Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range opened north of McKinney

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range opened north of McKi

Post by Beiruty »

Great range, great host. I just wish if the day fee was $10 to $15. I would be there more often.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

BSB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BSB »

If they were charging 30 a day I would go. Wait I did including my son. Seriosly though, range fees are peanuts compaired to the amount of money I have invested in firearms. If you were starting a range from scratch would you charge less? There is a lot of expenses to just invite people out to shoot for peanuts. I would rather pay more to help a new range take off. Or you can go pay less somewhere else and deal with bad attitudes and guys talking down to you.You can become a member for 100 bucks and it is only 15 dollars per visit. When they start a SASS club I will join. I don't bench shoot often enough to join now. I am not afilliated with this range I just wanted to share my good experience and hope you all have as good a time as I did.

See you on the range!

BSB

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

I don't use an outdoor range much. I had the AR for 3 years or so before finally deciding to sight it in. I mostly do indoor pistol shooting.

I went there in March, with my Son who was visiting from Canada, to sight in my AR at 25 & 50yds.

It is a no hassle, friendly, clean place with chairs, bags and even a spotting scope for your use.

Highly recommended. It's even fun to watch the experts with the high dollar rifles hit the bulls eye at 400 and 500yds!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AEA wrote:I don't use an outdoor range much. I had the AR for 3 years or so before finally deciding to sight it in. I mostly do indoor pistol shooting.

I went there in March, with my Son who was visiting from Canada, to sight in my AR at 25 & 50yds.

It is a no hassle, friendly, clean place with chairs, bags and even a spotting scope for your use.

Highly recommended. It's even fun to watch the experts with the high dollar rifles hit the bulls eye at 400 and 500yds!
I was there that day. I am the other Canadian shooting his Sig 556. Your son did a great job with your AR. It was nice meeting you.
Beiruty,

AEA

Post by AEA »

Hi Beiruty.

Thanks for letting me know that was you! :tiphat:

Good to meet you too and I enjoyed talking with you! :cheers2:
1911's RULE!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

What a coincidence. It wasn't at the range, but I met a Canadian on that same day in McKinney. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

:patriot: :txflag:
1911's RULE!

super8neon

Post by super8neon »

Wow... How long have I been asleep???

Last I was around, I had heard that Tom Bean had been shutdown.
Now this Range popped up.

To think I used to think I lived in the boonies...
34 mins / 24.25 miles

Now why did I just pull my long distance scope off of the Bushmaster and put on a Red Dot????

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

AndyC wrote:The range website says that FMJ is permitted to be shot at 100 yards only - is that right?
no one will question you. Shoot as you want, if in doubt you can ask. Most likely you will be told to keep your shots low and not flying high and you would be fine.

One thing, I would like them to do is raise the backstop.
Beiruty,

Razgriz

Post by Razgriz »

I knew about this place for a while, just never got around to going. I'm looking for some food for my '24 mosin that isn't steel core (gotta love that soviet surplus). Would be fun to shoot open irons at 500 yards.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Top Gun Shooting Club 500 yd range CLOSED north of McKinney

Post by C-dub »

I can't find a decent news source for this. I was recommending the Top Gun range up in Leonard to a friend last night and they told me they heard it was permanently closed. I've searched around here on our forum and didn't see anything regarding this travesty.

Apparently, someone bought some land down range and is building or has built a house and wanted the range closed down. They went to court last year and the range lost. Has anyone else heard about this? The only place I can find anything about it is other forums from my searches. My googlfu must be horrible today.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

C-dub wrote:I can't find a decent news source for this. I was recommending the Top Gun range up in Leonard to a friend last night and they told me they heard it was permanently closed. I've searched around here on our forum and didn't see anything regarding this travesty.

Apparently, someone bought some land down range and is building or has built a house and wanted the range closed down. They went to court last year and the range lost. Has anyone else heard about this? The only place I can find anything about it is other forums from my searches. My googlfu must be horrible today.
C-Dub,

It closed not long after you and I were there with Beiruty over a year ago. Really too bad, it was such a laid back great experience when we went there...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
C-dub wrote:I can't find a decent news source for this. I was recommending the Top Gun range up in Leonard to a friend last night and they told me they heard it was permanently closed. I've searched around here on our forum and didn't see anything regarding this travesty.

C-Dub,

It closed not long after you and I were there with Beiruty over a year ago. Really too bad, it was such a laid back great experience when we went there...
That's what I've found. I thought there were new laws that were passed a few years ago to protect ranges from stuff like that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Shooting Ranges”