Images in Replies

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Images in Replies

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I received a request to add a modification to the Forum that would strip image tags from replies. As more and more people read the Forum using mobile devices, this becomes a bigger issue because of the time it takes to reload the same photo several times (i.e. with each reply).

I'm looking for mod candidates and we have several criteria it must meet before we would consider installing a mod. Even if we find a suitable mod, there is one concern that no mod can address and it deals with the need to show a photo in a reply. If one cannot post a meaningful reply without the original photo, then the mod would be a problem. For example, if a thread that has multiple different photos in different posts, then commenting on one would be meaningless without the original photo.

I'm looking for a mod that will strip image and youtube tags from all replies by default, but that has a check box option that would allow Members to include image/youtube tags in quoted posts simply by checking the box. I don't know if such a mod exists and if it does, does it meet all of the criteria for us to install it.

Meanwhile, please help our mobile device users by taking out image and youtube tags from the quoted portion of your responses, unless it is necessary for your reply to have meaning.

Just to be clear, I am not discouraging using photos or youtube videos in your posts! The request to remove the IMG tags applies only when you reply to a post by hitting the "Quote" button and then only when the photo is not necessary for a meaningful response.

Thanks,
Chas.

92f-fan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Images in Replies

Post by 92f-fan »

Should be a pretty straight forward if then statement ....

Havent used phpbb in years but it should be easy to write or to find already written

Hang on
here is a previously written mod that does most of what you want
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... es_to_url/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5000 people have downloaded it

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I don't have any experience with phpBB, much less phpBB mods, but...

If you were okay with just a simple edit of the phpBB source, I would just add a checkbox under the "Options" and have the receiving page see if it's checked and if so or if not (depending on how you want to word the checkbox), just run the message that is to be posted through a small little function to check if there are any IMG or Youtube tags within a QUOTE tag and if so, remove it.

If you are interested, I have some time so I could install phpBB on a test server and test my implementation there.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

:iagree: I usually delete them manually on my Replies. I have noticed that it is taking longer for my computer to load the pages in the Song and Vinyl threads. I post in both. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

MOA

Post by MOA »

I have seen forums where quoted images and videos in replies get converted to links. If someone wants to click they can but it saves cluttering up the screen with a half dozen copies of the same picture in a thread.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

I think we could all help in this area until a "fix" is found, by cutting out the portions of a post containing images/multiple images that we are not responding to, and just leave the poster's words that you wish to reply to. Why not just cut the rest out after hitting the "quote" button, before typing your response. I wish we would all do the same when replying to a single point in a post that has lengthy paragraphs containing multiple points, especially by several different posters, when all we are trying to do is respond to one sentence or point. Maybe it's just me, but when I have to scroll through a quote of a gazillion paragraphs, only to see one sentence highlighted by the responder, in red or bold, followed by their response to that single sentence at the bottom of the post, it drives me nuts. :crazy:

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

MOA wrote:I have seen forums where quoted images and videos in replies get converted to links. If someone wants to click they can but it saves cluttering up the screen with a half dozen copies of the same picture in a thread.
This sounds like the simplest and cleanest solution to me.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

MOA wrote:I have seen forums where quoted images and videos in replies get converted to links. If someone wants to click they can but it saves cluttering up the screen with a half dozen copies of the same picture in a thread.

They will do this often in sewing forums, then if you click on the link the is brought into the thread. works perfect....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've downloaded the mod p2f-fan posted (thanks!) and I'm looking into installing it. It would convert images to the url, but I'm not sure it does anything for Youtube tags. If not, it's not a big deal since there aren't that many Youtube videos.

Thanks folks,
Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”