HR 1022

Relevant bills filed and their status

Moderator: Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RoundRock_Gun_Fan
Posts in topic: 1

HR 1022

Post by RoundRock_Gun_Fan »

I wrote my Congressman about HR 1022 asking him to vote against it if it were to get out of committee. I was pleasantly surprised when he responded back. One thing I noticed is the name of the bill, H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. I guess that is how they will try to get support!

Dear David :

I would like to thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. Your views on this matter are very important to me.

As you may know, the ten year ban on the manufacture, transfer or possession of semi-automatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices expired on September 13, 2004. Since this time, several bills have been introduced to reinstate this ban, including H.R. 1022. I am a firm supporter of the second amendment, and I understand your objections to this ban on certain semi-automatic weapons and larger magazines. Please rest assured that I will keep your views firmly in mind as this important matter is discussed in U.S. House of Representatives.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you need any further assistance.

Sincerely,

John Carter
Member of Congress

Later,
RR
Para-Ordnance 1911 SSP .45
Colt 1911 Government Model (1913)

O6nop
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HR 1022

Post by O6nop »

RoundRock_Gun_Fan wrote:I was pleasantly surprised when he responded back.
I don't know how pleasant the response is... Good for you for writing, though. It's more than I have done so far. I plan to change that.
RoundRock_Gun_Fan quoting Congressman wrote: ... I am a firm supporter of the second amendment, and I understand your objections to this ban on certain semi-automatic weapons and larger magazines. Please rest assured that I will keep your views firmly in mind as this important matter is discussed in U.S. House of Representatives. ...

Sincerely,

John Carter
Member of Congress
Sounds kind of uncommitted to me, a standard reply as I've seen in other posts. Supporting the Second Amendment does not necessarily mean he is for semi-automatic weapons and hi-cap mags to be free from a ban, he merely understands your objections.

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

:iagree:
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

seamusTX

Re: HR 1022

Post by seamusTX »

O6nop wrote:Sounds kind of uncommitted to me, a standard reply as I've seen in other posts.
I agree it lacks the stirring tone of "from my cold, dead hands," but Mr. Carter has an A rating from the NRA as an incumbent.

As a Republican, he can't do anything about this bill unless it comes up for a vote on the floor. In that case, all he has to do is vote No.

- Jim

O6nop
Posts in topic: 2

Post by O6nop »

That's an endorsement I can live with :smile: . I don't think he's my rep tho' :???:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

"Please rest assured that I will keep your views firmly in mind as this important matter is discussed in U.S. House of Representatives."

Why oh why, can't anyone just say, "No!"

"I will not support this bill, or anything like it inserted into any other legislation to make it more difficult to oppose."

"I will work to amend or remove such wording from bills that this type of ban hitch-hikes on. And if those measure fail, I will oppose and vote no on the overall bill! No exceptions!"

See how easy that is...Heck if I can do it, seems to me that would be easy for them to state, then stick to your guns after all is said and done...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

kauboy

Post by kauboy »

Stevie, its obvious why they can't do that. THEY ARE POLITICIANS!!!!
Unfortunately this is the type of response you would receive from any of them. Once someone gets elected, for some reason they loose their convictions completely and fall into the same pacifist mentality. It sickens me too. You're not alone in your sentiments.

I recommend everyone see "Man of the Year" with Robin Williams where he is a comedian who gets elected President. During his whole campaign, I was yelling at the TV saying "Why can't any real politicians be as straight forward as this???!!!" Seriously, he abides by no conventions and never prances around the answer to avoid toe-smashing. Good flick!
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

tsteven1

Post by tsteven1 »

Sounds like a good movie. I'll look for it.
God, Guns, & Country.

Return to “2007 Texas Legislative Session”