Laptop/Messenger Bag-5.11, Hazard 4 or Maxpedition??

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Medic218
Posts in topic: 3

Laptop/Messenger Bag-5.11, Hazard 4 or Maxpedition??

Post by Medic218 »

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to three option but I want to see if anyone has any personal experience with any of these before I make a purchase.
I just got a promotion at work and will now need to carry a laptop(15.4") and a leather binder with me daily as well as various forms and paperwork.
Some other stuff I'll be carrying include a safety vest, pens, 3D Maglite, small Streamlight, metal clipboard and various small thing like an Advil bottle as such.
Here are the three I'm torn on...

Hazard 4 Ditch/MOD
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maxpedition Operator Tactical Attaché

5.11 Rush Delivery Messenger Bag

Each one has it's own pros and cons in my opinion. I'm just looking to see if you've ever used one of these.
If you know of a similar, cheaper alternative that would fit the bill let me know.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

snatchel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Laptop/Messenger Bag-5.11, Hazard 4 or Maxpedition??

Post by snatchel »

I'm familiar with Maxpedition, but not that particular bag. I can say that the Maxpedition brand is fantastic though. Probably the sturdiest bag I own-- Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger.
No More Signature

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I have a couple or five Maxpeditions in various configurations and have nothing bad to say about them. I have had one for about 5 years and have loaded it HEAVY with ammo many times. I carry a Versipack when I hunt if I'm walking and glassing and have drug it over rocks, through briars, even had it fall off my UTV at full throttle without as much as a loose stitch. No experience with the other two.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

For work purposes I would carry something that does not draw attention to it self. The hazard 4 is looks like any other type of lap topcase. The others scream "active shooter" even to the unaware. :eek6

If your're gonna carry your "life insurance policy" ;-) around with you do it discreetly.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I have a self admitted bag fetish. I have used most of the tacticool and outdoor brands out there. 5.11 is my least favorite of any of them due to construction. Tactical Tailor is probably the best, for tactical usage. If you were looking for a full size pack - I would steer you towards Kirafu, but they don't make a messenger bag. Maxpedition is ok, but always left me with a "meh" reaction every time I handle their products. Others use and love them, so I seem to be in the minority.

When it comes to messenger style bags, I think the outdoor guys get the nod for everyday usage, carrying guns/mags/cuffs secretly, and holding up to wear/tear. 2 out of 3 favorites are made by outdoor companies.

The three bags in that style get the most use in my collection are as follows:

A Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack like this: http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/lumb ... ft-fx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Mine is older and discontinued, but Mountainsmith replaced a buckle that I slammed in the trunk and broke for free. I use this one to carry workout clothes, and uniform clothes (black Under Armor etc) to/from work. Had it the longest, and I love it. Priced around $50-$70

A Timbuk2 messenger bag. Made popular by cyclists, before the baby I used this on wet weather days to/from school as it is weatherproof. Post baby, it has been seized and converted to diaperbag duty as it is one that I don't mind toting around, and matches our high falootin' stroller, carseat, baby carrier. That's life. These are around $60, I think I have a medium one. http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For commuting to school and flight travel, I mostly use a leather messenger bag from Banana Republic. It was pricey but was a gift from the wife when I got readmitted to finish my engineering degree a few years back while I was working full time. It has held up splendidly, and I love it. I think they are around $250 new. Here is a googled link I found of my model - http://s1070.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... 1.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know those aren't the comparison's you were looking for, but I think they would serve you well.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I use a Filson. Their bags are extremely well made.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I have two Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslingers set up in bug-out configurations, hanging on hooks in my bedroom. http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/KOD ... 12p938.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That means I trust them to do their job when the chips are down.

I wouldn't have anything else hanging on those hooks.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

LSUTiger wrote:For work purposes I would carry something that does not draw attention to it self. The hazard 4 is looks like any other type of lap topcase. The others scream "active shooter" even to the unaware. :eek6

If your're gonna carry your "life insurance policy" ;-) around with you do it discreetly.
I don't plan on carrying my pistol with me when I work.....sadly.
gigag04 wrote:A Mountainsmith Lumbar Pack like this: http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/lumb ... ft-fx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Mine is older and discontinued, but Mountainsmith replaced a buckle that I slammed in the trunk and broke for free. I use this one to carry workout clothes, and uniform clothes (black Under Armor etc) to/from work. Had it the longest, and I love it. Priced around $50-$70

A Timbuk2 messenger bag. Made popular by cyclists, before the baby I used this on wet weather days to/from school as it is weatherproof. Post baby, it has been seized and converted to diaperbag duty as it is one that I don't mind toting around, and matches our high falootin' stroller, carseat, baby carrier. That's life. These are around $60, I think I have a medium one. http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Mountainsmith guys didn't have anything in the area of what I'm looking for and while I like the Timbuk2 products they're a little pricey.

Topic author
Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

Thanks for y'all's input!
I ended up ordering the Hazard 4 model.

Choctaw

Post by Choctaw »

I have a Hazard iPad sleeve and some Maxpedition stuff too. I think you'll be very happy with your Hazard bag, very well made and very well thought out product line.
35 days...mailbox to mailbox

Return to “Off-Topic”