Leglislative Question

Discussions about relevant bills filed and their status.

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 2

Leglislative Question

Post by stash »

If a bill is filed in the house and subsequently is voted on and passes in the house, does the bill have to have a companion bill in the senate (and passes in the senate) before it becomes law? At this point in the session is it to late to file a bill in the senate? Just trying to clear these two points up in my mind. Thanks,Stan
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Leglislative Question

Post by RPB »

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc/process.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After a bill has been read a third time, a vote is taken for final passage. If the bill receives a simple majority vote, it is considered passed, and the chief clerk of the house or the secretary of the senate, as appropriate, certifies the bill’s final passage, noting on it the date of its passage and the vote by which it passed. When the bill is passed in the originating chamber, the bill is engrossed (all corrections and amendments are incorporated into it), and an exact and accurate copy of the engrossed bill is prepared and sent to the opposite chamber for consideration.
http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/gtli/legproc ... eturn.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Return of a bill to the originating chamber

After a bill has passed through committee deliberation and three readings in the opposite chamber, the bill is sent back to the originating chamber. A new copy of the bill is not prepared; rather, any amendments are simply attached to the bill. If no amendments were adopted by the second chamber, the bill is enrolled (prepared for signing). The enrolled bill then is signed by both presiding officers in the presence of their respective chambers and sent to the governor. Any bill making an appropriation must be sent to the comptroller of public accounts for certification before going to the governor.

When a bill that has been amended by the opposite chamber is returned to the originating chamber, the originating chamber must concur with all of the amendments made by the opposite chamber before the bill can be enrolled. If the originating chamber does not concur with some or all of the opposite chamber’s amendments, it may request the appointment of a conference committee to resolve the differences between the house and senate versions of the bill.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Would be nice if they posted a "flow chart" with the various branches/contingency paths ... if/then ... if not/then ...
I'm no lawyer

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hirundo82 »

RPB wrote:Would be nice if they posted a "flow chart" with the various branches/contingency paths ... if/then ... if not/then ...
Here you go.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

Topic author
stash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stash »

Appreciate the quick responses. That flow chart does make it clear. Stan
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

hirundo82 wrote:
RPB wrote:Would be nice if they posted a "flow chart" with the various branches/contingency paths ... if/then ... if not/then ...
Here you go.
Thank you :tiphat:
With all the steps/obstacles/potential amendments/minimum 2 committees, etc, I'm always amazed any new law gets passed .... ever.
Last edited by RPB on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

RPB wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
Here you go.
Thank you :tiphat:
With all the steps/obstacles/potential amendments etc, I'm always amazed any new law gets passed .... ever.
It may not seem so when you want something passed, but that's a GOOD thing! :tiphat:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

"rlol" true, but I'm always amazed ONE committee ever gets anything done, so two or three ...
I'm no lawyer

Return to “2011 Texas Legislative Session”