Firefox 2.0 login problem

Most of us are not "computer people" so post your technical questions and comments here. If you have computer or Internet expertise, share it here.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Firefox 2.0 login problem

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Okay computer people, I need some help. I just downloaded Firefox 2.0 and I can't log in. I also see a login field at the bottom of the page that doesn't appear in IE 6.

This is the first time I've used Firefox, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I sure can't find it.

Any ideas?

Chas.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Firefox should look pretty much the same to you as Internet Explorer. I just opened this with Firefox and didn't have any problems.

You might want to try removing it, restart your PC, disable any anti-virus software, and then install again.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Charles,
I just downloaded Firefox 2.0 and had no problems logging in. I had an older version of Firefox so there may be some difference since I just upgraded. If I run across any info I'll post it.

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kalrog »

I use Firefox and have for quite a while. I upgraded to 2.0 about a week ago and didn't have any problems at all.

If I remember correctly, you WILL have to log in with FF just like you did the first time with IE and that it should be at the top of the page on a link. You might need to disable pop-up blocking or clear the FF cache in order to really log in and have it stay that way, but it should work fairly easily. I don't know where the lower log in button that you are talking about is though...

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Maybe a screenshot so we can see what you are talking about.....

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I've always used Firefox since I joined the forum, and I've been using 2.0 since the day it was released. No problems at all.

I always enter the forum from the "Unread posts" bookmark, allow Firefox to remember my password, and chose "automatically log me in" in my forum settings.

Use this as your bookmark:
http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... d=newposts

Kevin

jimlongley

Re: Firefox 2.0 login problem

Post by jimlongley »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Okay computer people, I need some help. I just downloaded Firefox 2.0 and I can't log in. I also see a login field at the bottom of the page that doesn't appear in IE 6.

This is the first time I've used Firefox, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I sure can't find it.

Any ideas?

Chas.
Heck, I just spent 36 hours trying to get my computer back online at all.

Never having had a problem with Firefox since I started using it as a beta, I got the auto-update as soon as it was available, and it blew up after installation.

So I switched to IE and got notification that upgrades were available, so I did.

MAJOR MISTAKE!!!!! :evil:

At least IE told me that I couldn't access the net because a firewall was blocking me. Of course since I have more than one firewall and one of them is Norton, I was unable to launch Norton to cancel it.

Had to reload Norton, which took an amazingly long time due to scans that had to be done.

Then I reloaded IE, and it worked.

Then I reloaded Firefox, which now works.

Now I have to reset my firewalls and cookie blockers and everything else.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

[/quote]

Heck, I just spent 36 hours trying to get my computer back online at all.

Never having had a problem with Firefox since I started using it as a beta, I got the auto-update as soon as it was available, and it blew up after installation.

So I switched to IE and got notification that upgrades were available, so I did.

MAJOR MISTAKE!!!!! :evil:

At least IE told me that I couldn't access the net because a firewall was blocking me. Of course since I have more than one firewall and one of them is Norton, I was unable to launch Norton to cancel it.

Had to reload Norton, which took an amazingly long time due to scans that had to be done.

Then I reloaded IE, and it worked.

Then I reloaded Firefox, which now works.

Now I have to reset my firewalls and cookie blockers and everything else.[/quote]

My best advice to you is get rid of Norton. I is a resource hog and causes more problems than it solves. I use Zone Alarm, Avast, Ad Aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Advanced Windows Care 2 personal. These are all free and they work as well as Norton.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

mrvmax wrote: My best advice to you is get rid of Norton. I is a resource hog and causes more problems than it solves. I use Zone Alarm, Avast, Ad Aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Advanced Windows Care 2 personal. These are all free and they work as well as Norton.
But, of course, my workplace specifies it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

40FIVER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 40FIVER »

mrvmax wrote:My best advice to you is get rid of Norton. I is a resource hog and causes more problems than it solves. I use Zone Alarm, Avast, Ad Aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Advanced Windows Care 2 personal. These are all free and they work as well as Norton.
It takes all of those to replace Norton?

I have Norton and it causes me problems. But now I would have 6 programs to contend with. Are you sure this is the thing to do? I am a computer idiot.

40FIVER

Charles - Please delete if you thing I'm hijacking this thread.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

40FIVER wrote:
mrvmax wrote:My best advice to you is get rid of Norton. I is a resource hog and causes more problems than it solves. I use Zone Alarm, Avast, Ad Aware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Advanced Windows Care 2 personal. These are all free and they work as well as Norton.
It takes all of those to replace Norton?

I have Norton and it causes me problems. But now I would have 6 programs to contend with. Are you sure this is the thing to do? I am a computer idiot.

40FIVER

Charles - Please delete if you thing I'm hijacking this thread.
I do not think it takes all of those, it depends on what Norton you have (I had the suite which had all kinds of junk). Norton offers firewall, antivirus, registry cleaner etc. I have all those free ones now to replace the Norton. I had numerous problems caused by Norton. I haven't had any problems since I got rid of Norton. You really need anitvirus and firewall at a minimum, the rest are not necessarily needed. I like to mess around with my computer so I install all kinds of stuff to play around.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I'm totally stumped. I was able to log on using Firefox only once or twice, but not in the last three days. Today, after rebooting, I'm able to get in with FF, but I'm sure it won't last.

I've tried resetting several options, but nothing helps. None of the other forums I visit are causing any trouble, so that makes it even more odd.

I'm running Norton AntiVirus only, with ZoneAlarm firewall. Neither are causing any problems, or I wouldn’t be able to access the Internet.

Oh well, . . .

Chas.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Charles, Did Norton or ZA ask if you wanted to allow Firefox permission to access the net? Or add ports?

I run into those two alot. It is a misconception that they universally and automatically allow 'net access.
Fwiw, Norton can be worse than some virii when the subscription period lapses.
I carry the Norton removal tool on a thumdrive for the times when it has decided to go into lockdown.
ZA had me locked out of Ebay and a few other sites, once. I ended up wiping the harddrive, to get around the lockouts.

later,
Larry
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

lrb111 wrote:Charles, Did Norton or ZA ask if you wanted to allow Firefox permission to access the net? Or add ports?

I run into those two alot. It is a misconception that they universally and automatically allow 'net access.
Fwiw, Norton can be worse than some virii when the subscription period lapses.
I carry the Norton removal tool on a thumdrive for the times when it has decided to go into lockdown.
ZA had me locked out of Ebay and a few other sites, once. I ended up wiping the harddrive, to get around the lockouts.

later,
Larry
Neither program asked for access, but it is correctly configured in ZoneAlarm. Also, it isn't having any trouble accessing the Internet; it just doesn't want to log on to this forum. Others are okay. I am using FF now, but I'm sure it won't last.

Chas.

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

That makes me wonder...
I've had problems recently with the forum "hanging", pages not loading, stallling, and I use Mozilla.
The problem I was having seems to have gone away, and i have not done anything on my end. Of course, Java that is core to Mozilla products,may have updated in the background. Or some otherr glitch could have been fixed.

Later,
Larry
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Return to “Technical Tips, Questions & Discussions (Computers & Internet)”