Latest pig kills. !WARNING BLOOD!

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Shockvalue
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Latest pig kills. !WARNING BLOOD!

Post by Shockvalue »

Houpilot2001 wrote:I know pigs are a nuisance but ****. Should've left "Babe" for next year.
Those taste the best!

Congrats! KAP (kill all pigs!). :thumbs2:

one73maro

Post by one73maro »

That looks like some good eatin! I have read alot of good info about the 60 grn Nosler Partition bullets. I picked up some at Cabelas and had a friend load them up for me. I believe he used some H322 with Remington 7 1/2 primers in LC brass. They are right at 3000 fps and very accurate. I have shot them out of my 20" varmint ar with 1/9 twist at the range. I have not had a chance to shoot them out of my 16" carbine ar yet so not sure how the do with the shorter barrel. With the 20" I was getting 5rnd groups at 100yds that I could cover with a quarter. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to knock a hog down with one yet.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Houpilot2001 wrote:I know pigs are a nuisance but ****. Should've left "Babe" for next year.
Nits grow to lice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Nits grow to lice.

:iagree:

RockingRook

Post by RockingRook »

I have pig hunted in Texas for many years. The pig population has exploded and no matter how many you kill does not seem to make a dent.

Most of my hunting has been north of Sabinal, TX.

Someone asked about ammo. I have used a .240 and every caliber up to and including a 300 WSM.

Contrary to popular myth pigs are not that difficult to bring down. Some talk about the "armor" they have on their shoulders but all of
my guns have done the job usually in one shot. I do not use FMJ I use regular hunting ammo including the cheapest soft points you can buy.

I have hunted all over Texas including the Centerville area, Encinal area but mostly the Sabinal area.

For meat I go after pigs that are no higher than my knee which is usually an 80-100 lb hog. Bset eating!! Larger ones tend to be strong
especially the boars.

My hunt that I remember the most was with my .44 mag. I went out to the feeder area about 3:30 AM. ot about 10 yards from the feeder and laid down
on the ground and covered myself with leaves. About 30 minutes prior to the feeder going off, around 5:45AM the pigs started coming around.
I had pigs all around me. They also laid down near the feeder waiting for the thing to go off. I shot one no further than 10 feet from me with the .44

Pigs cannot see too well but their sense of smell is supposed to be really keen. My friend said I must smell like a pig. :lol:

Anyhow, I did that once and never did it again because it was stressful and a stupid thing to do. :shock:

Down around the Encinal area there were not only many hogs but javalina as well. I find that javalina are much more aggressive than feral hogs and
will never try that with them. Around Encinal there are not many trees to climb and those cactus are not easy to climb.

No matter how big or small Javalina are they are not good for meat but they make excellent trophys.
Born in Brooklyn, NY joined AF in '65 as a 2nd Lt. Went through Naval EOD School in 67. Spent
the next 8 years in and around South East Asia. I was stationed in Texas in '84. Retired from the AF in '85.
Remained in Texas, raised my 2 kids and here I stayed. I hope it Rains!!

kevin

Post by kevin »

Kill em! awsome
I like 1911's

Return to “Hunting Photos”