Conceal methods for women

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
gymnst
Posts in topic: 3

Conceal methods for women

Post by gymnst »

I'm new to this forum and have read through many of these topics, but I am looking for advise and recommendations on how other women carry.

I don't want to change my wardrobe and start dressing in baggy clothes, and the conceal purses I have seen are, let's just say "not cute".

I have bought one of those purse organizers (waiting for it to be delivered) in the hopes that I can attach a holster to it and be able to change from purse to purse depending on outfit....but don't know if this is real practical either.

Thoughts?

Barbi Q
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Conceal methods for women

Post by Barbi Q »

A lot depends on your wardrobe and your build. I wear jeans a lot and carry AIWB in the hollow between my hipbone and belly button.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

Well, I have 2 carry purses, that I think are kinda cute. One is a no-name real small messenger style leather purse, holds my snubby revolver, couldn't put anything any bigger.
The other is a Coronado Hobo style, I think it's the small one, not positive, I base that idea on pictures I've seen with one slung cross-wise, that's not happening with mine. it could hold a larger gun than mine. Coronado makes alot of purses, alot of styles. Galco does too, also Guntotenmamas(? check that) I got mine on ebay at good prices, you do have to search.

I normally carry on body...I simply got a few pair of jeans that were about 1 size bigger, but fit well everywhere else, just held the holster....I took the holster jean shopping with me....along with my teenage daughter...couldn't miss with both of them along ;-) they're only slightly too big in the waist....not at all baggy, I've lost a fair bit of weight in the last 5 years, I don't do baggy anymore.
With the jeans, I wear a tank (the holster is a bit rough against the skin), then comes what ever shirt, then I typically wear a jacket or vest.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
gymnst

Post by gymnst »

Thanks guys.

Tracy, I have seen the hobo style and I think I would like that, but they are so pricey! I'll look on ebay. I actually had not thought of that. I had seen them at Cabella's for $300....and I am not about to pay that for a purse. :)

OH, and I scrolled down far enough on the home page, that I saw there is a section for women on this forum. I'll have to do some reading there!

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Gymnast,

be real cautious on ebay, if you are interested in a particular purse and are willing to bid more because the seller says it's xyz mgf, be sure they have put a pic of the label, don't just bid because of a pic of the purse, or they're word. I recommend, bid on what you want, and bid only what you're willing to spend......and please don't ask how I know.... :oops: (decent vest, bad seller)

I will say that I have seen Coronados at gun stores in colors never, ever seen on ebay or even the .com!!!....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RHenriksen »

Gymnast, also read http://www.corneredcat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - great website for women & guns. Covers a lot more than just carry methods, but that part's in there, too.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

gymnst

I have added you to the Woman's group so you can post on the Ladies Only Forum. I have also moved your thread to the Ladies Genereal Forum.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

gymnst,

There is a whole thread about purse carry in the "Ladies Only Forum".

One question to keep in mind when considering the cost of carry devices whether holsters or purses: "How much is your life worth?" I have seen so many CHLers buy great guns, go through all kind of checks and tests (using expensive ammo) to be sure their guns will function only to get cheap make due carry devices! Your gun can only be helpful to you if you can access it efficiently when it is needed. I am not saying that you need to buy a $300 purse. However, if it works and you will use it perhaps you should consider it provided you can afford it. Basically buy the best equipment you can afford when it comes to your life and your loved ones lives.

I use a DeSantis super Fly pocket holster in my Fossil purse. The holster keeps my gun in position perfectly and the sticky outside of the holster keeps it in my purse when I draw my purse off my gun. If you really want to have a holster sew in, you will need to go to a good shoe repairman.

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I have not changed my wardrobe at all, but I am an old mom and have never been a fashion diva ;-) I am a jeans and t gal.

That being said I carry either a 9mm or a 380. I wear scrubs to work and use a belly band for my 380. On Jeans/ pants days I wear either a Tucker Heritage with my 9 - I can wear it either strong side OR cross draw depending upon what I am wearing. I have even worn with dress khakis but would have appreciated a stiffer belt (next investment I guess). I have a Durham Comfort Carry Mini Body guard I carry same as 9 either strong side or cross draw. My "strong side" is about 1:30 or 2PM (if you use your body as a clock looking down on yourself from above and your belly button is 12, spine 6) and my cross draw is 11ish. I have even used hubby's super fly for my 380 in purse carry (used my own purse with an extra pocket) and recently ordered a kholster for my Colt and superfly's for that and my 380. I typically carry on body as I am quite distractable. I am terrified I will leave my purse unattended or worse yet forget it somewhere.

