Ever Heard of Feral Goats?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Ever Heard of Feral Goats?

Post by anygunanywhere »

Mrs Anygunanywhere and I were at our place in Rocksprings this week getting ready for whitetail season. Checked the game cameras and found these.

According to other hunters they are fair game. They evidently are not very edible and several told me you can smell them before you see them.

Between the hogs and these the deer aren't getting much corn.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ever Heard of Feral Goats?

Post by Boxerrider »

Mature bucks smell pretty rank. You might treat them like any other varmint.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Cabrito !!

Seriously, they're probably pretty tough. But, so are feral hogs. Yet, after I run a large feral hog through a meat grinder it's not so tough after all.

Answer to question: I've heard of feral goats, although I've never run across any.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

They sure look like they are well fed and healthy, I'm afraid they could run the deer out of the area.
N5PNZ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Wrap it in bacon and smoke it for 6-8 hours and it should be tender enough.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

4copas

Post by 4copas »

anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:03 pm Mrs Anygunanywhere and I were at our place in Rocksprings this week getting ready for whitetail season. Checked the game cameras and found these.

According to other hunters they are fair game. They evidently are not very edible and several told me you can smell them before you see them.

Looks like it’s time for some cool looking skulls in the flowerbeds.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:44 pm Wrap it in bacon and smoke it for 6-8 hours and it should be tender enough.
Nope. We go for the small piggies. I will butcher a sow in 200-225 lb range for breakfast sausage.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

4copas wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:35 pm
anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:03 pm Mrs Anygunanywhere and I were at our place in Rocksprings this week getting ready for whitetail season. Checked the game cameras and found these.

Looks like it’s time for some cool looking skulls in the flowerbeds.
Yessir! We are headed out in a few weeks and warming up for whitetail on the goats and little pigs.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

anygunanywhere wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:06 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:44 pm Wrap it in bacon and smoke it for 6-8 hours and it should be tender enough.
Nope. We go for the small piggies. I will butcher a sow in 200-225 lb range for breakfast sausage.
I thought we were talking about the goats.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

dlh

Post by dlh »

Those might be escapees from surrounding neighbors.
You might give those neighbors a call.
Ranchers run goats to make a quick buck because there is a good market in them but the downside is that goats
love to figure out ways to get through fences and "steal" the corn
from hunter feeders intended for deer. Good luck getting rid of em.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Those look really healthy. In my younger years I was an avid bowhunter (well, that's a sever understatement but, anyway) many of the "game ranches" would use different sheep/goats for "exotic Ram hunts" in the off seasons to keep hunters coming, guides and staff working, etc.

It's big business. Corsican, Mouflan, Black Hawaiian, 4 horned/Jacob, Catalina, Dall, Red, Soay, We ate a few but summer sausage was about the only decent product we ended up with, outside of some neat european mounts. Fun to bowhunt though. There was usually a processor nearby that would butcher it for needy families if you donated the meat. :thumbs2:

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

dlh wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:04 am Those might be escapees from surrounding neighbors.
You might give those neighbors a call.
Ranchers run goats to make a quick buck because there is a good market in them but the downside is that goats
love to figure out ways to get through fences and "steal" the corn
from hunter feeders intended for deer. Good luck getting rid of em.
I spread the word around to my neighbors and they are all cattlemen. the only goat man in the area is not adjopining our fenes and he has angoras and those were not angoras.

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

flechero wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:55 am Those look really healthy. In my younger years I was an avid bowhunter (well, that's a sever understatement but, anyway) many of the "game ranches" would use different sheep/goats for "exotic Ram hunts" in the off seasons to keep hunters coming, guides and staff working, etc.

It's big business. Corsican, Mouflan, Black Hawaiian, 4 horned/Jacob, Catalina, Dall, Red, Soay, We ate a few but summer sausage was about the only decent product we ended up with, outside of some neat european mounts. Fun to bowhunt though. There was usually a processor nearby that would butcher it for needy families if you donated the meat. :thumbs2:
I googled the ram/goat hunting in Texas and it is big bidness. $1200-1400 for rams. Some were huge.

Return to “Hunting Photos”