Jobs with the Government

If you have a job you want to offer to TexasCHLforum members first, or if you are looking for a job, post it here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tateb24
Posts in topic: 1

Jobs with the Government

Post by tateb24 »

I am currently unemployed and looking for a job. I am a recent college graduate, ' 08, I have tried the retail industry. I didn't really enjoy retail because I didn't feel like I was apart of the "big picture". Now I am looking for an interesting job, I have heard the ATF and FBI is hiring. What kind of work would I expect to do with these agencies?
CHL Class taken: 02/15/09
Plastic in Hand: 07/29/09
Swamphouse Woodworks
Harris County

Bart

Re: Jobs with the Government

Post by Bart »

What kind of degree? If it's a generic liberal arts degree, most government agencies need entry level people to push paper.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Carrots

Post by Carrots »

I wouldn't work for the ATF for a night of Dita Von Teese tickling my ears.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Have you registered with USAjobs.com? That is THE foremost government job board in the U.S. It has every agency listed.

http://www.usajobs.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Chris B.

Post by Chris B. »

Tateb24,

I feel your pain man. I graduated from UH back in December with a degree in economics and have had no luck with the job hunt :banghead: . Luckily I was working as an accounting intern when I graduated and now I am part-time staff, but I am miserable. I went to UH's business career fair a couple of weeks ago and it was about half the size it normally is. The problem is that there is a TON of competition for every job that opens up, and companies tend to look at #'s rather than the individual. I raced too much BMX and motocross when I first started so my GPA ended up being a 3.2 which puts me at a disadvantage when put up against a 4.0 student. I decided to go back to school and get my master's in construction management, so hopefully the market will turn around before I graduate from that program. What are you looking for?

Chris

nmsu
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nmsu »

USA Jobs is where you need to look and be open to live anywhere. Once you are a government employee you can set your sights on working in the town you want in the agency you want.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

tateb24 wrote:I am currently unemployed and looking for a job. I am a recent college graduate, ' 08, I have tried the retail industry. I didn't really enjoy retail because I didn't feel like I was apart of the "big picture". Now I am looking for an interesting job, I have heard the ATF and FBI is hiring. What kind of work would I expect to do with these agencies?
tateb24 - If you want to work for the government, do like others suggested by posting at USAJobs. However, obtaining a government job usually is a time consuming process, especially in today's economy. Even if you have a person on the inside helping you, it can sometimes take months or years to get hired. Most employers do not like to see gaps in your employment so I suggest that you get employed ASAP, while continuing to look for your "ideal job". Since I don't know you or your background, I can't really suggest which field to work in. Sometimes temporary or contract jobs are easier to obtain and then you can check out the company and the work to see if you like it.

Unless you get hired as a "fast track" employee, most entry level positions won't give you any kind of participation in the "big picture." A government job or a position in any large corporation is likely to be pretty routine. What ever job you get try to get noticed by projecting a positive attitude and do an outstanding job at whatever task that you have. I wish you the best. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Chris B. wrote:I graduated from UH back in December with a degree in economics and have had no luck with the job hunt. :banghead: Luckily I was working as an accounting intern when I graduated and now I am part-time staff, but I am miserable. The problem is that there is a TON of competition for every job that opens up, and companies tend to look at #'s rather than the individual. Chris
Chris - As you get more experience your job performance will matter much more that your GPA. You never know, you might find a hiring manager who is a BMX fan!
NRA Endowment Member

nmsu
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nmsu »

And if you can get a job with a contractor that has direct contact with government employees they will get to know you (hopefully a good thing ;-) and that can open a door or two

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nmsu wrote:And if you can get a job with a contractor that has direct contact with government employees they will get to know you (hopefully a good thing ;-) and that can open a door or two
:iagree: The tired cliche, "It's not what you know, but who you know", is very true.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Job Board”