Flatbed Scanner ??

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Flatbed Scanner ??

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

I have a large number of family photos that I would like to scan. I have a UMAX scanner.

Here's the problem-- With the software I have ( UMAX stuff, Photoshop 7 and a couple of others), scanning each photo requires that I preview it, select the area to scan, and then actually scan it. Since a large number of these photos are all the same size, it would be much easier and faster to just scan, scan ,scan....

Suggestions on how to do this ? Different software ? different scanner ? or am I just stuck ?

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

I have had a tendency to just follow the steps. I found that I had a problem getting each picture lined up the same as the last making the selected area vary a little and throwing my scan off.

I eventually cut a template out of shirt cardboard and just went right past the area selection part.

I have scanned several hundred photos that way, and I haven't scratched the surface.

Next scanner purchase is going to be a slide scanner.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

If you have the negatives you can simply take them to any photo processor (samsclub is cheapest), CVS, Walgreens, etc and they can put them all on CD for you. :cool:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Piney,

The best thing to do is to use the Batch Scan function of your scanner. It should have this ability in the software that came with it.

What you will do, is set up an area to scan on you scanner using the Crop / Area settings, pick a name for the files, and turn off the preview.

Like you would set the Scan Area/Crop to be 4x6 from the upper left corner. Then set the file name as Family.

When you scan, it will only pickup that area, and name the first scan, Family001, then Family002, etc.
Be sure and set the LEVELS on your scanner before you do them all. That way you can have an even color, and not need to adjust every picture in PS7 when you get finished.

~Bill

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

batch scanning or a negative scanner would be best if those options are available, especially negative scanning. You dont get much better quality than that.

Barring those options, if you have a flatbed you can just line all the pictures up on the glass and scan them all at once. Then crop, rotate and tweak as needed once you have all the collages scanned.

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”