Yes, believe it...Stevie-D is looking for a job...

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 9

Yes, believe it...Stevie-D is looking for a job...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

You know that feeling you get when the "big boss" calls you up and asks to see you...

:smilelol5:

Yep, it happened to me and about 20% of the project staff at the "former" company I work(ed) for today...

Yeah, bummer...Major...

Ok, so I am a process piping designer, 'bout 2 years experience in that industry, yet I have about 18 in the CAD engineering design field...So this is not my first dance...

Companies like Jacobs, McDermott, Black and Veech, Shaw, CDI, CBI (Hal Baker) etc etc...

You know its bad when the economy and bad project planning hit this industry...I saw it coming but didn't think they'd hit this deep into the staff this time...

So I am actually venting a bit, attitude is in check, and did I mention I am a gun nut??? (should be a bonus in there somewhere)...

Feel free to PM me if you know someone at one of those companies that does Delayed Coker plant piping design, or other plant work that requires PDS designers (whatever exp level needed, blah blah blah, y'all know the drill)...

I am also open to running the ISO-metric control aspects of a project if the need is there as well...They'll know what that means...

Did I mention I am a gun-nut??? ;-)

Actually, I am a well stocked gun nut...

Good thing I am such a nice guy, and stable too!!!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Yes, believe it...Stevie-D is looking for a job...

Post by Kalrog »

Sorry to hear it, Stevie.

And since I don't know what you were talking about, I'm guessing I won't be able to suggest anything - but good luck!

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

My buddy is an instrument designer and we were just talking about the job market earlier today. I am a process analyzer tech and there used to be a large shortage of techs just 2 months ago. Now there is a surplus and some of my analyzer buddies cannot find work. The economy is getting worse than I thought, good luck and I hope you find work. I may be in your shoes in a couple of months.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

stevie_d_64 wrote:yet I have about 18 in the CAD engineering design field...So this is not my first dance...
You might check with the trade schools; anybody that's not waiting for hopey-changey handouts is going to be trying to get back to school after they get laid off, so the schools that place more emphasis on industry-experienced teaching staff might be interested.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

KD5NRH wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:yet I have about 18 in the CAD engineering design field...So this is not my first dance...
You might check with the trade schools; anybody that's not waiting for hopey-changey handouts is going to be trying to get back to school after they get laid off, so the schools that place more emphasis on industry-experienced teaching staff might be interested.
Yep, that is something I am considering...

I was doing some shop talk with someone I know, and we are of the same opinion that the "offshore" industry should be ramping up and be the dominant field to be working in in our part of the process...There is probably going to be yet another stumbling block put on the California coast again...So the Florida "gulf" area is where there may be some movement on some offshore rig projects in the near future...

But considering the political and environmental efforts to thwart any progress anywhere, it may not happen to the degree we believe to make employment a sure thing...But then again considering what happened today, I am a bit cynical...

I thought of a funny just now...

"Just because I am a gun-nut, doesn't mean I'll go postal!" :thumbs2:

But some people I figure have absolutely no sense of humor...

There are quite a number of members in this forum that know for a fact that I cannot ever be taken seriously... "rlol"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Not 100% sure of he gun part but a nut for sure. :evil2:

Sorry to here Steve. Wish I could help.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gregthehand »

My girlfriend works for Jay Ray McDermott and I will have her ask. Check out my companies website too http://www.nov.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gregthehand wrote:My girlfriend works for Jay Ray McDermott and I will have her ask. Check out my companies website too http://www.nov.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
McDermott is something I am looking into, I do not have a contact there, so this would help...

National Oilwell Varco is not on my list, I used to work there, and unless something (someone(s)) is changed, it would not be worth putting up with that again...I just talk to someone I used to work with there today...He said nothing has changed...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

Sorry to hear about this Stevie_D, things are not going so well for us either but we are all still employed. I'll keep my ear to the ground and let you know if we have any openings.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gregthehand »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
gregthehand wrote:My girlfriend works for Jay Ray McDermott and I will have her ask. Check out my companies website too http://www.nov.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
McDermott is something I am looking into, I do not have a contact there, so this would help...

National Oilwell Varco is not on my list, I used to work there, and unless something (someone(s)) is changed, it would not be worth putting up with that again...I just talk to someone I used to work with there today...He said nothing has changed...
What division did you work in? WIth so many aquisitions one part of the company is completely differant from the other. I asked my girlfriend and she said she would ask around. She is a field engineer in Houston and does all the mooring stuff for new jackets and platforms.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Canyou believe it...I am still looking!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Ain't unemployment great!!! /sarcasm

Good thing I have an outstanding personality and outlook on life...

Or we'd be in heap big trouble kemosabe!!!
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Bart

Post by Bart »

Good luck! I heard someone say Obama's campiagn promises are now "shovel ready"
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Bart wrote:Good luck! I heard someone say Obama's campiagn promises are now "shovel ready"
You have to wonder what is needing to be shoveled...:thumbs2: :smilelol5: "rlol"
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ahhh, yes, still looking...

The initial unemployment ran out, and now I am on the federal extention benefits for another 20 weeks... :grumble

But my network contacts say that the industry is loosening up...

I don't have, nor can I post a flying pig animation to emphasize my opinion on the matter...

Yet, I am strangely in good spirits...

I bet someone will come in and just say its the meds I'm on... :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :tiphat:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Job Board”