Post by CaptDave »

Yes, it will be posted.
"An armed society is a polite society"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ahhh!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

that is garbage! It's about time TX loses 30.06 I used to live in NH and had my NH, MA and Maine CHLs and the only things that were off limits were court houses.
TPC §30.06 was enacted expressly to protect CHL's. Prior to 30.06, even a tiny "ghostbusters" transparent decal on the lower corner of a glass door was sufficient to get someone prosecuted for criminal trespass. The sign requirements are pretty onerous, which is one reason why we see so few. The other reason is that the knee-jerk reaction the CHL statute has subsided since 1995.

I think what you really want is to change the law where private property owners can't prohibit CHL's from carrying and we'd never get that passed. The best that could be achieved is prohibiting the use of 30.06 to bar CHL's from government owned property.

It's one thing to limit the number of places the Legislature determines to be off-limits to CHL's, but it's quite another to tell a private property owner he/she can't keep guns off of their property. I'm all for keeping the government list as short as possible. I also would support a bill that would not allow a commercial business operation to bar CHL’s from the property during regular business hours. Commercial property is heavily regulated already and the property owner does not enjoy the very wide latitude enjoyed by non-commercial property owners. Business owners can’t bar entry to someone in a wheel chair, nor a blind person using a guide-dog. You can’t bar someone based upon race, etc. It would not add any burden whatsoever to prevent a business owner from prohibiting a CHL on their property with a gun. I am probably in the minority in this position.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

flintknapper
Banned

Re: Ahhh!

Post by flintknapper »

erik.mignault wrote:that is garbage! It's about time TX loses 30.06 I used to live in NH and had my NH, MA and Maine CHLs and the only things that were off limits were court houses.
If its any consolation, consider this: A gun show is probably the last place you'll ever need to defend yourself by use of deadly force.

Go ahead and go. Boycotting the show on this issue serves no useful purpose IMO.

Better yet, buy something....and then we can all gloat about what that does to the anti's. :grin:

Have a good time.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Greybeard »

Nah ... better just leave it alone ...
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

spud

Post by spud »

30.06 at a gunshow is for the saftey of everyone. No one can have a loaded gun at a gun show except for LEOs. I have no problem unholstering my gun and haveing it checked at the ticket counter then putting it in my backpack with the clip. Then when I leave cut the zip tie and lock and load.

Its not about being Anti-2A. Its about that one guy that trys to pull out his loaded peice and has a ND in a croud of a few thousand.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: " Its not about being Anti-2A. Its about that one guy that trys to pull out his loaded peice and has a ND in a croud of a few thousand. "

Very well said, spud. Thank-you sir.

In my not-so-humble-opinion, it seems that it's often the same type of "mindsets" who believe they have an absolute right to carry anywhere they choose that are also inclined to think they have an absolute right to pull that LOADED "latest and greatest" piece out and SHOW IT OFF ... :sad:
Last edited by Greybeard on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Greybeard wrote:In my not-so-humble-opinion, it seems that it's often the same type of "mindsets" who believe they have an absolute right to carry anywhere they choose that are also inclined to think they have an absolute right to pull that LOADED "latest and greatest" piece out and SHOW IT OFF ... :sad:
Idiots tend to out themselves. And they will do so, often with tragic results, despite the law, property owners' rights, or common sense.

The history of NDs at gun shows, rare as they are, tends to reflect that licensed carriers are the least of your worries. Most happen when some passerby picks up a gun and pulls the trigger, and it happens to be loaded. How those loaded guns come to be out there on table is a separate issue from the unsafe handling. We've heard reports of ringers planting ammunition while the vendor is distracted, but nothing has been confirmed.

I've read two different reports of NDs at shows that involved concealed handguns, and both involved trying ill-fitting holsters on loaded guns. One was a customer, the other was a vendor. All other NDs I've heard reported involved guns from vendors' tables. I don't claim to know everything about every gunshow ND, only those I've encountered while reading several gun forums every day.

I've never seen a 30.06 at a gun show, but our Texarkana shows happen across the line at the fair grounds. I carry. I never, ever, whether at a gun show or otherwise, pull my pistol from its holster while in public. I reserve that for those times when I might need to use it, and holster fitting (or selling/swapping, showing it off, comparing, etc.) does not constitute "need to use".

I respect private property rights and owners' wishes, but I'm one of those people you might classify as of a "mindset" that I have a right to carry anywhere and everywhere. And I do.

That doesn't make me at all likely to whip it out and show it off. Quite the opposite.

Kevin

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: " I never, ever, whether at a gun show or otherwise, pull my pistol from its holster while in public."

If ALL CHLers were of that mindset, we would ALL be much better off. Unfortunately, a few are not. And you are right, the statistics indicate that the majority of the gun show NDs, as rare as they are, usually happen with (those-rules-don't apply-to-me) VENDORS' guns.

