Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

ACTION ITEM - CASTLE DOCTRINE BILL

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I hope everyone has their phone and email "trees" ready, because we need to make some calls and send faxes. Emails are fine, but only if you also call and fax. Here is what needs to be done.

Please call and fax your House Representative in support of Chairman Driver’s HB284 - Castle Doctrine. The last I heard in early February, this Bill had 101 co-sponsors and one would think it would be easy sailing for the bill. However, HB284 wound up in the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee. There are problems on that committee, but we also have very good friends there! It is critical that all calls, faxes and emails be very respectful and non-threatening! One nasty or threatening call can destroy a lot of good work.

In addition to calling and faxing your own Representative, we need you to do likewise with each committee member on Criminal Jurisprudence. Here are the members:

Rep. Aaron Pena - Chairman

Rep. Allen Vaught Vice-Chairman

Rep. Debbie Riddle

Rep. Juan M. Escobar

Rep. Terri Hodge

Rep. Barbara Mallory Caraway

Rep. Paul Moreno

Rep. Paula Pierson

Rep. Robert Talton
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seamusTX »

I sent faxes to those representatives that I could find fax numbers for, namely:
Mr. Talton - (281) 487-8988
Ms. Pierson - (512) 474-2147
Ms. Hodge - (512) 463-814
Mr. Escobar - (512) 463-1765

[Later] Ms. Hodge's fax machine is not answering.
[Still later] It worked.

- Jim

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

Quick question. The freshman Democrat who is the vice chair on that committee is also a co-author of the Castle Doctrine Bill.

Why would a co-author attempt to hold up the bill? What means are they using to do so?
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Just checked the Legeislature's site, and it looks like HB 284 and SB 378 are scheduled for public hearings on 2/27 and 2/28 respectively.

Do we need to have someone go & speak for these bills? I'm pretty sure that the Bradys will be there...

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Isent out Fax on these

Found 2 more FAX numbers
Aaron Pena 512 463 0043
Debbie Riddle 512 463 1908

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Mithras61 wrote:Just checked the Legeislature's site, and it looks like HB 284 and SB 378 are scheduled for public hearings on 2/27 and 2/28 respectively.
Per the NRA-ILA Alerts yesterday, next week is a big week (quoting):

On Monday, February 26, the House Committee on Law Enforcement will consider three NRA-backed measures which will allow Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHLs) to transport and store handguns in their locked private motor vehicles while parked on their employer's property: HB 220 by State Representative Phil King (R-Weatherford), HB 511 by State Representative David Farabee (D-Wichita Falls) and HB 992 by State Representative Patrick Rose (D-Dripping Springs). Many employers in Texas have "No Firearms" policies that extend beyond the physical workplace to include parking lots, garages, and other parking areas under the employer's control. This effectively prohibits employees who are CHLs from protecting themselves in their parking area at work - and during their commute to and from work every day! The committee will also consider HB 1037, by Representative Farabee, which extends the same protections to all employees (not just CHLs) and all firearms locked in private vehicles parked at work. Please contact members of the House Law Enforcement Committee and urge them to support all four measures. You can find contact information for committee members by visiting http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Committe ... rship.aspx.

On Tuesday, February 27, the House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence will consider HB 284, by State Representative Joe Driver (R-Garland), NRA-backed "Castle Doctrine" legislation that offers protection from criminal prosecution and civil lawsuits to individuals who justifiably use force to protect themselves and their families. The bill also contains language stating that you have "no duty to retreat" from a violent attack that occurs outside your home. Please contact members of the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee and urge them to support HB 284. Contact information for committee members is available at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Committe ... rship.aspx.

Finally, on Wednesday, February 28, the Senate Jurisprudence Committee will consider SB 378, by State Senator Jeff Wentworth (R-San Antonio), the Senate version of the NRA-backed "Castle Doctrine" bill. Please contact Senate Jurisprudence Committee members and urge them to support SB 378. Contact information for committee members is available at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Committe ... rship.aspx.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Will938

Post by Will938 »

jrosto wrote:Quick question. The freshman Democrat who is the vice chair on that committee is also a co-author of the Castle Doctrine Bill.

Why would a co-author attempt to hold up the bill? What means are they using to do so?
Seems to me that he likely wants it to pass considering the people he's supposed to represent. But if he knew it was coming and didn't want it to pass he could put some rediculous stuff in there that no one would want to pass. But it doesn't look like he did, right?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Will938 wrote:
jrosto wrote:Quick question. The freshman Democrat who is the vice chair on that committee is also a co-author of the Castle Doctrine Bill.

Seems to me that he likely wants it to pass considering the people he's supposed to represent. But if he knew it was coming and didn't want it to pass he could put some rediculous stuff in there that no one would want to pass. But it doesn't look like he did, right?
Listen to the public hearing on the Internet.

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

The upcoming one on Tuesday? Or is there one archived that relates?
"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women." Ronald Reagan

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

jrosto wrote:The upcoming one on Tuesday? Or is there one archived that relates?
The upcoming public hearing.

Chas.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Listen to the public hearing on the Internet.
jrosto wrote:The upcoming one on Tuesday? Or is there one archived that relates?
I don't imagine it works very well unless you have broadband, but for everyone's benefit, here is the link for the launchpoints of the legislative Webcasts:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/

On the right-hand side, look for "Video Broadcasts"; one link for the House, one for the Senate. Unfortunately, the two are managed separately...and the House gets higher marks for its Web organization than the Senate on this one. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

jrosto

Post by jrosto »

I am seriously considering taking a vacation day and heading on down for this. Anyone else going to be there?

k5dmb

Post by k5dmb »

Well, they just wrapped up the committee meeting and the substitute HB 284 was adopted and passed to the full house with the recomendation that it do pass and be placed on the calendar...

Vote was 5 For and 3 Against
David
NRA Life Member
Semper Fi

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”