I can wear tucked and there is a thread somewhere I posted a picture of me with my 9 in a plain tee and jeans tucked. I never thought I would be able to do this when I first started. I can only suggest try things when you can. I am very "tactile" when it comes to learning, and going to forum day and touching and trying different options was SO helpful. There are also some awesome videos of a young lady demonstrating many carry options. If I were better with attaching links etc I would post them - do a search, and they will come up. There are several awesome threads on here about this topic.

Welcome! and Good luck in your adventure. I have learned that carry is like "style" different for everyone, find what you are comfortable with. It is not cookie cutter. You are in a great place for pointers!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

scroll down the page on this section to this thread "Ladies' holster options - requesting pictures" read through it, there are several videos linked, the limalife video are great, there are some others on youtube also that are real good too. you can waste alot of time there.
~Tracy

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=35890" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link to the thread.

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Hope this is appropriate for inclusion in this thread. I don't really have answers as much as I do questions.

I have resorted to purse and fanny-pack carry. Not that I prefer these methods, but because I feel I have limited options. I would love to come up with something for consistent on body carry, but run into these complications:
1) OWB - fine in winter, when I double up shirt layers. But in the summer I go down to one layer, and I have been a habitual shirt-tucker for so many years that my pants/belt feel uncomfortable (forget about the feel of the gun) without a shirt between them and me. That means, in order to be legal and "comfortable", I have to sweat like crazy, and look funny wearing shorts, tshirt (tucked), and cover shirt (untucked).
2) SmartCarry - tried it, but ran into a problem: Short torso, high waistline (and beltline on waistline). The SmartCarry naturally positioned low, and then my pants and belt came way above the top of the butt of the gun (multiple inches) - meaning access to gun in emergency would be very difficult. I suppose that's better than being unarmed, but definitely sub-optimal in my mind.
3) IWB - well, first I still have the short torso, high waistline issue. My belt rides on that high waistline, and if I carry forward of the hip (say at 2:30), the butt is going to be impossibly jammed into my ribs. Although I guess I presumed that's where I would carry. Why I didn't think of the 3:00 position I use with OWB, I don't know.

Has anybody else had similar complications/quandaries? How did you overcome them?

Additionally, I guess I have a couple basic concerns about IWB (presuming I get a tuckable holster, or just forgo tucking entirely). First is that the holster/gun will be uncomfortable against my skin. What have others who IWB carry found with this? My second concern is sweat - I am concerned about the potential damage to my firearm from sweating on it while carrying IWB, particularly in the 9 months/year of summer we have in Texas. I know I sweat in that area based on my (soaked) clothes upon finishing my daily walks in the summertime - and that's at 9:00am. So summer = sweat in my mind. Am I being overly concerned about my firearms? Or is it legitimate for me to want to avoid sweating on them?
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

I have discovered the joy of underarmor type undershirts. Don't know where they have been all my life!

I am very shortwaisted! However I am "blessed" in other areas, I do believe this helps with the concealement somewhat - I carry IWB at about 1-1:30 or 11-ish cross draw. Can carry all day and is very comfortable for me. Felt huge at first, but I can tuck no problem and don't have to have an extra cover garment - I do go untucked often because I am not a "svelt" as I used to be, so it hides a multitude... if you will.

JMPHO
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

Divided Attention wrote:I have discovered the joy of underarmor type undershirts. Don't know where they have been all my life!

I am very shortwaisted! However I am "blessed" in other areas, I do believe this helps with the concealement somewhat - I carry IWB at about 1-1:30 or 11-ish cross draw. Can carry all day and is very comfortable for me. Felt huge at first, but I can tuck no problem and don't have to have an extra cover garment - I do go untucked often because I am not a "svelt" as I used to be, so it hides a multitude... if you will.

JMPHO
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try some of the underarmor undershirts.

Great idea for the 1-1:30/11:00 wear ideas. That should move the butt out of my ribs. Do you have a particular holster maker you like?
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Divided Attention wrote:I have discovered the joy of underarmor type undershirts. Don't know where they have been all my life!

JMPHO
I know DA. She is being hard on herself. She looks great! Her comments and suggestions are spot on.

I would suggest you check the Comp-tac line of holsters. They have several styles.

Return to “Ladies”