Need a short term handgun for wilderness protection

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
WildernessBoater
Posts in topic: 1

Need a short term handgun for wilderness protection

Post by WildernessBoater »

Hello all....I know this is a loaded question (pun intended) but can I purchase a handgun in a state that I will be visiting? I paddle many solo canoe trips on extremely remote wilderness rivers in the states. I feel pretty confident with bear pepper spray but I would feel more confident with a sidearm for back-up capability. (also for mountain lions, black bears, etc)

A few examples of my trips: 95 mile solo canoe trip on the Grande Ronde River in Oregon/Washington.
Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande in Texas... 83 mile trip done numerous times. Twice solo. (Extremely remote)

Rio Grande trip concerns would be mountain lion and bandito.
Next trip is Flathead River in Montana..... concerns would be grizzly.

Can I purchase a gun in say Montana or Texas even though I'm from out of state? I would then sell the gun back to the dealer dirt cheap before flying home.

PS - In the past I've "rented" a .357 magnum in Texas. haha.....yeah.....seriously. Along with my PFD (Personal Floatation Device) I rented a PPD (Personal Protection Device) for $100 for the week. That source has moved. This type of "rental" was also done in another state out west which should remain anonymous. Since "renting" is not quite the way to go, is there any other solution for me? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW Im in my fifties, stable, level headed, discreet.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need a short term handgun for wilderness protection

Post by G.A. Heath »

Per federal law? No, there is not a legal way to rent/borrow/buy a handgun in a state you are not a legal resident of.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

WildernessBoater wrote:Can I purchase a gun in say Montana or Texas even though I'm from out of state? I would then sell the gun back to the dealer dirt cheap before flying home. [...] Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Since I'm not really a revolver guy, the "threat" of being dunked screams Glock to me, and the threat of wildlife calls for a 10mm. (Or like a .44 Mag or something if you are a revolver guy.)

Any reason you can't just buy the gun and keep it? A new Glock 20 is what? $550, $600, if you don't shop around? You say your plan is to sell it "dirt cheap" before you go home; you'll probably only get $200 out of it. So, in effect, you're paying $400 dollars every time you go on a vacation to "rent" a gun that, were you to buy it new, would only cost you $600 to own out-right. If you're going even as often as twice a year, you only have to save $33.34/month to make up the $200 difference; or go without it for your next trip, and put the $400 you saved towards the price of new gun; or spend the $400 a used one upfront and be done with it. A used Glock 20 for $400 might not be a deal you come across every day, but it shouldn't take you too long to find one for that price.

I guess I fail to see the logic in your course of action. And that's all assuming that what you want to do is in fact legal, which at least one member here says isn't the case.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm confused...

If you are traveling to a place where you are allowed to possess a gun, why not just bring one? Flying with a gun is relatively easy. Driving with a gun is also relatively easy. Just read up on the laws of the states along your route and, worst case, take the gun apart and lock the pieces in two separate locked containers in the trunk of your car.

No? What am I missing?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...sniff, sniff... :roll:...don't step in this one...first post and he's admitting breaking Federal laws and wants to do it again...just needs someone to "help" him...

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

WildernessBoater wrote:... can I purchase a handgun in a state that I will be visiting?
Nope. It is a federal felony. It is illegal to purchase any firearms at all from a private citizen in a different state. It is also illegal to purchase any handgun from a federally licensed firearms dealer in a different state. You can only purchase a handgun in your state of residence.

Any further discussion of how to "get around the law" violates the terms of service for the forum and is not acceptable.
WildernessBoater wrote:BTW Im in my fifties, stable, level headed, discreet.
This is a gun-related discussion forum, not a personals ad. :roll:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Aside from the willful admission of violating federal laws in the past, potentially asking how to circumvent them again can land you in a world of trouble. You might not like the laws, but you need to obey them.

Secondarily, if it's grizzly bears you're worried about, you're not likely to find any pistol, short of .458 Win Mag or a .600 Nitro Express will have a chance of stopping one. Worse, if you DO kill a grizzly, you've violated federal law and they WILL come after you. If they discover it's a "borrowed" gun you used as well, you're going to find your days in the wilderness will come to an abrupt and very long end.

Best protection against grizzlies is a large can of bear spray (pepper spray in a fogging container) and a pair of boots you can use to run away from the teary-eyed bear.

Want a pistol? Buy one in your state legally. Learn the laws of how you can travel from one state to the next with it, and learn the laws of how and when you can carry your weapon.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicen ... additional" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

tbrown wrote:http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicen ... additional

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
The OP isn't asking if they can ship a gun to themselves, they are asking if they can purchase a handgun in a state they are visiting (meaning not a legal resident of). After the OP is done with the firearm they want to sell it back to the dealer they purchased it from. This would be a violation of federal law, while your solution is legal and not a violation as they would be shipping a firearm they already own to themselves.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

He claims his goal is having a handgun for solo canoe trips. I suggested an easy way to accomplish that goal if he's legit. Ship a handgun to himself c/o the outfitter. No FFL required.

Many people already said his method was illegal. Nothing gained by me piling on the assumption he's a troll.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...well, there's the word I was looking for... :thumbs2:

AEA

Post by AEA »

I forgot how to spell it....... :lol:
When I use it I get in trouble! :shock:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I'd check his fishin' license for sure...

AEA

Post by AEA »

:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildernessBoater wrote:Hello all....I know this is a loaded question (pun intended) but can I purchase a handgun in a state that I will be visiting?
Not legally, why don't you bring your own?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”