Sorry, but I'm still fuming over an incident two weeks ago today at a show very close :???: to where Mr. Spud lives. On Saturday when we ran into each other in one of the isles away from both of our tables, another vendor acquaintence (another of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children) mentioned having a new 9mm Rorhbaugh (spelling?) and reached into his pocket. Knowing his "mindset", I said "I'll look at it some other time, maybe at the range." and walked away.

Then Sunday, while looking for a magazine for a friend, I ambled by the table where he was sitting with another friend. Knowing that I own a PM-9, the guy immediately stood up, whipped the Rorhbaugh out of his pocket, dropped the magazine and jacked a JHP of the chamber, holding it up and saying "See, it shoots full power 9mm." Thereafter ... well ... let me put it this way to stay in line with the forum's verbiage policy, before asserting that the gun was supposed to be tied off and beginning to leave, my final reply included the word IGNORANT and the rest had something to do with the offspring of a female dog ...
Last edited by Greybeard on Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BadSpeller

Post by BadSpeller »

Is there anything in the 30.06 code that allows you to carry a gun with a zip tie? To my way of thinking it doesn’t matter if your gun is loaded, unloaded or zip tied you can not carry in a posted area. If this is true, can a CHL holder legally buy a gun and walk around the show with it concealed in a hard case or box?

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I've worked some as "Safety Officer" at the door, on the floor and at tie-table at some of the DFW area shows. While policies may vary somewhat, I've never known of a CHLer having a problem with carrying either exposed or concealed inside one of these shows - so long as the magazine is out and the action is tied.

Most shows here prohibit (for good reason) any type of non-boxed or non-bagged live ammo.

BTW, Huf, Welcome to the forum. :grin:

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

If the majority of gun shows around the country are like the ones I go to in Abilene, Texas, having everyone disarm is a pretty good thing.

In the past, the shows in Abilene have not not required unloading for a CHL holder.... after several things I have witnessed in the past, I wish the disarm policy was in effect !

Never before in my life, and I mean never, have I ever seen a more motley looking crowd gathered in one place. The word 'redneck' is an understatement to describe some of these folks. If I were still an LEO, I would love to be running background checks on quite a few people in the building.... but these days, they would probably call that profiling.

I watched one man pull a loaded handgun out of a concealed holster so he could see if his gun would fit another holster, etc., and he was pulling his weapon out with his finger on the trigger !

Saw another fellow trying to put a set of grips on a 1911.... and there was a clip inserted at the time !

Saw another man pull out his 9mm Glock and clip on IWB holster, put a new SOB holster on his belt, then try to put his weapon in a new, unfamiliar holster behind his back... with a clip inserted in the Glock.

This one is not a loaded gun incident, but one vendor had quite a few dummy handguns fitted with Crimson Trace grips. I sat back and watched as some true idiots and some young kids tried out the lasers.... by aiming them at other people in the room ! Don't know about y'all, but a red dot in the center of my chest is going to get my attention in a big hurry......

In each case, I did not hesitate to let the booth vendor know what what was going on. Also with each incident, they were usually busy with another customer.

As has been previously stated, the trend to disarm folks at gun shows seems to be the 'lowest common denominator' theory, and the 'lowest common' seems to be getting worse all the time.

There's another gun show in Abilene this coming weekend. If I feel up to it, I may go watch people again.......

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

DaveT wrote:Never before in my life, and I mean never, have I ever seen a more motley looking crowd gathered in one place. The word 'redneck' is an understatement ...
If you saw me, you would think I'm a redneck. :smile:

A couple of weeks ago, a grandfatherly gentleman unknowingly covered me with a rifle (I was sitting in my car). You never know who is going to have an attack of the stupids.

- Jim

EricS76

Post by EricS76 »

DaveT wrote:There's another gun show in Abilene this coming weekend. If I feel up to it, I may go watch people again.......
Many times, that's my only reason for going to the show in San Antonio. There are some interesting folks there. Very Interesting. I have no problem not carrying in there as long as it means those folks aren't carrying either.

JohnWayne

Post by JohnWayne »

For what it's worth, the 30.06 signs posted at the gun shows at the George R. Brown are completely meaningless since the GRB is owned by the City of Houston. See TPC § 30.06(e):
It is an exception to the application of this section
that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is
owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or
other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying
the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
Jeff

Skipper5
Posts in topic: 2

no problem going unarmed in Gun Show

Post by Skipper5 »

have absolutely no problem going unarmed into a public gun show...such as in Garland/Mesquite....

LEOs inside armed....fine... Got plenty of FFLs inside with quite fast reactions should assitional assistance be needed....don't consider this a 2A issue at all.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”