I Can't Believe this!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
nedmoore
Posts in topic: 4

I Can't Believe this!

Post by nedmoore »

I had a great morning planned! Wife was tired and was going to sleep in, so I had some free time. Might as well go to the range and do some shooting! I got in my truck and headed out down the street, only to see some shady looking character going door to door with an alarm company yard sign in his hand. I decided to turn around and go back home and watch this guy for a while. I had my XD in an outside holster with my long sleeve shirt covering it. This is were this story gets interesting. This guy goes to my 80 year old widow across the street and knocks on her door, of course she answers it and I can hear her from my driveway telling him all about her alarm system at her house (30+ years old). And how her husband passed away a couple of years ago and he took care of the alarm! She even showed him the flashing light on the side of the house! I could not stand it anymore- I decided to make me, and my gun's presence known. I lifted up my shirt so the holster and gun was fully exposed and walked out to my mailbox. While "checking the mail" my neighbor saw me and shouted across the street "hello". I made sure the man that was going door to door could get a good a look at my side. I then covered my weapon with my shirt and headed across the street and made small talk with my neighbor and the salesman. He asked me "Do you mind if I ask who are you with?" I replied "I would rather not say" and then he abruptly left! I then proceeded to scold my old, widow, neighbor for telling some stranger about what, if any, security system that she had. I can only imagine how much information this guy got today going from door to door. What would you have done?

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I Can't Believe this!

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I think I would have said something like, "Yes. I would mind. I live here. Who are you? Where are you from? What are you doing here on a Sunday morning, and who are you with?"
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

Frankie,.....u lookin forward to Sunday for some reason?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

I was too busy trying to get my neighbor to shut up! I even told the guy not to go to my house across the street because we had "plenty of protection"

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Break paragraphs, please. I can't follow it as is.
Last edited by Skiprr on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

nedmoore wrote:He asked me "Do you mind if I ask who are you with?" I replied "I would rather not say" and then he abruptly left!
Excellent. Keep 'em guessing.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy."
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

Skippr, I am truly sorry if my grammar or paragraph was not up to your standards. I strive to maintain a proper representation of the King's English, and if I failed to meet your expectations, I apologize to you and the other members of this forum.
I did not know that this was the forum for the fundamentals of sentence structure or tagmemics. Maybe you can start a separate thread that would investigate and scrutinize the miscalculation of grammar, spelling, and handgun supervision. All the Best, nedmoore.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

nedmoore wrote:Skippr, I am truly sorry if my grammar or paragraph was not up to your standards. I strive to maintain a proper representation of the King's English, and if I failed to meet your expectations, I apologize to you and the other members of this forum.
I did not know that this was the forum for the fundamentals of sentence structure or tagmemics. Maybe you can start a separate thread that would investigate and scrutinize the miscalculation of grammar, spelling, and handgun supervision. All the Best, nedmoore.
Look dude, one long paragraph makes it difficult to read and follow. We try to help as much as possible, but if you are going to get so defensive...............maybe you shouldn't post.

I won't even attempt to read that. If YOU don't care enough to make it readable, many of us won't care enough to read it.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Please. You absolutely know I didn't mean it that way.

I simply want the posts to be readable.

But if you want to talk about the discussions I had with Derrida when I was at U.C. Irvine doing my MA, just PM me. I'll be happy to chat.

Meanwhile, please try to keep it legible; and try not to take offense so quickly.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

Just wanted to share this with the user's of this forum. I thought that the readers might find this interesting and possibly useful. I am going to drop it now. No hard feelings.

phddan

Post by phddan »

My old tired eyes had no problem reading through that. :lol:

Good to hear you had your wits about you.

Dan

zbordas

Post by zbordas »

We do not open the door unless we expect somebody. Especially not for any salesman.

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

What you do is call the Sheriff or Constable's office and report a suspicios "salesman" canvasing the neighborhood and let the deputy do his job.

He'll be gone or verified in minutes. If you go out brandishing then "Mr. Salesman" can nail you for threatening him with a gun. It may not be legit but can really ruin your day.
Last edited by TDDude on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TDDude wrote:What you do is call the Sherrrif or Constable's office and report a suspicios "salesman" canvasing the neighborhood and let the deputy do his job.

He'll be gone or verified in minutes. If you go out brandishing then "Mr. Salesman" can nail you for threatening him with a gun. It may not be legit but can really ruin your day.
What is it they say? "When seconds count the police are only minutes away."
Unless the town had some sort of anti-canvassing ordinance he wasn't breaking the law. It is perfectly legal to OC on ones own property. There is no brandishing law in Texas, and I'm sure the widow woman would be a fine witness to dispute any wild claims from the canvasser. I suspect the last thing this guy was ever going to do would be to call the cops.

Nedmore, I enjoyed your post thank you!I think you handled it well.

on another note:

Sheesh, I think sometimes we are pretty harsh on newer posters. I understand though that longer full length paragraphs are easier to handle in paper form than it is on the screen. We tend to be more impatient reading text on screen. Some folks tend to be a little more curt in online than they are in real life.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”