Ladies' holster options - requesting pictures

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Ladies' holster options - requesting pictures

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here's another OWB high-ride holster by Sparks. Notice the difference slide length makes in terms of your hips.

Chas.
Attachments
60TK.jpg

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I haven't worn the Kramer-type shirt, but I do have a quasi-bellyband that has a shoulder strap much like a shoulder holster. It works much better than a true bellyband since the shoulder strap bears the weight and you don't have to pull the bellyband portion so tight you can't breathe. I've used it only once or twice, so I can't give much of a field report. Although it's a totally different holster, it is functionally the same as the photo.

Chas.
Hoi Polloi wrote:Thanks!

I watched a video last night on a Kangaroo Carry equivalent. I thought the pocket was a little too flimsy with no retention, and the guy's Glock didn't fit the width so it was even more wobbly. The guy recommended it, but it didn't look like something I'd feel comfortable with. Along the same lines, a friend of mine sent me a link to this, which seems like it takes care of those issue with carrying in that location without adding straps and such that need to be hidden like a traditional shoulder holster. I dunno. I do know that I'm not built like her, but figure the arm will do much to hide it. Any experiences with anything like that? I would also like to avoid buying everything to find out if it will work! lol

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

An undershirt isn't my preferred carry but it does work. I like it better than the Smartcarry (which I own).

I have one of the 5.11 Undergear Conceal Carry shirts. It works well with my Sunday button up shirt and slacks. It is not the fastest but the gun is secured in a pocket under the arm, magazines under the other arm.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/ ... 0700:50705
(I'd post an image but I never can remember how to do it.)

While I'd still suggest that you find a traditional type of holster, this may be a alternative way to carry.

Now if I can just solve the same problem you're having with my wife....... ;-)

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

Good luck with your search!

(edited to remove website links that are no longer valid)
Last edited by Texas10X on Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 28

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Chas: I do notice how the shorter barrel has less below the hip than the longer barrel. Thanks for the illustration! I'll keep it in mind. :thumbs2:

Trog: Interesting! Thanks! I think I need to get my hands on some of these now that I am aware of what I'm kinda dealing with. I guess that means I gotta get a gun! :coolgleamA:

Tex: Thanks! I've been reading that site throughout the day. Lots of complaints over being led to get 22 revolvers! lol I will keep looking there for holster options, too. I appreciate it!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

If you have trouble concealing a gun due to tight feminine clothing and think that purse holsters are fashion abominations, then just sew a holster into your designer purse. Some purses work fine without a holster. For example, the new Versace collection bags have a magnetic clasp for the outside pockets. It fits a small pistol such as a Kel-Tec .380 cal pistol perfectly even without a holster. It looks like the clasp for the outside pockets are buckles, but the buckles are merely decorative. They are actually magnets.

The Versace bags with hard patent leather work great for gun purses because the hard leather prevents the trigger of the gun from being accidentally pulled from outside the purse accidentally. North Park Mall sells Versace at Nordstrom and at the Versace store. Do not use a "hobo" bag made of soft leather for a gun purse without installing a holster and do not put anything else in the same compartment of the purse with the gun or you will accidentally trip the trigger.

Other brands of purses also may work well, so shop around.

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I don't own any designer handbags and almost never carry a purse at all. It'll have to be on-body carry for me. :cool: (At this point, a group of shopping-savvy women is probably turning over in their graves because I had an excuse to buy a Versace purse that my husband should love and I turned it down. LOL!)

Now here's MY idea of pretty. Too bad it is OWB and only 1 clip.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps2ref3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Hoi Polloi wrote: Now here's MY idea of pretty. Too bad it is OWB and only 1 clip.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps2ref3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are IWB holsters with that type of clip. Can't really see why anyone would want a really fancy tooled holster that doesn't show. :headscratch
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Keith B wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote: Now here's MY idea of pretty. Too bad it is OWB and only 1 clip.
Those are IWB holsters with that type of clip. Can't really see why anyone would want a really fancy tooled holster that doesn't show. :headscratch
:D Because it is purrrrrrty. I was told that none of the toolwork holsters are IWB for that very reason so I just assumed. Now I know what I want! :reddevil

Other women get Versace. I want Mernickle. "rlol"

I wonder what he has for shoulder holsters....

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I would resist any holster that uses a metal spring clip for attachment.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Mike1951 wrote:I would resist any holster that uses a metal spring clip for attachment.
Me, too. I wouldn't get that one. I need something that holds it up much higher and preferably has two attachment points, preferably velcro. And I think I would prefer to carry around the 5 o'clock position. But it sure is purty!

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TLynnHughes »

Hoi Polloi wrote:
Mike1951 wrote:I would resist any holster that uses a metal spring clip for attachment.
Me, too. I wouldn't get that one. I need something that holds it up much higher and preferably has two attachment points, preferably velcro. And I think I would prefer to carry around the 5 o'clock position. But it sure is purty!
Hoi,

Check with our own RiverRat here on the forum. He makes fabulous handtooled leather holsters. He worked with me on color (it had to be purple) and style. His prices are very reasonable. Here's a picture of mine:

The picture does not do it justice. It's purty!

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Thanks TLynn I should have mentioned River Rat myself.

This is a photo of the holster he made for my wife's M&P JG.

and with the gun.

His website is. http://WWW.TEX45.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

Not able to post photos, but a small concealed hammer/hammerless .38 revolver with the Birami Hip Grip is just about the slickest and most versatile
carry system that I am aware of.

On body carry. Left hand, Right hand, cross draw, strong side, or more imaginative and creative hiding options available.

It has to be accessable or it might as well be home in the closet, so don't get too creative.

salty

Jeremae
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jeremae »

I would like to suggest you consider an Appendix Inside the WaistBand holster. CorneredCat discusses using a crossdraw holster as such but Comp-Tac sells the Minotaur Neutral Cant specifically to use as an AIWB and there are others on the market. Julie Golob , a top ranked shooter and captain of Team Smith and Wesson, had a baby recently and claims that for her, carrying a S&W j frame with such a holster is the most practical when carrying baby and diaper bag as well as the easiest/fastest to access.

As for shoulder holsters, Mernickle makes great ones but they cost.

The problem of certain female shapes making shoulder holsters problematic can be addressed with a vertical oriented holster and using a Calvary Draw instead of a Cross Body draw. Early gunslingers like Will Bill Hickock who were horse riders often carried in holsters set very high, basically where a modern shoulder holster is, and gun butt forward. The draw is using the hand on the same side of body as gun and presentation includes a twist of the wrist to bring muzzle to bear on target. I sure someone will immediately comment on how DANGEROUS the calvary draw is and DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT. In actual usage, with a moderate amount of practice, it is no more dangerous than any other draw stroke and in fact quite fast.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Return to “Ladies”