HB3218 set for hearing April 18th!

This sub-forum will open for posting on Sept. 1, 2012.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

styxx
Posts in topic: 6

Re: HB3218 set for hearing April 18th!

Post by styxx »

I just sent detailed e-mails to all committee members in support of 3218 and 2381, and in opposition to 1747. I will be calling each of their offices tomorrow to do the same. Please take the time to express your opinion before the hearings on 4/18. If we want to make any progress whatsoever, we need to make our voices heard clearly, logically, succinctly and respectfully and to do so in overwhelming numbers. If we fail to support the rights and freedoms we enjoy, we will be failing our children and grandchildren and we will continue to be hard pressed to simply hold what ground we already have.
:patriot:
Some days are better than others, but every day is a good day.

TREKFAN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TREKFAN »

Okay so! I will be there. Anyone else gonna be there? Can I carry there? What do I need to do to show support? Is there something I can sign to show support while there?
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

tornado
Posts in topic: 12

Post by tornado »

TREKFAN wrote:Can I carry there?
EDIT: Yes. :oops:

No.

46.035(c) says: A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity. (emphasis added)

If HB3218 becomes law, that part goes away (if I'm reading it correctly).
Last edited by tornado on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

styxx

Post by styxx »

Trekfan, if you are going to be there, you can sign up (right there in the committee room) to give testimony, or if you do not want to testify, you can sign up by registering your specific support of HB 3218 and HB 2381 (if you indeed support them) and your specific opposition to HB 1747 (if you indeed object to it) without wishing to speak formally at the podium. It would be a very good day for CHL holders in particular and the 2nd amendment in general if the hearing chamber could be filled to standing room only with supporters of 3218 and 2381 and objectors to 1747.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SewTexas »

your CHL gets you around the line though
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jb03

Post by jb03 »

tornado wrote:
No.

46.035(c) says: A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity. (emphasis added)

Reread the exception. Unless given 30.06 notice, you CAN carry at any meeting of a government entity.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

Thanks everyone! Ill be bringing two family members. I wont carry just to be safe. Last thing I want is to accidentally be exposed for some crazy reason and there being an article about someone carrying a gun with some spun. Thanks all!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 15

Post by RoyGBiv »

From Senator Dan Patrick.
I wrote to thank him for his comments on Fox News last week, pointed out HB 3218 and asked him to support the Senate counterpart when he saw it on the floor.

Still... a very positive answer, even for what I expect is a form reply.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your thoughts with me about gun rights in Texas. I am a strong proponent of Second Amendment rights. I am also a supporter of states' rights and believe that Texas should be in charge of governing our own state. I will continue supporting the right to carry guns and will oppose anything that might infringe on our constitutional rights.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TREKFAN wrote:Thanks everyone! Ill be bringing two family members. I wont carry just to be safe. Last thing I want is to accidentally be exposed for some crazy reason and there being an article about someone carrying a gun with some spun. Thanks all!
You can carry there; I do it every time I go to Austin.

Chas.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
TREKFAN wrote:Thanks everyone! Ill be bringing two family members. I wont carry just to be safe. Last thing I want is to accidentally be exposed for some crazy reason and there being an article about someone carrying a gun with some spun. Thanks all!
You can carry there; I do it every time I go to Austin.

Chas.
Thanks for the input and all that you do Chas!

JKTex
Posts in topic: 17

Post by JKTex »

tornado wrote:
No.

Someone else may have already corrected you but you need to keep reading. :mrgreen: Yes, you can carry in the Capitol, even "at any meeting of a Government entity".

TrueFlog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TrueFlog »

I'm calling all the committee members this morning re: 2381 and 3218. I'm also letting them know that these bills have a direct impact on me since my church meets in a school building and is thus off-limits, even though school is not in session.

Fletcher's office said they've been getting a lot of calls about these bills and that he supports "most 2nd Amendment bills". Flynn's office pointed out that the bills will not be voted on tomorrow, but that Flynn does plan to vote for both of them when the time comes. Simmons' office noted that the rep has a CHL and believes that CHL holders should be able to carry "wherever the heck they want."

tornado
Posts in topic: 12

Post by tornado »

jb03 wrote:
tornado wrote:
No.

Reread the exception. Unless given 30.06 notice, you CAN carry at any meeting of a government entity.
:oops: I'm always telling people to read all the way down, and I always remember the exceptions for b4-6, but this time I forgot c. I'll blame it on the fact that the last two times I went to the capitol, it was on school field trips with my kids, so I didn't carry or use the CHL line.

styxx

Post by styxx »

It is again time to stand up and be counted. If you have not already done so, I urge everyone to communicate with House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee members offices on bills 3218 and 2381 as well as 1747 using facts and logic, and doing so in a polite, calm and respectful manner.
I have just completed calling all of the House HSandPS Committee members offices expressing my support for 3218 and 2381 and pointing out the almost 20 year long record of outstanding conduct by CHL holders (as evidenced by the official DPS statistics) when compared to not only the public at large, but also even when compared to members of Texas law enforcement.
I was also able to communicate my opposition to 1747 which will, on the face of it, increase costs to both manufacturers and consumers, but just as importantly, could put a damper on bringing a lot of firearms and ammunition related jobs to Texas from less firearms friendly States or could even drive off some jobs that are already here.
I had several very good conversations with staff of the Representatives, including an excellent conversation with a very nice lady in Chairman Pickett's office.

danxdanger

Post by danxdanger »

RoyGBiv wrote:Please consider attending this meeting in Austin on Thursday.
This is THE 2A bill of the 2013 session.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83 ... 03218I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SECTION 5. Sections 46.15(a) and (b), Penal Code, are amended to read as follows:
(a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to:
<snip>
(5) a person who is carrying a concealed handgun and a
valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government
Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the
handgun the person is carrying.
Take a minute and READ 46.03 again.... Think about what this bill would do.... All those prohibited places... No longer prohibited.

PLEASE DO ALL YOU CAN TO SUPPORT HB 3218!
So if I understand this correctly, since 46.03 states "A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a)" then this bill would also mean that a CHL holder could now carry an illegal knife, club, or other prohibited weapon? If so, then that's just one more benefit of this bill. I really hope we can get this bill passed.

Return to “2013 Texas Legislative Session”