Rhode Island
Unilateral Proclamation, see note below
January 13, 2006

New York
January 13, 2006

Hawaii

Texas Establishes Concealed Handgun License Unilateral Proclamation With Other States
January 13, 2006

Rhode Island
Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses issued by the attorney general of Rhode Island to legally carry in Texas. Rhode Island license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. Concealed handgun licenses issued by local authorities ARE NOT recognized under this proclamation. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Rhode Island.

January 13, 2006

New York
Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses issued by the state of New York to legally carry in Texas. All New York license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. New York City issues a separate concealed handgun license (permit) and this permit will also be recognized under this proclamation. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in New York.

January 13, 2006

Hawaii
Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from Hawaii will be allowed to carry in Texas. All Hawaii license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Hawaii.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

mschadt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mschadt »

Something tells me those states wont be returning the favor, at least not any time soon. :cry:
tomneal wrote: Hawaii
Effective immediately, Governor Perry has issued a proclamation that allows persons with concealed handgun licenses from Hawaii will be allowed to carry in Texas. All Hawaii license holders will be required to follow Texas law while carrying in this state. This proclamation is unilateral and is not a reciprocal agreement. Texas concealed handgun license holders will not be allowed to carry in Hawaii.
According to PDO that only seems to effect one person.
PDO wrote: Although provisions are on the books, licenses are seldom granted. In fact, nobody can remember anyone, except one police department civilian worker, ever receiving one.
Some things in this world really chaff my- nevermind... :evil:
Last edited by mschadt on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

So, RI, NY, and HI. All told, that's what... about five more people who can now carry in Texas?

Kevin

Topic author
tomneal
Posts in topic: 3

How many??

Post by tomneal »

I don't know how many folks it affects but

I though the only person in Hawaii with a CHL lost it when her dad retired from being sheriff.

Rhode Island looks to be about the same size as Harris county.

BUT
I thought I read somewhere that the license required to OWN a gun in New York was a license to carry. I guess I need to do some research.
See you at the range

mschadt

Post by mschadt »

As I understand it.

New York has classes of permits the two that I know of are Target/Sport and Unrestricted. Target implies that you can only have a handgun with you on the way to and from a lawful event, (gun show, gunsmith, gun store, range, hunting, etc.), and I think it has to be unloaded and locked up separate from any ammo. [kinda like our handgun laws if you don’t have a CHL.] With an unrestricted you can carry anywhere you want, for the most part. But the unrestricted permits are near impossible to get in and around the Big Apple. Supposedly, the further you get from New York, NY the more likely you can get an unrestricted permit.

As for RI, my understanding there is a sizeable "donation" to the controlling political party made on the grounds that your application be approved is about the only way to get one.

Jacob Staff
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How many??

Post by Jacob Staff »

tomneal wrote:I though the only person in Hawaii with a CHL lost it when her dad retired from being sheriff.
It's a good thing Magnum P.I. is retired :lol:
TXDPSA TSRA NRA

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

If we are going to do it...Why don't we just unilaterally recognize everyones license or permit, whether they have one or not???

I think Texas is big enough to just do it...Its not going to hurt my feelings...

I bet one tough grandma wouldn't do anything to help...So we might as well get some leverage out of this while we can...

Rick's not going to be in there forever...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Alaska-style for 2007! :grin:

Kevin

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

:iagree:

Alaska-style for 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What else do we need?

Topic author
tomneal

what else do we need

Post by tomneal »

Reciprocity with Alabama, New Hampshire, and Ohio

I don't know that I will ever travel to there but if I did, I would want to carry.

Alaska style carry in 2007
Count me as a +1 on that.

For CHL purposes:
Lets have a narrower definition of a school. Let's not include, trade school, church school when it's not in session. As a mater of fact why should any multi-use building be classified as a school when school is not in session. I don't think we should include college and universities.

Carry in employers parking lot:
The NRA want's to prevent employers from firing folks with guns in their personal car parked in the company parking lot.
I think that's a great idea.
So...
If you worked for Colt and you had a Kimber in your car
could they fire you for carrying another brand of gun?
(I used to work for Coke. They fired folks for drinking other colas.)
See you at the range

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

mschadt wrote:As I understand it.

New York has classes of permits the two that I know of are Target/Sport and Unrestricted. Target implies that you can only have a handgun with you on the way to and from a lawful event, (gun show, gunsmith, gun store, range, hunting, etc.), and I think it has to be unloaded and locked up separate from any ammo. [kinda like our handgun laws if you don’t have a CHL.] With an unrestricted you can carry anywhere you want, for the most part. But the unrestricted permits are near impossible to get in and around the Big Apple. Supposedly, the further you get from New York, NY the more likely you can get an unrestricted permit.
The class names (and format) of the "permits" varies from county to county, but your understanding of NYS laws on this matter is pretty much dead-on.

The only complaint I have with the universal proclamation vis a vis NYS is that Chuck Schumer would be able to carry in Texas with his NYPD-issued pistol permit. Somehow, that just seems so very . . . perverted.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

yerasimos, you are right. We don't need him in Texas. He don't know how to act when the playing field is level.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

longtooth wrote:yerasimos, you are right. We don't need him in Texas. He don't know how to act when the playing field is level.
Well hang on a minute...I'm having a moment of increased sarcasm here...Ok, its leveled out a bit...

Why not have Chucky be welcome in our State??? I mean if he were to get pulled over for some reason, then we could make him feel right at home by disarming him, removing ammunition from the firearm he's carrying, and telling him not to reload after they are gone...

Then...

Still write the citation...I just kinda hope its for running a stop sign...$215 seems like a fair fine for that... :smilelol5:

Ohhhh, am I going to get it now... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Why not have Chucky be welcome in our State??? I mean if he were to get pulled over for some reason, then we could make him feel right at home by disarming him, removing ammunition from the firearm he's carrying, and telling him not to reload after they are gone...
"Ten finga's on the fenda, boy!"

Sheriff J. W. Pepper
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:Why not have Chucky be welcome in our State??? I mean if he were to get pulled over for some reason, then we could make him feel right at home by disarming him, removing ammunition from the firearm he's carrying, and telling him not to reload after they are gone...
"Ten finga's on the fenda, boy!"

Sheriff J. W. Pepper
"Dat, was an attention gettah!"

Sheriff Beuford T. Justice of Texarkana!
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Other States”