Border Patrol Check Point Outside El Paso

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
smtimelevi
Posts in topic: 9

Border Patrol Check Point Outside El Paso

Post by smtimelevi »

On my way into Texas (just moved here) driving on I-10 E I encountered a border patrol check point maybe 10 mi outside El Paso. Supposedly the K9 picked up a scent and they had me pull over for further inspection. It was late at night maybe 2 am and I had been driving for over 15 hours at that point. I never herd that dog bark or do anything crazy but my eyes were pretty bloodshot and they must have thought I was high because they asked me repeatedly about marijuana. I dont use and didnt have any etc. but they insisted their dog could smell it. I'm still trying to figure out how the dog told them that it was pot and not some other drug,lol. Maybe the California license plate tipped him off. Cant wait to get some Texas plates and shut that door in my life. Any ways short story long they asked me about weapons and I told them "I've got a whole bunch" Had my folding knife in pocket and a buck knife on the dash, tactical shotgun under the backseat, and my kimber custom in the center storage compartment. The first agent didn't seem concerned about the firearms but wanted to leave my pocket knife in the truck. So they asked me to step out and wait while the dog sniffed around. While I was waiting about 5 border patrol agents came over by my and hovered around, they politely asked me to keep my hands from my pockets. I had some small talk with them and they seemed good spirited bunch just kinda bored, they were all in their 20's. They asked what I had in the vehicle drugs, illegals, weapons. I said " just weapons". They asked what and seem surprised about the handgun. One asked " it's not loaded is it?" I replied "Oh yea its loaded, thats the point right?" They didnt ask anything further besides where I was going. All in all they were very professional and courteous. When they let me go on my way I got back in the truck and found my knives on the dash the kimber unloaded in the center compartment, mag and chambered round in the cup holder. The shotgun hadnt even been touched. Other than wasting my time not too bad.

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Border Patrol Check Point Outside El Paso

Post by steveincowtown »

smtimelevi wrote: Other than wasting my time not too bad.
and completely violating your 4th Amendment rights.

Shame this is going on but glad to hear they were at least polite; I am sure the Nazi's were at first as well.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

steveincowtown wrote:
smtimelevi wrote: Other than wasting my time not too bad.
and completely violating your 4th Amendment rights.

Shame this is going on but glad to hear they were at least polite; I am sure the Nazi's were at first as well.
Yeah.... Mixed emotions on this one... for sure..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

AEA

Post by AEA »

BTW,....

Drug Dogs do not normally bark. Mostly they go around wagging their tail looking for the scent. When they catch it they will do what they are trained to do and that is normally sit and stay still.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Lodge2004
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lodge2004 »

AEA wrote:BTW,....

Drug Dogs do not normally bark. Mostly they go around wagging their tail looking for the scent. When they catch it they will do what they are trained to do and that is normally sit and stay still.
Back in my Army days the MP's had an older dog that would get excited and empty his bowls when he got the scent. Made quite a mess when he was nosing through someone's closet. :eek6

AEA

Post by AEA »

Really be a mess if he had a busy day and many hits! "rlol"
I wouldn't want to be the handler of that dog! :shock:
1911's RULE!

AEA

Post by AEA »

smtimelevi wrote:While I was waiting about 5 border patrol agents came over by my and hovered around, they politely asked me to keep my hands from my pockets. I had some small talk with them and they seemed good spirited bunch just kinda bored, they were all in their 20's.

When they let me go on my way I got back in the truck and found my knives on the dash the kimber unloaded in the center compartment, mag and chambered round in the cup holder.
While you were out chatting and they were searching your truck, that's when they wrote down the serial number of your Kimber (for sure) and possibly your shotgun for entry into the "non existent" Federal DATABASE!
1911's RULE!

Topic author
smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

Wasnt sure what kinda authority they had as border patrol with the check point. I Remember reading something that they can only search your vehicle on the way in the country but there was some bull clause that they had authority to stop and search you on probable cause within 100 mi of the border. Probable cause is so vague that they could have thought I was high. I was thinking it would be quicker to let the dog smell around since I didnt have anything to hide than it would be to argue with 'em. I didnt have the energy to pull out the pocket constitution and go toes with them because I'd been driving 17 hours at that point. I wouldnt have let a cop do that, I probably shouldnt let them either if it happens again. I could care less about them taking the serial# of my gun, it bought it used from a fella at a gun show. I didnt let them have my drivers license or anything. Good luck connecting it to me,lol. Ive definitley got to get better about drawing the line with the LE when I know theyre crossing it.

AEA

Post by AEA »

smtimelevi wrote:I didnt let them have my drivers license or anything. Good luck connecting it to me,lol.
They had your License Plate # though. :shock:
1911's RULE!

Topic author
smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

AEA wrote:
smtimelevi wrote:I didnt let them have my drivers license or anything. Good luck connecting it to me,lol.
They had your License Plate # though. :shock:
uh oh.... your right. looks like its time to get rid of that pistol. Anybody want to sell or trade me a hand gun, in .45? I like 1911's (American made models) and glocks :fire . I'm in San Antonio :txflag:

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

smtimelevi wrote:
...Ive definitley got to get better about drawing the line with the LE when I know theyre crossing it.
Let us know this works out for you.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Oldgringo wrote:
smtimelevi wrote:
...Ive definitley got to get better about drawing the line with the LE when I know theyre crossing it.
I think if done correctly and politely a reasonable LEO will know that you know your rights.

Flex Your Rights Video:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am hope no one here would give up their 4th Amendments rights any quicker than their 2nd.

Edit- as apparently I forgot my amendments for about 2.2 seconds
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

AEA

Post by AEA »

steveincowtown wrote: Edit- as apparently I forgot my amendments for about 2.2 seconds
That's OK,.......the current Govt. and it's "Brownshirts" forget the amendments all the time. :roll:
1911's RULE!

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

steveincowtown wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
smtimelevi wrote:
I think if done correctly and politely a reasonable LEO will know that you know your rights.

Flex Your Rights Video:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am hope no one here would give up their 4th Amendments rights any quicker than their 2nd.

Edit- as apparently I forgot my amendments for about 2.2 seconds
Did you intentionally leave out the requirement for the moon to be in the seventh heaven and for Jupiter to be aligned with Mars?
:smilelol5:

Topic author
smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

Oldgringo wrote:
smtimelevi wrote:

Ive done it before. I respectfully declined and told them my lawyer could be contacted for any further questions. That cop didnt say another word to me.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”