Eligibility question

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
matajl
Posts in topic: 7

Eligibility question

Post by matajl »

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and in need of assistance. Back in 2006 I was arrested and charge with evading arrest with motor vehicle. It is a state jail felony with 3 years confinement. I was placed on probation with deferred adjudication for 3 years and successfully completed it. Does this deny my chance for a chl? I read that felonies deny you for life. Then I read that I would have to wait for 10 years to apply. Then I called DPS and was told that if I was deferred I should be okay. I am reading different things and now I am confused. I plan on taking the class tomorrow and would like to know so I won't waste people's time and my money. I have all my paper work complete, also have my judgment disposition, and added that to the application. Thanks everyone. \M/ BTW one hell of a way to introduce myself... Hi i'm new and been in trouble with the law....

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Eligibility question

Post by Jumping Frog »

I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!

Well, I won't answer your original question because I don't want to give you a guess. There are people that will know for sure . . .
matajl wrote:... Hi i'm new and been in trouble with the law....
You sure aren't the first person to find their way here for those reasons . . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Bart

Post by Bart »

It looks like you may be eligible in 2016.

From the Texas Government Code § 411

172 (a) (3)
has not been convicted of a felony

171 (4)
"Convicted" means an adjudication of guilt or, except as provided in Section 411.1711, an order of deferred adjudication

A person is not convicted, as that term is defined by Section 411.171, if an order of deferred adjudication was entered against the person on a date not less than 10 years preceding the date of the person's application
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Topic author
matajl

Post by matajl »

O'well. I guess I will wait until then. Man the past can haunt ya in a way. Thank you for the info.

Topic author
matajl

Post by matajl »

I have been reading a lot of laws and forums and it seems that I might be able to get a Florida permit. Should this be the next route? I'm a veteran and a family man. I really dont want to wait the next 4 years to carry.

GeekDad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GeekDad »

matajl wrote:I have been reading a lot of laws and forums and it seems that I might be able to get a Florida permit. Should this be the next route? I'm a veteran and a family man. I really dont want to wait the next 4 years to carry.
Florida CHL is a viable option... if for whatever reason I get denied I will carry a Florida CHL.

I do recommend taking a Texas CHL course simply so you know for sure the laws and what not.

http://hasslefreechl.com/index.php
I believe the Founding Fathers meant for the law to be understood by every man, so he/she could understand their rights and defend them. The convoluted laws of today have stripped us of our understanding and as such, our rights. CHL Holder Since 05/04/2012

Topic author
matajl

Post by matajl »

I have taken the CHL class already. Very valuable information. I did it for the "just in case" factor.Is anyone here a Texas resident that has a Florida CCW and not a Texas CHL? I am reading the process is not long at all. Is this true?

GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

matajl wrote:I have taken the CHL class already. Very valuable information. I did it for the "just in case" factor.Is anyone here a Texas resident that has a Florida CCW and not a Texas CHL? I am reading the process is not long at all. Is this true?
4 hour class. thats it. :cool:
I believe the Founding Fathers meant for the law to be understood by every man, so he/she could understand their rights and defend them. The convoluted laws of today have stripped us of our understanding and as such, our rights. CHL Holder Since 05/04/2012

Topic author
matajl

Post by matajl »

Not bad I just found out that my DD-214 will work for the class room. If someone has an honorable discharge they can use this in place of the NRA class that's needed. Well, I downloaded all the paperwork and they are sending me the fingerprint card. Texas FAST prints don't count even though they use the same system. I pretty much got everything taken care of. Just need to get the app to a notary. So we shall see. I can understand why Texas has you wait for a while. I have been reading so many forums. I feel like I know TX's and FL's laws verbatim. By the way, should I join an organization like the NRA, GOA, TSRA, and etc? Do I have to be a member and/or have a chl in order to shoot in pistol competitions?

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

NRA and TSRA memberships are great they are the two organizations that seem to work hardest for our Second Amendment rights. The others are good too NRA and TSRA are my go to. You need NRA membership to shoot in NRA sanctioned matched.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
matajl

Post by matajl »

Wow... Not bad... I guess I'll check out the other forums for all the info so this one dosent get off track. Thanks everyone. :thumbs2:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

GeekDad wrote:
matajl wrote:I have taken the CHL class already. Very valuable information. I did it for the "just in case" factor.Is anyone here a Texas resident that has a Florida CCW and not a Texas CHL? I am reading the process is not long at all. Is this true?
4 hour class. thats it. :cool:
Must have proof of proficiency with a firearm via one of Florida's approved methods. There is only one of them that does not require you shoot, which is the Hunter Safety course from your state (Texas in this case.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

matajl wrote:Not bad I just found out that my DD-214 will work for the class room. If someone has an honorable discharge they can use this in place of the NRA class that's needed. Well, I downloaded all the paperwork and they are sending me the fingerprint card. Texas FAST prints don't count even though they use the same system. I pretty much got everything taken care of. Just need to get the app to a notary. So we shall see. I can understand why Texas has you wait for a while. I have been reading so many forums. I feel like I know TX's and FL's laws verbatim. By the way, should I join an organization like the NRA, GOA, TSRA, and etc? Do I have to be a member and/or have a chl in order to shoot in pistol competitions?
I am not sure a DD-214 in itself will meet the requirement of '5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;'. I would think you would need to show a military connected firearms proficiency certificate of some type.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Keith B wrote:
matajl wrote:Not bad I just found out that my DD-214 will work for the class room. If someone has an honorable discharge they can use this in place of the NRA class that's needed. Well, I downloaded all the paperwork and they are sending me the fingerprint card. Texas FAST prints don't count even though they use the same system. I pretty much got everything taken care of. Just need to get the app to a notary. So we shall see. I can understand why Texas has you wait for a while. I have been reading so many forums. I feel like I know TX's and FL's laws verbatim. By the way, should I join an organization like the NRA, GOA, TSRA, and etc? Do I have to be a member and/or have a chl in order to shoot in pistol competitions?
I am not sure a DD-214 in itself will meet the requirement of '5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;'. I would think you would need to show a military connected firearms proficiency certificate of some type.
Firearms Qualification should be listed on a DD-214 under "Badges." Although I have numerous DD-214s, it is sometimes omitted.

Topic author
matajl

Post by matajl »

The DD-214 is good to go. Here is the info plus I had to call on this one. Good stuff to know for anyone who plans on getting one through Florida.

Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license/certification number.
Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:

documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
former military personnel can submit switch to loan guaranty service a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

My form is good. Some 214's don't have the info on them. Be sure to check that out.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”