Signature line changes coming soon

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Signature line changes coming soon

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Signature block size:
A few of our Moderators have pointed out that some Members have signature lines that look like billboards. They are so tall that every post takes up 3 or 4 inches even for a one line post. This is obviously a problem when people are using small monitors or smart phones to read the Forum. Plus, it simply looks bad.

We haven't set a maximum pixel height, but the Moderators will discuss it and a limit will be set in the next week or ten days. The character limit will also be reduced from 300 to something lower. If you have a large signature, then give some thoughts what you really want to keep. I have no idea how the software will treat signatures that are over the limits that will be set so it would be a good idea to see what yours is in terms of pixels and character count.

Back links to TexasCHLforum:
More and more people are including links to their websites in signature lines. Often these are links to businesses. Over the last year or so, we have made three requests that people posting links to other websites include backlinks to TexasCHLforum. Advertising on TexasCHLforum is fine (within our rules), but courtesy would seem to prompt a return favor. Unfortunately, few people have honored these requests. Effective Monday, Dec. 19th, posting a link to a commercial site in a signature line will be allowed only if a backlink to TexasCHLforum is posted on that website. If the link is to another board or discussion forum, just put the link to your signature line on that board. The backlink rule does not apply to another discussion board or blog that is noncommercial.

We realize that there may be reasons why Members cannot or do not wish to link to TexasCHLforum and that's fine; we're not offended. For example, you don't see a link to the Forum on my firm website or my wife's real estate website, but I don't include a link to them in my signature line either.

When this rule goes into effect, the Moderators will begin checking for backlinks, but this will obviously take a good bit of time. They certainly won't have time to send PMs to people violating the rule asking for compliance, so they will simply delete the links in signature lines. Please don't replace the link until you contact a Moderator and let them know you have placed a backlink. They will verify it and let you know it's okay to post the link.

Thanks,
Chas.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Signature line changes coming soon

Post by Oldgringo »

Good job! Thanks.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Thanks for doing this. Maybe there can be a limit on total height, so someone who includes a picture gives up some space fand can't post as much text as someone without a pic. Also it would be nice to be able to use a quote from a song, poem, speech, etc. as long as it's no more lines that the signatures where people list their entire gun collection or CHL timeline.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

tbrown wrote:Thanks for doing this. Maybe there can be a limit on total height, so someone who includes a picture gives up some space fand can't post as much text as someone without a pic. Also it would be nice to be able to use a quote from a song, poem, speech, etc. as long as it's no more lines that the signatures where people list their entire gun collection or CHL timeline.
Right! Who cares about someone's gun collection, CHL timeline, scriptural passages...or pictures of their family or pets or cars or whatever. Concealed is concealed.

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

Oldgringo wrote:Right! Who cares about someone's gun collection, CHL timeline, scriptural passages...or pictures of their family or pets or cars or whatever. Concealed is concealed.
If you don't want to see them at all, that's an easy fix.
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nofluff.jpg
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

tbrown wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Right! Who cares about someone's gun collection, CHL timeline, scriptural passages...or pictures of their family or pets or cars or whatever. Concealed is concealed.
If you don't want to see them at all, that's an easy fix.
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nofluff.jpg
Thanks. I did not know that...either.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...me, too, neither...that's better...hard for these old eyes to sort all that out sometimes...the li'l pic by the name helps me spot a poster...by the time I learn all these program secrets...the Boss'll get a new program...

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:We haven't set a maximum pixel height, but the Moderators will discuss it and a limit will be set in the next week or ten days. The character limit will also be reduced from 300 to something lower. If you have a large signature, then give some thoughts what you really want to keep. I have no idea how the software will treat signatures that are over the limits that will be set so it would be a good idea to see what yours is in terms of pixels and character count.
In addition to character limits, it would be cool if the software automatically cuts off pictures in signatures if they exceed the 128x256 limit. Automatic means less work for the moderators.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

Any more specificity as to when "soon" is yet?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”