Introduce yourself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 50

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by seamusTX »

Welcome to the forum.

If you're 65 or older the license fee is reduced to $70, and some instructors offer "senior" discounts. It's liberating to have the plastic and not worry about whether you can carry a weapon near a school and all those other boogiemen. Also it's handy for other states that don't have the equivalent of our Motorist Protection Act (unlicensed car carry).

- Jim

wally775
Posts in topic: 10

Post by wally775 »

seamusTX wrote
Welcome to the forum.

If you're 65 or older the license fee is reduced to $70, and some instructors offer "senior" discounts. It's liberating to have the plastic and not worry about whether you can carry a weapon near a school and all those other boogiemen. Also it's handy for other states that don't have the equivalent of our Motorist Protection Act (unlicensed car carry).

- Jim
Actually I believe it is 60 years old for the discount. :tiphat:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I tried to find the fee schedule yesterday, but I ran out of patience. The DPS site is not the best-organized one I've ever seen.

As I get into that age bracket, I find that "senior" discounts start at age 55 in some places. If I have to deal with arthritis and gray hair, I emphatically am going to save a few bucks where I can. ;-)

- Jim

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

seamusTX wrote:I tried to find the fee schedule yesterday, but I ran out of patience. The DPS site is not the best-organized one I've ever seen.

As I get into that age bracket, I find that "senior" discounts start at age 55 in some places. If I have to deal with arthritis and gray hair, I emphatically am going to save a few bucks where I can. ;-)

- Jim
Here you go: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... eqDocs.pdf
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I found that page, but it does not define "senior citizen." I guess you have to go to Government Code §411.195, which does define it as 60 or older for this purpose.

- Jim

packinmama
Posts in topic: 1

Post by packinmama »

Female
Married with 2 children
Stay at home mom (homeschooled my special needs older son for 2 yrs)
Just got my CHL (July 2011)
I carry a Sig P238

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

I'm the user formerly known as simply "Thane." The old username is still active, but I cannot for the life of me remember the password, and I must have used an old, now defunct, email address for the username.

So I'm back, new shoes, but still the same (JS) Thane. :P

Oh, and re-introductory info...

Mid/late 20's, on the denser side of the gender gap, BP Agent, and carry an HK P2000 (duty sidearm).

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SATX-Scrub »

packinmama wrote:35
Female
Married with 2 children
Stay at home mom (homeschooled my special needs older son for 2 yrs)
Just got my CHL (July 2011)
I carry a Sig P238
Welcome to the forum! I'm quite new but get so much good advice just reading the posts. You will enjoy it!
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

texanron
Posts in topic: 19

Post by texanron »

Welcome to the greatest forum on the web y'all!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

fishman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by fishman »

Welcome, enjoy, lots of good information here. :cheers2:
IANAL

hpcatx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hpcatx »

strider67 wrote:Please accept my apologies, as well. I have been posting for a while, without the proper introductions. I guess I felt 'right at home' here on the forum and just jumped right into posting.
I, too, have not formally introduced myself -- although I've been a forum member for almost a month and lurked around reading all the posts for a few months prior to that.

I've lived in Austin for over fifteen years, married, and no kids yet. I carry a Ruger LC9 with Win. PDX1 and an extra mag. Also have a S&W9VE (one of the later Sigmas, after the problems were resolved) that I prefer to keep around home. I've had my CHL for just over two months.
:txflag:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." - L. McDonald

Mahzik

Post by Mahzik »

Hello All! I'm new to the forum and appreciate all of the tremendous information that I have found in just a little browsing. I'm looking forward to really digging in - lots to learn and great info on this site.

Male
Age 46
Married for 11 years
1 Daughter
3 dogs
Live in greater Houston area
Guns:
Browning Hi-Power with full length Bomar Sight and target trigger (my dad's)
Sig P220
H&K P30 v3 9mm (intended carry weapon)

I've applied for my CHL and as of this morning, all requirements have been satisfied and I'm just waiting for DPS to "manufacture" and send me my license! :biggrinjester:

Mahzik
Mahzik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little-Lonestar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Little-Lonestar »

23, born and raised in Texas, been around guns my whole life.
Female
Graduating with bachelors in Spring '12, then hopefully straight into my master's program!
Not single (he lurks on this board every day, but doesn't have an account yet.)
We both did our classes on August 28, he's mailed off his info, and I'm about to get all the requirements for mine.
Between the two of us we have a nice little collection of guns, but I haven't decided what to carry yet. I want to try out his new Ruger LCR. :)

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 61

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Little-Lonestar wrote:23, born and raised in Texas, been around guns my whole life.
Female
Graduating with bachelors in Spring '12, then hopefully straight into my master's program!
Not single (he lurks on this board every day, but doesn't have an account yet.)
We both did our classes on August 28, he's mailed off his info, and I'm about to get all the requirements for mine.
Between the two of us we have a nice little collection of guns, but I haven't decided what to carry yet. I want to try out his new Ruger LCR. :)
Welcome Little-Longstar, we're happy you've joined us.
Little-Lonestar wrote:Between the two of us we have a nice little collection of guns, but I haven't decided what to carry yet. I want to try out his new Ruger LCR. :)
:lol: It's amazing how many guns guys have lost to the ladies in our lives! I guess it's fair since we buy a lot of guns for the wives and girlfriends, then volunteer to shoot them if they don't like what we bought.

Again, welcome to TexasCHLforum.
Chas.

Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: :lol: It's amazing how many guns guys have lost to the ladies in our lives! I guess it's fair since we buy a lot of guns for the wives and girlfriends, then volunteer to shoot them if they don't like what we bought.
I apply that philosiphy to a lot of things. Golf Clubs, electronics, etc. I bought it for you, but if you don't like, I guess I'll use it. :woohoo
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”