Harris County District Attorney race

This is the place for discussion specifically addressing state & local elections in Texas.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Harris County District Attorney race

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Those of you who are TSRA members should have the magazine by now. As you can see, the cover has a photo of Republican Pat Lykos, candidate for Harris County District Attorney. I want to reiterate my support for Pat and I urge Harris County residents to support her as well. I have met with Judge Lykos and had the opportunity to discuss the matters that are of prime importance on our issues. I can say unequivocally that she has earned TSRA's endorsement.

Judge Lykos is concerned about the things a major county prosecutor should be concerned about, such as organized crime and vicious criminals praying on innocent people, but she is equally interested in protecting innocent people from unfounded and politically motivated prosecution. I cannot go into detail, but I am absolutely convinced that she will not only respect the rights of gun owners in general and CHL's specifically, she will diligently protect those rights. She will never thumb her nose at legislative intent.

C.O. Bradford is the Democrat candidate for Harris County District Attorney. He was formerly Chief of the Houston Police Department. During his last 30 days as HPD Chief, he received a $14,000 sweetheart raise from his buddy, outgoing Houston Mayor Lee P. Brown. Reportedly, this last minute raise will bring him between $80,000 and $90,000 in additional retirement pay.

Many, though not all, of the people and organizations endorsing Bradford would be on a "who's who" list of liberal Democrats and their supporters. He even has a photo on his campaign website showing he and Barack Obama shaking hands and smiling. Now what does Obama have to do with the Harris County DA? Does Bradford agree with Obama's approach to "reasonable restrictions on guns?" Does he agree that "what works in Montana doesn't work in New York City [or Houston]?" Can we risk finding out? (I know that one of the organizations endorsing Bradford strongly supports presenting the Joe Horn case to another Grand Jury. I'm not saying Bradford made a commitment to present the case to another GJ, but it stands to reason he wouldn't have gotten the endorsement otherwise.)

Harris County DA Chuck Rosenthal was the catalyst for trouble statewide over the "traveling presumption." He led the charge to ignore legislative intent and numerous other prosecutors throughout Texas followed his lead simply because the Harris County DA has that much clout. Now that Rosenthal is gone, let's not gamble that he will be replaced with someone equally as contemptuous of the legislative process. There is a clear choice for Harris County DA -- it's Pat Lykos.

Chas.

aardwolf

Re: Harris County District Attorney race

Post by aardwolf »

That's good to hear. I didn't know anything about Lykos but I knew enough about Bradford to vote against him.
We're here. With gear. Get used to it.

txgho1911

Post by txgho1911 »

How did this race turn out?
http://thenewamericana.com/ instead of Drudge

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

txgho1911 wrote:How did this race turn out?
Pat Lykos won.. It is a good choice for not only Harris County but for the rest of us..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

It is still uncertain, pending the verification and counting of thousands of provisional ballots.

http://www.click2houston.com/politics/1 ... etail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given Lykos' lead and the percentage of provisional ballots likely to be disqualified, Lykos will likely remain in the lead and be declared the winner.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “Texas - 2008”