Gunsmith for night sights

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
swap71
Posts in topic: 1

Gunsmith for night sights

Post by swap71 »

Any suggestions on a Houston area smith to install a set of night sights ? The front sight on my 1911 will need to be milled. I cant see sending it to novaks or XS and spending that kinda money?

Teamless

Re: Gunsmith for night sights

Post by Teamless »

The Arms Room has a sign up "Night Sights installed while you wait"
Not sure if that means bring your own, or buy theirs though
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

I agree on Ed V. If you need any millwork done. Pure genius.

I installed truglo tfo sights on a customer's springfield and had Ed do the millwork. His Kimber dovetail sight cuts were better than the ones I have seen on Kimbers. Reasonable cost and quick turn around.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Steve133

Post by Steve133 »

+1 on Ed Vanden Berg. Had him install a set of Heinie sights on my 1911 (which required milling on both the front and rear), and he does great work. Reasonably priced; turnaround in my case was pretty long, but I think that was due to medical issues that he was having at the time (hard to do precision work after a horse has stomped all over one of your hands).

One note - I don't know if he just dislikes telephones or what, but he'll probably be very brusque when you call to set up an appointment, almost to the point of being rude (at least that's what's happened every time I've talked to him, which is a decent number of occasions). Don't let that fool you. When you actually talk to him face to face, he's a super-nice guy. Also a great asset - he's forgotten more about 1911s than most of us will ever know, and is very willing to talk things over with you until you're sure what you want. He strikes a very good balance of listening to the customer and providing recommendations; he'll try to find solutions that will fit your needs and preferences without pushing excessively towards what would fit his. That's unfortunately kind of rare in his business.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”