New Rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
AJ80
Posts in topic: 4

New Rifle

Post by AJ80 »

I just picked up a new rifle today.
Img0557.jpg
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

I had to make sure and break it in with at least 500 rounds before ending the range day.
It shoots great, except when I get bad rounds. I had four 100 round boxes of Remington from Wal-Mart and I had 7 that didn't fire. They all had pretty good dents in their rims, so I know it wasn't the rifles fault. I had zero problems with the 100 or so rounds of Federal I fired though. I didn't buy the scope until around the last 100 rounds, I think I still need to sight it in a little, but I'll do that on my next range trip. Today was mostly just having fun with my new purchase. :fire

RECIT
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Rifle

Post by RECIT »

We know you have the gun but we see no targets... :cheers2:

Nice rifle by the way. What made you choose that over the Remington, Colt, or Ruger?
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

I really don't know why I chose it over those others. I guess when it came down to deciding I just picked one.
I was surprised when I found out two others guys at the range that day had the same kind of rifle.
I may get some target pics up if I make a range trip this Saturday.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AJ80 wrote:I just picked up a new rifle today.
Img0557.jpg
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

I had to make sure and break it in with at least 500 rounds before ending the range day.
It shoots great, except when I get bad rounds. I had four 100 round boxes of Remington from Wal-Mart and I had 7 that didn't fire.They all had pretty good dents in their rims, so I know it wasn't the rifles fault. I had zero problems with the 100 or so rounds of Federal I fired though. I didn't buy the scope until around the last 100 rounds, I think I still need to sight it in a little, but I'll do that on my next range trip. Today was mostly just having fun with my new purchase. :fire
Those dents should be in the primers, not the rims. That might explain the problem. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Those dents should be in the primers, not the rims. That might explain the problem. :mrgreen:
That's where they put the priming compound in .22LR ammo.

:leaving
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

boomerang wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Those dents should be in the primers, not the rims. That might explain the problem. :mrgreen:
That's where they put the priming compound in .22LR

Oops! :oops: My bad. I didn't see the .22LR part. I just saw the M&P15 part. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

:thumbs2: The only reason I noticed is the 15-22 has been on my short list since it came out last year.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
boomerang wrote:
That's where they put the priming compound in .22LR

Oops! :oops: My bad. I didn't see the .22LR part. I just saw the M&P15 part. :mrgreen:
Wow, didn't expect to get such a good chuckle from this thread. Thanks for the laughs guys. :tiphat:

lama

Post by lama »

Have a ruger sr 22 and found the other day that if the slide closes on a round with the mag is not in. It fires the round. Scary thing to learn.

Topic author
AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

lama wrote:Have a ruger sr 22 and found the other day that if the slide closes on a round with the mag is not in. It fires the round. Scary thing to learn.
Wow that is scary. How did you find that out?

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

lama wrote:Have a ruger sr 22 and found the other day that if the slide closes on a round with the mag is not in. It fires the round. Scary thing to learn.
I'd be on the phone with Ruger looking for an explanation and a new rifle.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

>Have a ruger sr 22 and found the other day that if the slide closes on a round with the mag is not in. It fires the round.

That's either a defective rifle or an engineering flaw that needs to be fixed.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

lama

Post by lama »

I found it out the scary way. Luckly the thing was pointed down range. I have to figure out if its just mine or if it is a common thing. Ill be calling them within the week. (school took over for the last week and didn't get the chance )

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”