazy and pass was quickly dispelled as Biden was blathering away on TV as we were getting ready to leave. We leave the TV on for the dogs. I was hoping they wouldn't be liberal Democrats by the time we got back home.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Flightmare »

BigGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:45 pm Wife and I went yesterday also. I got off early (3:00 pm) so we headed to the Bi-State Justice Building where voting has been done since we moved here in 1988. Nope! Had to go across town to a new place. We pulled into the parking lot, and I was appalled. Barely found a place to park. Got inside to a good size line.
But, they moved us through pretty quickly. We were there less than 30 minutes. All in all, not a bad experience.
Any temptation to be lazy and pass was quickly dispelled as Biden was blathering away on TV as we were getting ready to leave. We leave the TV on for the dogs. I was hoping they wouldn't be liberal Democrats by the time we got back home.

Dogs sleep about 20 hours a day, has food prepared for them. Meals are provided at no cost to them. They visit the Dr. once a year for checkup, and again during the year if any medical needs arise. For this they pay nothing, and nothing is required of them. They live in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than they need, but they are not required to do any upkeep. If they make a mess, someone else cleans it up. They receive these accommodations absolutely free. They are living like royalty, and have absolutely no expenses whatsoever. All costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.

You tell me, are they liberal democrats?

(Stolen from a website)
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

03Lightningrocks

Flightmare wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:06 pm
BigGuy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:45 pm Wife and I went yesterday also. I got off early (3:00 pm) so we headed to the Bi-State Justice Building where voting has been done since we moved here in 1988. Nope! Had to go across town to a new place. We pulled into the parking lot, and I was appalled. Barely found a place to park. Got inside to a good size line.

Dogs sleep about 20 hours a day, has food prepared for them. Meals are provided at no cost to them. They visit the Dr. once a year for checkup, and again during the year if any medical needs arise. For this they pay nothing, and nothing is required of them. They live in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than they need, but they are not required to do any upkeep. If they make a mess, someone else cleans it up. They receive these accommodations absolutely free. They are living like royalty, and have absolutely no expenses whatsoever. All costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.

You tell me, are they liberal democrats?

(Stolen from a website)
My dog only watches FOX news while I am out. It isn't working though. He still just lays around doing nothing all day long. I am afraid he might just be a Democrat.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Harris County has a web site you can check how long of a wait to vote https://www.harrisvotes.com/WaitTimes

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

I live in Southern Denton County. I went in at 9am on the 14th. No line at all. No wait. When I handed them my DL they wiped it down before handing it back to me. All the pens were sterilized and they wiped down the voting stations after each use. Took me 10 minutes to vote and leave.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”