Shooting teams for a teen

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Shooting teams for a teen

Post by olafpfj »

I am the Scoutmaster for an all girls troop in Grapevine and one of my Scouts has expressed an interest in joining a "shooting team" after having a great time at summer camp earning shotgun merit badge. Not sure what she wants to shoot specifically but her dad asked if I could reach out and see what her options might be. Her parents are very supportive but not really gun people themselves. They aren't anti either it's just not their thing. Her dad is quite comfortable setting her up with whatever she needs to get going be it hardware, memberships or whatever.

She is 14 and a freshman in HS. I don't believe her school has a rifle or shotgun team. She also has some shooting experience via friends of her dad but not a lot. Either way she is very interested and so is her dad and it would be criminal if I didn't follow up on it.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

JustSomeOldGuy

Re: Shooting teams for a teen

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation
sssfonline.org
The pin map near the bottom of the page shows a number of groups in your area.
If one of them is a Steel Challenge group, that would be my personal recommendation as a starter (can be shot with .22 rimfire in relatively inexpensive rifles or pistols), IF the young lady does not already have her mind set on one of the other options.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Check if her high school has a JROTC unit. They almost always have some type of shooting team, though I think it is pellet rifles in high school.
Steve Rothstein

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

There is a clay team (skeet, trap and sporting clays) not far. I think it is a Keller team tied to the school but also takes other area HS students from schools without a team IIRC. If not there are other clay teams somewhat nearby. SSSFonline as mentioned before has them listed as does TexasYES. SASP is pistol and rifle teams. There aren't as many of those teams around here but they are starting to grow more.

Outside of a team there is also the option of just going to local matches of which there are a ton of options. That's largely what my daughter does between TripleC and Dallas Pistol Club. You can shoot 22 pistol at both and rifle options at TripleC. I wish there were more Rimfire Challenge matches in the area but it just isn't that big around here. Best way to get an idea of local match options is to look at practiscore and see what is listed and then check out the details of each clubs website for more info. People at the matches will be very welcoming usually.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

You can also check with TSRA: www.tsra.com The Junior Program Director is Charlie Wallace. His TSRA contact is juniorprograms@tsra.com
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

We have a high school that uses our club for trap, skeet and sporting clays. They are really good and win 95% of the matches that compete in. We also, have Straight Shooters which is a 4H club and I believe is another 4H group that shoots trap, and skeet. They are only 4H groups in Tarrant County and Johnson Co. One our our kids is now a local shooting instructor at a range in Grapevine and a NRA Ambassador.

As the 2020 president of our club I am not aware of any private shooting organizations for kids. However, I will ask this weekend when I make my rounds at the club.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”