OK, I am going to broach the subject...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 8

OK, I am going to broach the subject...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Please do not shoot the instigator...I shoot back...

Understand that I have discussed and debated the tactical issues concerning the issue of...

OPEN CARRY

This is a new forum to me and I would enjoy talking about this with a more local genre of compadres...

My personal opinion is that I would like the "option" to open carry, if I feel the situation or event warrants it...But again that is a personal choice and opinion...I would not do it all the time, and would like to see if anyone agrees with just that side of the issue...

A question to answer is this...

Is Texas ready to grow up and allow this to be a choice for its citizens???

Understand that I am not one to "macho" up an issue like this for foolish personal vanity complexes...I don't think it is vanity...

To me its more of a political statement, and one I would only make (if I had the option to) if the situation dictated...

Bottom line, it sure would clear up the whole brandishing and "failure to conceal" penalties...

I'd like to get a good discussion going on this...

Later,<br>
Steve
Last edited by stevie_d_64 on Wed May 18, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Paladin »

Personally, I'd avoid open carry since I can carry concealed. Although it would be nice not to have to worry about 'failure to conceal'

I like Vermont/Alaska style laws... so I certainly wouldn't object to an open carry law in Texas.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

It's a tricky issue. Think of long guns, you can openly carry those in Texas. Would you go to a mall with a rifle on your back and expect everyone to ignore you?

Chances are somebody will get scared and call the cops, and even if in the end you are not breaking the law you will have wasted a lot of time sorting it out. On top of that many municipalities will have their own 'breach of the peace' or 'public alarm' laws that they could snag you with.

In theory however, I am not opposed to the idea of open carry as a principle.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

Suckhow
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Suckhow »

I lived in Phoenix, Arizona for about 5 years where open carry has long been legal.

I often carried openly in some of the outlying areas of Phoenix, but mostly because I was going to or from the desert for some shooting. Walking in and around convenience stores with a weapon was not that big of a deal because plenty of people did it. I never went into the heart of the city and walked into banks and offices though, because it just didn't seem like it would be acceptable.

I think a lot of it had to do with what the norm was in the immediate area.. common sense I suppose.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dws1117 »

Like others, open carry is not something that I feel that I would do with any regularity. It would be nice to have the option.

Gun control advocates don't want anyone to have a gun, but to my convoluted way of thinking it would seem that they would more comfortable when they could see who has a gun and who doesn't.

Heck, my thinking gets even crazier. I see it as a black and white issue. You either trust me with a gun or you don't.

Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

dws1117 wrote: I see it as a black and white issue. You either trust me with a gun or you don't.
Okay, I don't trust you. No one from Spring should be trusted. I grew up in Spring. I'm not to be trusted. Image

anygunanywhere

Open Carry in the Texas Heat

Post by anygunanywhere »

Open carry would be great. Concealed Carry has it''s place as well.

I don't care if people would be upset. The sheeple's attempts to keep me disarmed upset me. I don't like to be upset, especially by those who use their rights to infringe on mine.

The second ammensment does not distinguish between open or concealed, it justa says "keep and bear". It doesn't say anything about hunting weapons. It just says "arms"

Finally, it says that the right shall not be infringed. The Texas constitution is one of the first documents that needs work. Carpetbaggers wrote the firearm clause.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Okay, I don't trust you. No one from Spring should be trusted. I grew up in Spring. I'm not to be trusted.
A. It is a good thing that I am not from Spring. I migrated here a couple of years ago. :D

B. I certainly hope that you tounge was firmly planted in your cheek.

If the state trusts me enough to give me a license to carry a gun it shouldn't matter the manner that I carry that gun.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

dws1117 wrote:
Okay, I don't trust you. No one from Spring should be trusted. I grew up in Spring. I'm not to be trusted.
A. It is a good thing that I am not from Spring. I migrated here a couple of years ago. :D

B. I certainly hope that you tounge was firmly planted in your cheek, but I do see your point. I think.

If the state trusts me enough to give me a license to carry a gun it shouldn't matter the manner that I carry that gun.

Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

dws1117 wrote: A. It is a good thing that I am not from Spring. I migrated here a couple of years ago. :D

B. I certainly hope that you tounge was firmly planted in your cheek.
Whats wrong with Spring?!?!?! :cry: I grew up there man!! Those are my people.

Do you really not like it up there? What area are you in? Old Town, or the 1960 - Champions area?

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I DO like it here. Been here longer than any one place since leaving Mommies house.

I'm in the Montgomery County side. Near Riley Fuzzel(sp?). I'm too po for the Champions area. :lol:

Chris

Post by Chris »

i think open carry is ridiculous. why on earth would you ever want to show a criminal your hand right off the bat? when i play poker, i like to keep my cards to myself and when i get just what i'm looking for, i call and hit them with everything i have.

"...after all, Surprise is on our side."

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I'd like the option. I doubt I'd use it but I'd be less concerned about being "made" when carrying.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

While one may be "tipping his hand" with open carry, I would think the thug would look to someone else to attack. Which looks more inviting to a wolf? A walking sheep, or a bag full of gristle?

It would be nice for civilians to at least have the option.

glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

Gun control advocates don't want anyone to have a gun, but to my convoluted way of thinking it would seem that they would more comfortable when they could see who has a gun and who doesn't.
I'm afraid we might experience the opposite effect. Right now, people don't see guns and therefore most people don't think about them very much. Kind of a "don't ask don't tell" thing. If people started seeing guns everywhere, I'm afraid more businesses would start posting 30.06 signs and support the politicians that campaign to do away with guns.

I think very few people are aware of just how many guns walk by them every day. It may be better to keep it that way.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”